Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2003, 05:35 AM

My kittys

I am taking my kittys this morning to be spayed.
I feel bad that they are hungry and that they dont understand why I am not giving them breakfast. Even last night was tough when I had to take their bowls up and just leave them fresh water for the night. I feed both canned and dry. Canned in the morning and dry is left out during the day which they eat whenever. We fed them abit of canned around dinner time last night hoping they would eat and fill themselves before the cut off time. I have to have them there by 8am and its 6:30 now. I just pray that everything will be ok, I will worry until I pick them up.
Old June 16th, 2003, 07:52 AM

They should be fine....be proud that you are doing the right thing!!

You will be eliminating a lot of potential bad behaviours, as well as saving lives from generations of unwanted kittens.
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:46 PM

I called at noon and the vet assistant said they were just waking up and did just fine.
I can pick them up at 3:30 so it wont be all that long now.

Question??? Both were in heat more than once before I gave them a home. Will they go through any ofthe motions again, the meowing etc or will the spaying put an end to it all.

When we got Buffy she had been in heat twice already and then again twice while we had her. Its just we had to wait until we got her shots so we could get her spayed while she was due for her folowup shots. Then we got the 2nd cat Nutmeg so they timed it right that we could have both done at the same time . The 2nd was about a year old they figured so would have been in heat a few time as well.

I will ask the vet this if I remember when I pick them up. its jsut I might be just glad to see them and forget..
meg
Old June 16th, 2003, 12:58 PM

Meg, they will be fine!

Once the surgery is over , you can call the vet and they will tell you how your kittens did. With spaying, they give them pain meds afterwards so that your kittens are comfortable .
When we had our puppy spayed at 6 months of age, I requested information from our vet as to what would be done, and our vet had this brochure that they sent me that clearly explained the procedure step by step.
Afterwards your kittens will be monitored very well , which is always a comfort to me .

I can honestly say that not having food when they want it was the toughest part of the whole spaying experience. They simply assume you forgot and that you will surely rectify that faux-pas.
Explaining why there is no food and telling them there will be some when they come home does no good. You are lucky if they let you sleep through the night , mine never did, they figured if they get no food, I get no sleep !
The trip to the vets has always been fun to say the least. Cats take this as THE opportunity to let the world know you didn't feed them and that they are starved ! Payback time!
End result is that you are frazzled and exhausted and worried, while they are sleeping through the whole operation and have not a clue what is going on.

Before you know it they will be back home, and all will be behind you. Then the only thing that smarts is the bill you will have to pay.

BTW, THANK YOU for getting your kitties fixed so that there won't be any unwanted kittens , I wish everyone was as responsible as you!

((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))
It will soon be over with and your kittens will be fine!
Old June 16th, 2003, 10:43 PM

Talk about peeved off, Buffy is very angry with me. She made me feel so bad she wants nothing to do with me. I had a meeting tongiht so just as well I wasnt home. Nutmeg isnt doing as well as Buffy. Buffy was all about the house when she got home and ofcourse wanted to eat but wasnt allowed to yet had to wait 2 and half hours and only half the usual amount. Nutmeg was in the same spot I put her when we got home from the vet when I got home from the meeting. That meant she hadnt ate yet. It was her fluid intake that I worried about. I got my syringe out and gave her some that way then picked her up and carried her to her dish where I had put abit of canned food. She ate abit not much. poor thing looks so skinny. I hooe she picks up abit tomorrow will have to keep my eye on her. Im sure Buffy will come around in a day or two.