Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM

Charlie is sick

So those of you following my other thread, "Overweight Cat", may know that Charlie's been picky about his food lately. It all came to a head today when he refused to eat canned tuna. We got really worried because he hasn't been acting like himself over the last few days - he's been kind of lethargic and just not the happy, friendly boy he normally is.

We took him to the emergency vet clinic and the vet suspects fatty liver disease. She said it may also be a form of pancreatitis or cholangeohepatitis - but fatty liver fits most. He was dehydrated and even showing the beginning of jaundice. I am so very upset. I thought we were doing everything to avoid this. He was losing a normal, healthy amount of weight so we're not sure what caused this. The vet suggested in this case it may be idiopathic.

They've kept him overnight and here we are, $1000 later and not sure how we're going to pay for more tests/treatments. They're going to do blood work (she said "blood gases"), give him some injections for the dehydration, some antibiotics, an appetite stimulant, etc. She said without an ultrasound, we can't know 100% if it's fatty liver. She believes we brought him in early enough that something can be done - but I'm so worried we won't be able to afford it. We've drained our emergency vet fund.

I just needed to vent. Any advice, support, anything at all would be greatly appreciated. If it is fatty liver, can we bring him home tomorrow and treat it ourselves - feeding him every 2 hours with a syringe, etc? Or was it best to leave him at the hospital?
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

hey EOF, did you take the kitty to the clinic on Winston Churchill? They took excellent care of my sisters kitty when she got sick, but holy expensive. for Charlie.
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM

That's exactly where we went. The vet was very nice and is supposed to call us with an update around midnight. I couldn't believe how expensive it was just for him to stay 24 hours. The $1000 was our "low end". The "high end" would have cost us over $1900. She offered us an "ultimate low" option, which was to do some blood work, treat him for the dehydration, and send him home with some appetite stimulants and food formula - and then for us to try to force feed him every 2 hours or so. But she seriously recommended we leave him there...I always worry that they do that to make more money, but I'm so worried for him that I just took her advice. Did I do the right thing?
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i personally can't say. I know its gonna be a financial burdon, its the long weekend, nothings open, hmmmm have a quick garage sale.
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM

Trust me, I'm planning to take some jewelry to a pawn shop or something. I will do whatever it takes, it's just really stressing me out and I'm so worried for Charlie :sad::sad::sad: If we caught it in time, it should be treatable...
Old September 5th, 2009, 10:56 PM
-

well if you need to rant and rave feel free to toddle over and scream or somethin the boys love company.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
So those of you following my other thread, "Overweight Cat", may know that Charlie's been picky about his food lately. It all came to a head today when he refused to eat canned tuna. We got really worried because he hasn't been acting like himself over the last few days - he's been kind of lethargic and just not the happy, friendly boy he normally is.

We took him to the emergency vet clinic and the vet suspects fatty liver disease. She said it may also be a form of pancreatitis or cholangeohepatitis - but fatty liver fits most. He was dehydrated and even showing the beginning of jaundice. I am so very upset. I thought we were doing everything to avoid this. He was losing a normal, healthy amount of weight so we're not sure what caused this. The vet suggested in this case it may be idiopathic.

They've kept him overnight and here we are, $1000 later and not sure how we're going to pay for more tests/treatments. They're going to do blood work (she said "blood gases"), give him some injections for the dehydration, some antibiotics, an appetite stimulant, etc. She said without an ultrasound, we can't know 100% if it's fatty liver. She believes we brought him in early enough that something can be done - but I'm so worried we won't be able to afford it. We've drained our emergency vet fund.

I just needed to vent. Any advice, support, anything at all would be greatly appreciated. If it is fatty liver, can we bring him home tomorrow and treat it ourselves - feeding him every 2 hours with a syringe, etc? Or was it best to leave him at the hospital?
I just pm'd you. Simba had pancreatitis and refused to eat or drink. She had a feeding tube for 3 months. It saved her life. I say GET IT but be prepared it takes ALOT of work and patience to make it work. If you are committed it could save charlie's life. It saved Simba's. I never thought it would come out and all of a sudden one day she started to eat! It was alot like caring for a newboarn baby. Have you done that? If you have an are prepared to do that for Charlie it could help.

About the money: I spent a total of $16k on Simba: about $8k on the feeding tubes and tests and hospital and IV's.

I give Simba IV fluids now myself. The vet taught me. We do it 2x a week but that will increase in time. You CAN get thru this. Simba's experience was the most horrific of my life and I never thought she would make uit but my sweet girl is still here DO NOT GIVE UP ON CHARLIE. People will tell you when an animal doesn't want to eat they want to die. Don't believe it. When an animal doesn't eat they are sick. HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Old September 6th, 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meow View Post
I just pm'd you. Simba had pancreatitis and refused to eat or drink. She had a feeding tube for 3 months. It saved her life. I say GET IT but be prepared it takes ALOT of work and patience to make it work. If you are committed it could save charlie's life. It saved Simba's. I never thought it would come out and all of a sudden one day she started to eat! It was alot like caring for a newboarn baby. Have you done that? If you have an are prepared to do that for Charlie it could help.

About the money: I spent a total of $16k on Simba: about $8k on the feeding tubes and tests and hospital and IV's.

I give Simba IV fluids now myself. The vet taught me. We do it 2x a week but that will increase in time. You CAN get thru this. Simba's experience was the most horrific of my life and I never thought she would make uit but my sweet girl is still here DO NOT GIVE UP ON CHARLIE. People will tell you when an animal doesn't want to eat they want to die. Don't believe it. When an animal doesn't eat they are sick. HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Hey meow, I got the PM, thanks. I'll message you back soon!

I can't say I've ever taken care of a newborn baby. I am willing to do whatever I can to save Charlie...I love him so much. On a really good note, we went in to the vet to visit Charlie, even though we were told we wouldn't be able to feed him. He looked much better - he was purring, meowing, and headbutting, none of which he'd done for days. The vet did end up allowing us to try feeding him because we got there after 9 pm...and he ate! It was just a few mouthfuls, but he seemed quite interested in the food. The vet was saying that we may not need to do a feeding tube at all, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

Wow, $16,000 is a lot of money. I personally don't even have enough credit cards with high enough limits to charge that much. But I already decided that I would get a loan if I had to...

I would not give up on Charlie until he was giving up himself...and I don't mean the not eating bit. I've never heard someone say that if an animal stops eating, it wants to die - what a horrible thing to say. That does NOT indicate to me that Charlie is ready to go. He's only 4 years old. He absolutely has a long life left to live and he looked so much better today, I know we can get through it. Thanks for the message of hope, meow. I couldn't ask for better support...my parents are asking why I don't put him to sleep, "it's too much money to spend on a cat". But I knew I could count on this community to understand!
Old September 7th, 2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndOfFashion View Post
we went in to the vet to visit Charlie, even though we were told we wouldn't be able to feed him. He looked much better - he was purring, meowing, and headbutting, none of which he'd done for days. The vet did end up allowing us to try feeding him because we got there after 9 pm...and he ate! It was just a few mouthfuls, but he seemed quite interested in the food. The vet was saying that we may not need to do a feeding tube at all, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much
When my grrl Duffy was is in ER for a couple of days/nights there were times when she wouldn't eat for them, but would for me - sometimes it's just because it's an unfamiliar environment. The next time you talk to the staff ask if they will let you bring a treat that Charlie absolutely loves to try to stimulate his appetite a little more. I brought in some bbq chicken skin-removed for Duffy and it turned out she was more interested in the canned I had than the chicken, so I asked if the cat in the kennel next to her could have some cuz she wasn't eating either - the chicken jump started her appetite & she finished all the food her people were trying to get her to eat. Duffy did finish most of her own canned by that time as well.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
When my grrl Duffy was is in ER for a couple of days/nights there were times when she wouldn't eat for them, but would for me - sometimes it's just because it's an unfamiliar environment. The next time you talk to the staff ask if they will let you bring a treat that Charlie absolutely loves to try to stimulate his appetite a little more. I brought in some bbq chicken skin-removed for Duffy and it turned out she was more interested in the canned I had than the chicken, so I asked if the cat in the kennel next to her could have some cuz she wasn't eating either - the chicken jump started her appetite & she finished all the food her people were trying to get her to eat. Duffy did finish most of her own canned by that time as well.
Growler, that's exactly what we were going to do (the vet had asked us to) until I called the hospital to get a quick update on Charlie before we left to visit him. The vet tech told me at that point that Charlie had vomited so they weren't going to try feeding him again until 10 pm. So I came empty-handed, but then we met with the vet and she told us that since it was 9 pm we could try to feed him Unfortunately what they gave us was canned Royal Canin Sensitivity But Charlie ate some of it!

We just tried to get an update now, but somebody's supposed to call back. Depending on what they say, we may try again today...although technically they don't allow visitors today.

How soon after Duffy started eating did they let her come home? Does the cat have to start eating every time she's offered food in order to be released, or will they release the kitty after it's shown interest in food a few times, and let the owner try to force feed/stimulate appetite at home?
Old September 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Pet Guardian

What are they giving him for the vomiting? Pepcid?

The fact he ate a little is a good sign. Do NOT put him down unless YOU are ready to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even had a vet suggest it to me and tell me I went to much greater lengths to save simba than he would have for his pet! I did NOT listen to him and I still have my girl Sorry to say if your parents are talking this way I would NOT leave charlie in their care. I would find an alternative.

Did they give charlie a PLI test? This will show if he has pancreatitis. simba had (has?) is. Nothing can be done for it but time. with time it settles down...most of the time