Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:33 AM

****zu pet coughing and shortness of breath

Hi there!! This is my first time here, and I'm very concerned about our family pet, Benji. He is 12yrs. old and has always been very happy and healthy, except for a heart-murmur, since he was a puppy. We lost our other pet 2 years ago.and he was the same breed of dog. He died of old age and was 14yrs. Benji has been coughing and having a hard time breathing for the past few weeks, off and on. He is still active for his age and his eating habits haven't changed much. If anyone has experienced this kinda problem with their pet, and can help me with some info at this time, i would love to hear from you!! He means the world to us and is the baby!! I live in a rural area and my finances cannot let me pay a huge vet. bill at this time. He does not have this condition constantly, but it is more often now, the past few days!! I'm hoping to get any helpful suggestions at this time.

Benji's#1 Fan

Last edited by Benji's_#1Fan; August 22nd, 2004 at 08:38 AM. Reason: My dog is having breathing difficulties and I'm very concerned and worried!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

You need to have your vet check Benji. It's very common for older dogs to have a heart murmur and also congestive heart failure. I don't know if Benji has that or not, but it's a condition where the heart enlarges and presses close to the lung, giving the dog the sensation of needing to cough. I had an older dog with this and it can be treated with diuretics and medication. My dog lived an additional 2 years on meds and did very well. Don't delay seeing your vet. I'm sure they can work out some payment arrangements. This is something that needs to be treated.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 10:28 AM

Yeah. Glasslass is right. You have to go see your vet. We have a friend with a 13 year old bichon/shih tzu cross and he has the same problem. His heart is enlarged and pressing against his lungs so he is always coughing and has to breath twice as fast jsut to get enough air. The vet's have put him on meds, but it is still bugging him and just delaying the inevitible....She is considering putting him to rest soon. Maybe your dog will do better with the medication than hers is right now. Good luck to you and keep us posted!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM

Thank-you very much for your sound advice about Benji's health matter!! I didn't think that I would even get a response so quickly! Thanks again to "glasslass" and "heeler's rock!", as i know now that there is no quick cure, other than to see the vet!! I will give an update on Benji's condition soon. We live in rural Newfoundland, Canada, and are pleased to hear from our neighbors across the ocean!! Take care and have a great day!!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 12:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Please do let us know and keep us updated. We'd love to see photos!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
banned user

hi There,

I wanted to comment and say I agree with heeler's rock.
The reason is my 12 yr old Shih Tzu Buster was the same as your fine for days and than back coughing not wanted to go for walks eat much or play at all. It did not get better, it was just as heeler's rock worte. I did what I thought was best and let him go, I am not telling you to do this but please take him to a Vet. Good Luck
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:03 PM

Hey, you're welcome for the advise! We're always here to lend a hand when we can! It's nice to hear from the other side of the country too! Definitely post some pics and keep us updated! Take care!