Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Pete

Question about Crating/Kennel

When my new puppy arrives home; I will be crate training him. I will use the recommend size crate for Mini-Daschunds. My question is; which crates are better a wire crate or an all plastic crate? I do realize there are various cost which seem paired with quailty; I plan on getting a good quality crate. Is there an actual preference or recommend crate for Daschunds? I did read somewhere that if a wire crate is use that it should be covered on three sides. This being said would I would be better to get a plastic type crate???
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've had both and we've had good luck with both. However, we prefer the plastic ones because we have a couple of dogs with separation anxiety. They've been known to chew the bars on the wire crates and mar or chip their teeth. Also, the plastic ones, having solid walls halfway up, seem to feel more like a 'den' to our dogs than the more open, wire ones do.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

We like the plastic ones for the same reasons.

I just like how easy they are to hose out and they are cosy. Some of our dogs don't like hard winds or thunder and the plastic crates seem to give them greater comfort.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would go with the plastic. I've always used wire and although I haven't had a problem, the plastic has always seemed safer and more comfy to me. I just couldn't afford that luxury having larger breed dogs! I did always have to cover the crate when my one dog was a pup to create more of a "den" feel to calm him down....went through three old sheets that way and he got ahold of and shredded every one! Save yourself the trouble and buy plastic!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

LOL Chase_Mom! Chase, the Sheet Shredder! I never woulda thunk it of the little

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:18 PM

I would also reccomend plastic, if you really want to look ahead get one that is airline approved so you would be able to use it for official transport (saving you from having to use one later if needed) wire crates are noiser, I also feel that the solid plastic makes a safer den feel. Also if you want to place the crate on carpet if there is a accident in a wire kennel it will likely end up outside, or if you get a boy dog you could end up with a leg lift out the kennel (when I was a kid out beagle would do this). With plastic onlly the dog and the kennel will be messy instead of the dog, kennel and surrounding area. Plastic kennels also seem a bit more escape proof. If I get a dog I will go plastic, my reccomendation is plastic, and you can easily find them used on online classifieds too.
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm like ChaseMom. The cats have plastic carry cases and the pups had wire crates. Our only problems with wire were that pup could pull the edges of towelling we placed over top (to make it more den-like) inside and ate them. Likewise, we had to protect some wiring that was outside so he could not pull it in and chew it. Now that the wire crate is not being used any more it is nice to be able to fold it up flat and store it away.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM

I use a plastic crate as well. Much easier to clean and a little more privacy when they just need to get away from everyone.

Also, before we got our SUV we had a little dodge neon. Koda's entire kennel wouldn't fit in the backseat, it was too tall... but the bottom of it would!! We could just pack the top in the trunk and set up the bottom in the backseat with his blankets. It just worked out better for us that way.
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Pete

Thanks to all for the advice, I picked up a plastic crate today but have to return it; the plastic clips that hold the door inplace are broken. Will go and change it in the next day or two. Getting the supplies, and doing the puppy proofing; went and saw Mooshie today at the breaders, only two more weeks and he'll be ready to come home. I can hardly wait. Mooshie is a male, shorthair, blk & tan daschund. When I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll include one.

Thanks Pete