Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 18th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Fortunately the powers that be are usually very kind and I have even seen some bones healing without any intervention more in the 3rd world but also in1st world countries. I have personally been forced to try this here in Canada based on my past experiences, where I had to let a puppy’s back leg heal after a complete fracture, with painkillers and time only. This dog is still alive and walking fine as a 4 year old Pitbull and you would never say anything happened to it ever.

Unfortunately the owners could not afford surgery and they tried based on my past experiences to let nature takes it course and we were just very lucky. I am not suggesting that we do nothing with your kitten, I am just suggesting that many times the body is kind. Bandaging it is usually rec. for stability and it looks quite well bandaged.

After xrays, it can be determined if surgery is needed and this is still usually the best means of treatment in most fractures but all depends on how bad and how many places the bones are broken. The best you can do is provide TLC and bring food to the kitten and try and rest it as much as possible. There are not many human painkillers that can safely be used on cats so try and avoid them. Some eg. Tylenol products can cause a fatal anemia.

I hope by the time you get this reply, you will have managed to find proper veterinary care and the prognosis for the kitten hopefully will be favourable. Healing is usually much faster in a kittens than adults.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units 40-42
Thornhill, Ont.
L4J 7Y3
Tel. (905) 771-9855