Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
-

I'm so glad to hear that Ridge is doing much better. That must be such a big relief for you and Daddy Runpack.

Hope she continues to heal quickly.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Way to go Ridge

I too am one of those types who must itch no matter what the consequences. So Ridge will be in good company with her scars.... you should see the scars on my legs from bug bites. I look like I have permanent chicken pox

Here's hoping for lots more twitchy, snorty, snuffy dreams! For both Ridge and Hazel and Mister Run Pack
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've been pushing the dose of rimadyl to the max--had to give her an extra half-dose about 3 p.m. each of the past few days because she'd be miserable as it wore off. Today *drum roll please* she slept right through and hasn't needed a 'refresher'! Hurrah! Yay! Whoopee!!!!

*watch it hazel, you're gonna jinx us!!! shhhhhhh*

Now if she'd just pee and/or poop today, we'd really be relieved

Thanks for all the good healing vibes! They seem to be working!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; January 12th, 2008 at 05:55 PM. Reason: hazel's brain appears to be well and truly fried.
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww your poor baby and poor you for having to see her like that I hope she gets better soon
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Thanks, Toonces! Her face seems so much better today--still looks like toasted marshmallow, but definitely less swollen and less ooze! She's got a long way to go, though.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Well it sounds like she is receiving the best of care!! It always amazes me how dogs cope with things, they never complain and just take it in stride, alot of human folks I know could learn alot from dogs. I will say extra prayers for her tonite for a speedy recovery, pls give her a soft kiss from me and my gang
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Doggie Wench

Whoopie for Ridge!!! And Hazel Momma and Daddy too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Now if she'd just pee and/or poop today, we'd really be relieved
Maybe an extra serving or two of liver might help?
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks for the prayers, Toonces, and I'll pass on the tender kisses

LP, I'm not so worried about the pooping, but the lack of potty has me worried. Usually she has a two hour bladder--she drinks and has to pee within 2 hours. Today she's not peed at all! We know she's drinking some...not a lot. Sort of worrisome.

Old January 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Doggie Wench

This might be a longshot....what if you took her someplace she doesn't usually go pee? Like a short walk up the road? When I take our guys out, even though they just went in the yard, they always pee by the time we reach the corner of the street. I'm guessing they get excited? change of scenery? and need to go .
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
This might be a longshot....what if you took her someplace she doesn't usually go pee? Like a short walk up the road? When I take our guys out, even though they just went in the yard, they always pee by the time we reach the corner of the street. I'm guessing they get excited? change of scenery? and need to go .
I think part of the problem might be that we won't let her put her head down. If it even looks like she's going to try to rub her nose, we bring her head up. She likes to sniff...

Maybe if hubby takes her up along the drive, where there are no crusty snowbanks to tempt her nose... I'll suggest that next time she goes out. Worth a try! Thanks for the suggestion!

Old January 12th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Remembering Lukka

Hope the walk along the drive will help to get her peeing hazel
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
Hope the walk along the drive will help to get her peeing hazel
If I can figure out why she's not peeing, LM, I'll send you the secret for Lukka! Maybe I should get Ridge some pred!

Old January 12th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Remembering Lukka

The water works and the poops are all in full swing over here. I really do hope that Ridge goes pee pee on her walk with her daddy. Being a mom is so stressful sometimes. I don't think my son ever caused me as much worry as Lukka does
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maybe I shoulda had skin kids instead, then. hazel has gotten so gray since she became a Pack leader!

Old January 12th, 2008, 11:58 PM
-

GRAY???? .....someone told me that was a sign of wisdom.

For Ridge only....

Briiiiing ...... Briiiing

Hello???

You gotta make mom feel better Ridge.
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
GRAY???? .....someone told me that was a sign of wisdom.

For Ridge only....

Briiiiing ...... Briiiing

Hello???

You gotta make mom feel better Ridge.

That's perfect, rainbow!

She didn't pee, but she did just poop. Since it was a lovely poop, we are operating under the assumption that her water metabolism is working just fine and that she's using the water to do other things than make urine--things like moistening her food and fighting her infection. She seems in good spirits, but we've been noticing she gets cold awfully quickly--trembles a lot outside and sometimes when in bed. And, of course, her nose seems pretty itchy.

If she isn't any better tomorrow as far as the peeing and the trembling, ol' hazel will be talkin' to the vet again. I'm sure they live for these off-hour calls!

Old January 13th, 2008, 12:47 AM
-

I hope she pees soon. The trembling is a wee bit concerning.
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:57 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I hope she pees soon. The trembling is a wee bit concerning.
We think so, too.

Old January 13th, 2008, 01:06 AM
-

Old January 13th, 2008, 02:12 AM
Addicted to puppy

Hazel, I know I don't need to tell you this, but a red flag just raised for me. With her taking all the meds and severe infection I am worried about her kidneys. Infections can become systemic in people and kidney failure is one of the first complications. Especially since she was so lethargic the other day I am worried. If she isn't peeing at all I think you should call the vet at least by tomorrow morning.

Is she not peeing as much, or none at all? Ridge I hope I am just being silly and you are ok

RIP Shade I will never forget your sweet smile
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:23 AM

Good call Shredy (what did I tell you - Fantabulous Nurse )

How much water is she drinking compared to normal? maybe encourage her to drink more frequently

Ridge for a good pee tomorrow

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredy View Post
Hazel, I know I don't need to tell you this, but a red flag just raised for me. With her taking all the meds and severe infection I am worried about her kidneys. Infections can become systemic in people and kidney failure is one of the first complications. Especially since she was so lethargic the other day I am worried. If she isn't peeing at all I think you should call the vet at least by tomorrow morning.

Is she not peeing as much, or none at all? Ridge I hope I am just being silly and you are ok
She didn't pee at all today.

Her water intake is hard to judge--normally she won't drink clean water, only water tainted by Ember--he's a sloppy drinker She'll drink his leavings even if she's not thirsty--and isn't one to hold it long...a few hours and she usually pees. That's why we're worried.

Lately, she's had to drink clean water (she usually shares a bowl with Ember and takes in the slime as he drools it out ) and hasn't had much at all.

What other symptoms would there be if her kidneys were shutting down?

Do you think this warrants a call to the vet now? We're an hour and a quarter away...it's 1:30 here...

Old January 13th, 2008, 03:59 AM

will Ridge eat her breakfast if you add an extra cup or 2 of water to it?

Will Ember drink automatically if you put the dish infront of him? if so do that beside Ridge then grab the bowl after Ember drinks & hold it up for Ridge

I think she should be okay till morning, if you can get her to drink between now & then would be ideal, even if she doesn't pee

Obviously, not all dogs with Chronic Renal Failure will exhibit all of these symptoms. They are listed in the order in which they generally appear.

Increased water consumption (polydipsia)
Frequent urination (polyuria)
Dilute urine (little color or odor, because the kidneys are no longer capable of concentrating urine)
Depression
Diminished appetite (anorexia)
Discoloration of teeth
Chemical odor to the breath
Nausea and vomiting (seen particularly with a very high BUN (blood urea nitrogen)) Dogs who are nauseated often lick their noses repeatedly
Muscle weakness and exercise intolerance
Weight loss
Pale mucous membranes because of anemia
Oral (mouth) ulcers
* Shivering (from diminished number of red blood cells that result from the anemia seen in renal failure) or trauma/blood loss/infection
Muscle wasting
Diarrhea

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 13th, 2008, 04:17 AM
-

Stupid question Hazel and I'm sure you already did that but do you take her cone off when you take her outside ?
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Probably a stupid observation,but could not the trembling be because of her beeing itchy and not beeing able to scratch
for no kidneyprobs.
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Remembering Lukka

Oh I hope, I hope, I hope she pee'd. Did she pee hazel?
Old January 13th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I hope she is better today
kisses and hugs for Ridge..
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Remembering Lukka

I am starting to get concerned, hazel should have been here to update by now, it's already after 10:30am.
Old January 13th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Half Way To Crazy

maybe with the pack and the conpresses, she needs more time or her concention might not be good..

well thats what I am hopeing

Old January 13th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Remembering Lukka

You're probably right about that connection thing.