Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 18th, 2004, 11:59 AM

Pup Visiting Grandma - ok for a week?

Morning all,

My boyfriend wants a break from our little pup and wants to leave her with his mom for a week. We've had her for about 3-1/2 months now and I haven't been away from her for more than 4 or 5 hours at any time - I think 2 times since we've had her... She pretty much comes any and everywhere with me except when I'm grocery shopping or the rare occasion that I go out. She even comes to work with me too - which I love! (In her house behind me quietly chewing her bone now :-)
His mom has a big back yard, 3 dogs for her to romp and play with and is taking a week off - so I'm not worried that she'll be alone or bored. What I'm worried about is that she'll feel like I've / we've abandoned her and / or get confused over where her home is and who is her family.
Am I just being a crazy overprotective mom? Just selfish and worried that I'll miss her too much?
If it were my choice I wouldn't leave her at all, but he says that we need some alone time. And yes - I think I pay more attention to her than him... I was thinking more like a couple of days. Would that be ok?

Please let me know what you all think. Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:11 PM

It'll be just fine. Nothing like a little play time over at Grandma's to give puppy something to excitedly tell you about next time he sees you.

Don't worry about leaving him there. We're leaving Diamond at our friend's house for a week in January, when we go to Mexico. As long as the dogs meet ahead of time, and they hit it off right off the bat, then a visit at Grandma's is just the refreshing ticket you two might need.
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't see anything wrong with letting your pup go to someone who you know will provide loving care for a week, as long as care is taken to make sure the older dogs don't hurt her. Don't worry - she will know where her home is! It will be like summer camp for her.

What concerns me is your b/f wanting a "break" from this puppy. Is he jealous of her? Sees her as competition for your attention? IF so, this is a whole different problem which may not improve.

No one should have to ship a dog out of the house to get a "break". A break from what? Is your puppy out of control, badly behaved....? If so, obedience school would be more appropriate than his mom's house.
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

agree

I have to agree with LR on this one. It is definitely a worry as time goes on if he still feels this way. Maybe it's just his way of saying pay more attention to me but it is worrysome.
Old November 18th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Ling,
I know how you feel, I am leaving Cano at my friend's house for atleast 8 hours, while I am at a new parent class tomorrow. The class runs from 8 am to 4 pm. And I feel that he may be down all day, and think that he is being punished. But atleast he has 2 playmates to pass the time away, and he is only a block or so away from home. I don't think Cano will have a huge problem with it, and it will be better for him, especially after what he went through a few days ago with the neighborhood kids.

I don't think a week would bother your puppy at all. Especially if she has plenty of playmates. I think that is is just overly-worried mother issue, just like me.
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:04 PM

Thanks everyone! I guess I'm just a worry wart! Glad to have all you knowledgable people around to give me valuable advice.

And Lilith - I've read about poor Cano's experience. I can't believe it about the horrible children! It seems like kids are getting bolder and less respectful each and every day! I hope that he's ok and that if it ever happens again you catch them in the act and make them pay!

And yes - I think that my BF is a little jealous of her. He's the one that bought her for me as a companion. But both of us being first time dog owners I guess we underestimated the amount of time and dedication that it took to have a small pup in our family, and that's probably why I worry about each and every little detail - when she's not feeling well, which food to feed her, what toys are ok, am I giving her enough excercise etc, etc, etc.... I don't mind spending the time and energy, I enjoy it and love her to death - maybe a bit too much. But he likes to have quiet lazy time and she turns to him when she wants to be rowdy and play. She still barks and bites (more like nips) him. He doesn't quite have the patience that I do, which sometimes contributes to the problem of her barking and nipping him, and is kind of sad that she listens to me much more than she listens to him.

She's getting better every day though. She's actually very well behaved most of the time. She's caught on pretty quick that being good gets rewarded and bad gets the "Bad dog" and mad look from me. Can sit, down, paw, high five, wait - (all those with just hand commands now - yes I'm a proud mom!), plays ball, sits nice while I put her seatbelt in the car, and heels (well only 50% of the time till she sees people, dogs, or a leaf rolling in the wind :-)

Ok - rambled enough. Gotta get back to work. Thanks again!
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Ling,

Cano listens to me better than he does James as well. The only conclusion we have came to, is that I am home ALL day everyday, and James is only home nights and weekends, so the interaction between the two of them is far less than the interaction between Cano and me. Cano sees James more as a playmate instead of the lead dog. Cano is getting better at taking commands from James though. He has figured out that if he doesn't listen to James like he listens to me, James won't play with him, at all.

James and I also were first time "parents" with Cano. So we didn't expect what we got. It is alot of work, and James got frusterated alot in the first few months. Luckily, when he did need a break, he would just go to our friend's house for the day, while I worked on the issue, that James was frusterated with, with Cano. There are some issues with think Cano will never get over, i.e. him getting all nutty when we are doing tricks (he gets really hyper). but these issues we have figured out, that it is just his personality, and in general, he's a wonderful companion, and his small flaws don't really bother us anymore.

Cano knows the same tricks that your puppy does. It took him a while to get "lay down" but this week, he is able to do it, even if you don't have a treat for him. I think he was getting it confused with "get down". This term we used for him jumping and getting on the couch when not invited. Which he is invited most of the time, as long as we don't have company.
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM

Talking you love your puppy thats for sure

if theres a back yard and other dogs to play with shes be fine well no shell be in doggy paradise dont worry
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Something to think about.....

Be sure that your boyfriends mother follows the same training and routine that you have started. This is very important for the pup, as it won't know which way is up by the time it needs to leave the other home.

I'm sure it will have loads of fun, however, I would be concerned about your b/f jealousy of the pup. I see a problem coming already....

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:29 PM

We've been over there before and she loves one of the dogs - follows him around all over the place. It's sooo cute! One she tries to cuddle with but the small one doesn't like her to much - bark, bark, bark... I'm sure that she'll have tons of fun over there, but she learnt drinking out of the toilet last time!
I'll make sure that she knows no human food and no up on the furniture - yet. She's not so good with the "off" command so until she's mastered that she's not allowed on the couches or bed.

And it's not so bad with the BF jealousy. I think that he just didn't expect quite so much - neither of us did - he's sat for his mom & her adult dogs, but it's nothing compared to training a pup! In addition - she just lets them romp and play out in the backyard - we have to be the substitutes for that and play with her and take her for walks, walks and more walks! As well as he gets frustrated when she just won't leave him alone sometime. Sounds just like what Lilith describes about Cano and James. She listens to me more because she sees me as the alpha animal and him more as her playmate. He'll get frustrated and go upstairs or out while I work with Ling. But like I said before - she's getting better every day!

PS - she's the little one
Attached Images

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Ling,

She is pretty. Looks like she loves to play with that other doggy.
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it will good for her to visit grandma for awhile. I am sure she will have fun and of course it's always harder for you than it is for them. The last time I labsat for my brother, he called twice in the first night to see how his baby - all 95 punds and 4 years old -was doing, lol