Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM
-

Good. Every time I read about that mummified cat I shudder. I hope their trials are covered by the media as well as the investigation has been.
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:47 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

When the OSPCA raided the shelter in Nov there were 55 staff tending to 1,100 animals many of which had lived for years in cages.

Since then 373 animals remain:

208 cats, 32 dogs, 122 small mammals & 11 birds

60 sick or wounded animals were euthanized, all others either adopted or went to other shelters who had space

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35880984...th-pet_health/
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

and with easter around the corner the number of "small" animals will rise, thanks for the update.
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sorry, GG, I couldn't open the link to read.

Here is my take (without reading the link posted):

Maybe I am pessimistic, but is it really believable that 700 were adopted out/sent to other shelters? Especially when adoptions were stopped for a while. Do other shelters really have that much room, but are telling people they are full when they aren't . And while they were closed and asking people to take their animals to the Toronto Animal shelter, and were these animals euthanized after TAC's "time limit" policy ran out?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 18th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I know our shelter here took in a few love4himmies, if I'm not mistaken (which I could be) someone said 9 or 10(one of which was a basset that a woman I know adopted).....and my bro told me they had some from Toronto at their spca in timmins. No idea how many there, he said they also had cats, but I doubt ours took in any cats, we have over and above the amount right now. but thats just a drop in the bucket of 700 I suppose

Last edited by Melinda; March 18th, 2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old March 21st, 2010, 05:34 PM
-

OSPCA press release re: Suspension of Foster program at the THS

http://www.ontariospca.ca/press_rele.../10_mar17.html
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:31 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am sure glad the OSPCA wasn't in charge of the shelter where Rose was housed before I officially adopted her, they would have euthanised her, she was just so angry at humans.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:16 PM
Senior Contributor

You really have to question what is written and what is true. I am at a complete loss.

Now has the OSPCA contacted any rescues to take any of these animals?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
You really have to question what is written and what is true. I am at a complete loss.

Now has the OSPCA contacted any rescues to take any of these animals?
Yes they have.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Yes they have.
Good to hear.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:17 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Sorry, GG, I couldn't open the link to read.

Here is my take (without reading the link posted):

Maybe I am pessimistic, but is it really believable that 700 were adopted out/sent to other shelters? Especially when adoptions were stopped for a while. Do other shelters really have that much room, but are telling people they are full when they aren't . And while they were closed and asking people to take their animals to the Toronto Animal shelter, and were these animals euthanized after TAC's "time limit" policy ran out?
I didn't see this post I'm looking at the brighter side After everything that's been said about the THS and all the suffering that went on for years ... I'd think that any shelter that offerered their help was because they were able to. Doubt they took them in to euthanize them nor refused other animals that needed to enter because they took them in. Besides, many people are watching what's going on at this shelter and every single animal must be accounted for
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
I didn't see this post I'm looking at the brighter side After everything that's been said about the THS and all the suffering that went on for years ... I'd think that any shelter that offerered their help was because they were able to. Doubt they took them in to euthanize them nor refused other animals that needed to enter because they took them in. Besides, many people are watching what's going on at this shelter and every single animal must be accounted for
It would be interesting to see the documentation and what became of any animals that were transferred out to other shelters.

Geesh if only the OSPCA cared about all the animals in mills and BYB's as much as they did about the animals at the THS, there would be none (mills/byb's) left in Ontario.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

if its a public place that takes donations, are we allowed to request documentation?? some things are open to public eyes and some aren't , I have no idea which is and which isn't
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
-

Quote:
It would be interesting to see the documentation and what became of any animals that were transferred out to other shelters.

Geesh if only the OSPCA cared about all the animals in mills and BYB's as much as they did about the animals at the THS, there would be none (mills/byb's) left in Ontario.
If the public would get more involved L4H then more could be done. They respond to every complaint they get. They can only do as much as the law allows unfortunately.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
If the public would get more involved L4H then more could be done. They respond to every complaint they get. They can only do as much as the law allows unfortunately.
I guess I am just very, very pessimistic. The OSPCA is not going to release any negative publicity and stating they euthanized or sent animals to high kill shelters would not be something they released voluntarily. I am not saying they did this because I don't know , but there are not too many shelters that have a lot of empty space unless they are euthanizing for space. It would be nice if they broke down the 700 into adopted and transferred, because 700 is an awful lot, especially when the shelter was closed for a bit.

They may respond to every complaint, but how much effort goes into shutting these places down . The amount of money spent on the THS could have probably helped out in convicting a whole lot of mills; they have limited resources like all non profit organizations. It would be the same as a small no kill shelter spending $10,000 on vet bills to save one animal when there are others that need medical attention too. Was this money spent in the wisest of ways, I guess is what I am pondering. I can't help feel sorry for those cats and dogs who have probably lost their lives and are the ones who suffer the consequences of human decisions .

Believe me, I am not saying the Tim didn't have to go, I firmly believe he did.

How about putting more funding into low cost spay/neuter clinics to alleviate the animal overpopulation.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
-

OSPCA to hold public meeting to discuss Toronto Humane Society

From OSPCA:

On Wednesday evening from 7:30 to 9:00 PM, we are inviting staff, volunteers and others interested in animal welfare to join us for an update of our current involvement with the Toronto Humane Society.

We know you appreciate that the Ontario SPCA has policing powers as it pertains to animal welfare in the province of Ontario, under the Ontario SPCA Act. We will not be able to discuss any of the details of our ongoing investigation or comment on the ongoing investigations of the Ministry of Natural Resources or the College of Veterinarians of Ontario.

There are, however, many aspects of animal care where an update may be of interest to you.

For those of you who have expressed concerns, please be aware that this gathering is not intended to be contentious but rather an opportunity to touch base and clarify the current status and next steps.

Please join us on Wednesday, March 24, from 7:30 to 9:00 PM at the Grand Hotel, 225 Jarvis Street and please feel free to ask a friend or two to join you.

I guess/hope some questions will be answered.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:22 PM
-

Quote:
I guess I am just very, very pessimistic. The OSPCA is not going to release any negative publicity and stating they euthanized or sent animals to high kill shelters would not be something they released voluntarily.

As for how many euthanized L4H, obviously I don't know, but they did not send any to high kill shelters and they have been doing adoptions since the beginning of the year...I know some people that have been down there and from what I hear, what they are doing is legit and what changes they have implemented were absolutely necessary.

They may respond to every complaint, but how much effort goes into shutting these places down . The amount of money spent on the THS could have probably helped out in convicting a whole lot of mills; they have limited resources like all non profit organizations.

As for "puppy mills", if they know about them, they respond....They can't do much if they do not know about these places.

It would be the same as a small no kill shelter spending $10,000 on vet bills to save one animal when there are others that need medical attention too. Was this money spent in the wisest of ways, I guess is what I am pondering.

Whether the money has been spent in the wisest of ways ....something had to be done about the THS, animals were suffering, some painful deaths in their cages to keep euthanization #'s low, is that humane?.......Unrestricted "Bully Breeds" that were illegal in this Province, what right is there to incarcerated an animal for life....the THS did not work with rescues, the OSPCA has.

Believe me, I am not saying the Tim didn't have to go, I firmly believe he did.

You got that right

How about putting more funding into low cost spay/neuter clinics to alleviate the animal overpopulation.
That is what they are trying to do, they have opened 2 to date...it costs a lot of money and as you said they have limited resources.
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:03 AM
-

It seems that the enigma of what the OSPCA is doing at the THS continues

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1511257/
Old March 25th, 2010, 10:26 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
They may respond to every complaint, but how much effort goes into shutting these places down . The amount of money spent on the THS could have probably helped out in convicting a whole lot of mills; they have limited resources like all non profit organizations. It would be the same as a small no kill shelter spending $10,000 on vet bills to save one animal when there are others that need medical attention too. Was this money spent in the wisest of ways, I guess is what I am pondering. I can't help feel sorry for those cats and dogs who have probably lost their lives and are the ones who suffer the consequences of human decisions .
From what I understand the problem is that when they try to close down a mill the owners of the mill just go somewhere else and open another one. Sometimes just to the next county.
OSPCA's hands are tied as to what they can do as well. They have to follow the letter of the law as far as fining, issuing orders to clean up the operation, etc. If the millers follow the orders and cleans up and promise to keep the dogs in humane conditions, and we all know that isn't much, then they can be back in operation pretty quickly. Court dates are a laugh as well. How many times are there continuances? How often does the miller just not bother to show up? And when they finally get to court they get a slap on the wrist.
It all goes back to dogs and cats being considered property. Until that changes nothing else will. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think until the OSPCA releases detailed information on what has happened to the 700 animals and other questions that people have, there will be rumours.

14+: I sure would like to know how much this ended up costing the OSPCA because I am thinking it is a whole lot of money that could have put to fight to have stricter laws put in place, especially for millers and byb's. There are thousands of pets that are living in hideous conditions that need to be saved in Ontario. Yes, I think they needed to go in and help the animals at the THS, but I think they have gone overboard.

Just my from an outsider looking in.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:35 AM
An Honest Contributor

Rumours have been breeding like fleas http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/s...max-results=50
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:38 AM
-

This is taken from the THS website this morning:

THS Facts

There have been various numbers circulating in the media with respect to outcomes of animals at the Toronto Humane Society.

Since November 27th, 2009 a total of 123 animals have been euthanized.

Since November 27th, 2009 a total of 793 animals have been adopted. This includes animals adopted from our Victoria Park location between November 26th – January 4th when our 11 River St. shelter was closed.

Birds – 19

Cats – 588

Dogs – 76

Reptiles – 5

Small Mammals – 105

As of 6:00am this morning (March 25th) there are currently 322 animals under in the custody of the THS.

Birds – 4

Cats – 205

Dogs – 25

Reptile – 1

Small Mammals – 87

These animals are at our 11 River St. location, 2802 Victoria Park location or in foster
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Chris - does the OSPCA euthanize due to the lack of space? I am confused if that was a question posed or if that was a statement.
Old March 26th, 2010, 11:46 AM
-

Quote:
Chris - does the OSPCA euthanize due to the lack of space? I am confused if that was a question posed or if that was a statement.
I know that York Region does with cats if they don't have enough room....I remember some years back the Fire Dept was gonna shut them down due to so many in the hallways. Some of their affiliates say they don't .....Dogs - never.
Old March 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I know that York Region does with cats if they don't have enough room....I remember some years back the Fire Dept was gonna shut them down due to so many in the hallways. Some of their affiliates say they don't .....Dogs - never.
Chris - do you know if they make any effort at all to contact rescues for cats?
Old March 26th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
This is taken from the THS website this morning:

THS Facts

There have been various numbers circulating in the media with respect to outcomes of animals at the Toronto Humane Society.

Since November 27th, 2009 a total of 123 animals have been euthanized.

Since November 27th, 2009 a total of 793 animals have been adopted. This includes animals adopted from our Victoria Park location between November 26th – January 4th when our 11 River St. shelter was closed.

Birds – 19

Cats – 588

Dogs – 76

Reptiles – 5

Small Mammals – 105

As of 6:00am this morning (March 25th) there are currently 322 animals under in the custody of the THS.

Birds – 4

Cats – 205

Dogs – 25

Reptile – 1

Small Mammals – 87

These animals are at our 11 River St. location, 2802 Victoria Park location or in foster
Thank you for posting those . That is the kind of data I like to see.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:36 PM
-

Quote:
Chris - do you know if they make any effort at all to contact rescues for cats?
From what I understand BenMax, if they get a larger number of a certain breed of cat (due possibly to a seizure) then they will contact a breed specific rescue. With the general population, if one shelter has a low count they will contact them and let them know that they have the room for X amount and then they are transferred.

Regular Cat rescues have cats coming out of the ying yang and are full
Old March 27th, 2010, 02:19 PM
An Honest Contributor

Black Friday at the THS 6 dogs & 19 cats were pts yesterday
http://onebarkatatime.blogspot.com/s...max-results=50
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM
-

This just makes me sick to my stomach ....IMO the OSPCA had more than a say in it. That being said, had the THS worked with Rescues from day one then this would not have occurred. On the THS website it says "Under our NEW euthanasia policy"........

All 6 dogs were Pitties
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
This just makes me sick to my stomach ....IMO the OSPCA had more than a say in it. That being said, had the THS worked with Rescues from day one then this would not have occurred. On the THS website it says "Under our NEW euthanasia policy"........

All 6 dogs were Pitties
and the NEW policy is not to let animals die in humane traps in the ceiling joists???
I have been avoiding this thread for just this reason.....

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge