Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 19th, 2017, 01:41 AM

Help me help this crow

There is a crow who broke his wing in such a way that it can't be fixed. We have no wild animal sanctuaries in our area that can take him, and in our area it is not legal to keep a crow as a pet. So right now he is hidden in a cage in the storage room. They are feeding him wet cat food. Don't have the option to euthanize him. What can I do to improve his situation? I was thinking about bringing him meat and fruit and bread to eat, but beyond that I am stumped.
Old May 19th, 2017, 02:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Made some phone calls see if there is any vet willing to treat wild animals . I brought a crow to a vet b/c it was attacked by group of birds . The vet returned the bird to where I found it and if was done for free.
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:00 PM

Hello Silverwind:

Read your post about the crow.

Maybe an email to "Wild at Heart Refuge Centre" in Sudbury, Ontario, might be able to help you with your dilemna. I've known these people for years, even before they set up the rescue centre. At that time I found them extremely pleasant to deal and work with.

They handle between 800 and 1000 wild animals a year - which includes anything wild - and they might be able to offer some advice. Or possibly where the crow can be sent for help and rehabilitation.

http://wahrefugecentre.org/?q=conten...-refuge-centre

Go to their web site and under Contact Us, there is an email address and also a phone number.

Hope this might be of some help to you.
Old May 20th, 2017, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Can you ask around of Vets in your area? Maybe one who works on domestic birds could help? I know here in ONtario my VEt (now retired) did a lot of wild and exotic animal work before we had a wild animal refuge. You might find someone the same near you in B.C.? Sometimes acting in this way might be just a wee bit under the table, for the Vet, so I'd ask judiciously. Start with your own Vet.