Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old January 25th, 2007, 06:33 AM

Is it me??

Am I alone in hating the word BITCH when talking about female dogs? I know that is the proper term, but it just don't sound right to me. I think that if I was walking my two "Little girl dogs" and someone said "nice bitches" I would probaly slug them ,lol. What's everyone else's opinion??
Dobb
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Does not bother me figuring it is a term used highly in the show ring.... It is what it is....
Old January 25th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Actually, it's the idiots using the term wrong that have made it sound wrong when used right (read that one over, it does make sense). Like the name Dick ... I mean who would want to be called Dick ...
Old January 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Half Way To Crazy

your not alone I can't stand it either. the term bitch is use so often and loosly about women that we have learned to hate it, I to wish they could come up with another word for female dogs and wipe the word out intirely. I don't even like the term "mutt".
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Honest Contributor

LOL i saw a t-shirt that said "you say BITCH like it's a bad thing" i actually like the term and often call maika "my little bitch", specially when she's being super-sweet

too bad people have basturdized that word to death. what are we supposed to use now, "girl dogs"?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:

Last edited by technodoll; January 25th, 2007 at 11:49 AM.
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Half Way To Crazy

not sure what word to use, but we will come up with something, i have faith lol
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Half Way To Crazy

how about the word cadela it is portugues it means the same thing but it sounds better don't you think
or how about cagna (italy)
Old January 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

'Bitch' was used for female dogs long before it was applied to women. Same goes for 'slut'. If you look at US tax records during the Civil War, there is a 'slut tax'. It threw me for a loop until someone told me that the old word for a female dog was a slut. So maybe when 'slut' became a nasty word, the designation was changed to 'bitch' by dog lovers...?

What we oughtta be complaining about is that once these otherwise innocuous names start getting applied to women, they take on that nasty connotation! What's with that?! The use of the term "cur" for a guy just doesn't have the same nasty taste to it...

Using the term bitch in the proper way doesn't bother me though. I'm with TD...my girls are sweet little bitches when they're on their cuddliest behavior!
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I understand that, but since it is use too often as a negative word for women and not just for female dogs, it erks me to no end.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Honest Contributor

breeze, you can turn that around though... use the word often in the right context (when speaking to and about your bitches) and your mind will accept the changes eventually

Old January 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Half Way To Crazy

This is true technodoll, I try not using the word at all if i can help it, but I will try it in a possitive manner (see if it will work). until then i think i will just use there names lol
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Great posts!! I have to agree with Breeze though,,hate the word, but if used in the right way it is alright.
Dobb
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Honest Contributor

you should see the looks i get sometimes in public when i speak to or about maika, as being my sweet little bitch! LOL then i explain... it's the correct word for a female dog... i'm surprised at how many people don't know that

Old January 25th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Half Way To Crazy

we should not have to explain the word , that is what i mean the word is used to often for other things.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:25 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobb View Post
Am I alone in hating the word BITCH when talking about female dogs?
That word makes me cringe as the only one that uses that term is someone who's either in the breeding business or assumes you are
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
That word makes me cringe as the only one that uses that term is someone who's either in the breeding business or assumes you are
I hate the word and when someone uses that term, the first thing I think is that person must be breeding the dog. It's a female to me. Not a bitch aka breeding machine aka I'm making money off my dog (just my opinion, that's what comes to my mind when people use that term)
Old January 26th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
OMG i SO disagree

bitch is the correct and designated word for "female dog" just as "sow" is to "pig" and "mare" is to "horse". Cow/bull. Hen/cock. Doe/buck... Just because common dialect has basturdized the word to be an insult to women (and to some men!) doesn't mean its only use today in relation to the female dog is of breeding purposes. it's pretty convoluted, LOL! IMO the only way to correct this gross interpretation is to use the word bitch in its right context often (ie whenever talking about a female dog no matter the age or purpose), to educate the public and to stop being offended for using a correct word for a correct designation wooof!

but it can still be funny sometimes

http://www.t-shirthumor.com/Merchant...ze/bchb_lg.gif

Old January 26th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Kitty Consort

It's interesting how using the canine term bitch for women has become an insult, while referring to a man as a "stud" complimentary.

Technicallly the bitch is a female dog.. period,that is true.

In canine terms, they both signify an unaltered dog to most, I'd say.
It's just the way it has evolved in common usage.

If all female dogs are bitches, including spayed..what is the counterpart for a neutered male?
Male and bitch sounds odd to me when used together to denote gender for pets.

In the cat world.. an unaltered breeding female is called a queen. ( SO much nicer ) Once spayed.. she's a female.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Its never really bothered me the only thing that boggles my mind is... why is a female cat a Queen??? And a female canine is a Bitch?
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:49 PM

If you call a woman a bitch, she doesn't like it. If you call a woman a dog, she doesn't like it either! Ha! Maybe it's just a canine thing! Frankly, at least where I used to live, no one called their female dogs bitches, everything was just a dog. A bitch was reserved for girls you didn't like. Although it is the proper term for a female dog, I think that it is used more (at least in urban and suburban areas) to describe women. Now that I live in a farming area when people do call their female dogs bitches, I still cringe when I hear it.
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
It's interesting how using the canine term bitch for women has become an insult, while referring to a man as a "stud" complimentary.
I don't like "stud" either
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Honest Contributor

awe c"mon frenchy... studmuffin!

Old January 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
-

When people use these terms it usually means they are using their dogs for either breeding or something to that effect. It doesn't sound (to me I mean) like their dog is a part of the family,you know what I mean ? On the other hand, I like to be call a b**** ! It means I have "caractere".
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:29 PM

I don't mind it if the tone is right. But honestly, my female doggies have all been bitches, so it kinda always fits both ways...
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:50 PM
-

...just cuz I'm feeling feisty ~ "bitch" is not just used to describe women, it's a fairly common term in the gay community.

I guess it's a word I compartentalize. Female dogs who are unspayed are bitches. Women who are crabby and touchy-about-the-least-slightest-thing (according to men anyway ~ when really, we are just speaking our minds) are bitchy. Yes, so ? If you had one kerzillion punds of hormones weighing down on you , you would be what...meditating??? I don't think so..

The only time I get steamed about the word, is when a man refers to his boyfriend as "his bitch".
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I rarely use the word when speaking about a dog (or anyone for that matter!) and when I do, it's usually in playful way and not at all meant in the sense of un-spayed female.

It doesn't bother me when other people use it, but then, I can't recall the last time I heard it in the "proper" sense.
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never heard anyone not in breeding,aside from those joking around,refer to a female dog as a bitch.And even with breeders I have only heard it used when referring to unspayed females.Much like Tom is for males cats that are not neutered and queen for unspayed female cats.Like gelding and stallion etc
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I have never heard anyone not in breeding,aside from those joking around,refer to a female dog as a bitch
well, you have now! LOL

signed,

mommy of the best 'lit bitch ever

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

That sounds like joking around to me.
Old January 27th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Honest Contributor

yeah... true, true!