Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old March 28th, 2012, 11:14 PM

alt level extremely high in my cats blood test

Hello,
I am new to this forum and am looking for help.
my 12yr old cat Cecil has been noticeably sick for 4 days and when I took him to the vet for blood work, the first test the alt level did not register. So they tested again and test says his alt level is 2,438. The test says between 12-130 is normal and vet says its because of liver infection. Is it possible to have a level that high or is test wrong. Other levels on test are high but not extreme. Or so vet says.
Any information and help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:41 AM

As of today Cecil is eating very little dry food. He dosen't eat wet food at all he never has we tried. Drinking very little water. He is on 4 different meds for liver. But that alt result is really worrying me. I can understand it being higher then normal but 18x above normal seems crazy. I've been all over the internet and have seen cases with alt level around 300-500 above normal. None even close to Cecil's level. Im calling other local vets to ask about it but so far no one has returned my call.
Thank for any info or help.
Cecil thanks you also.
Old March 30th, 2012, 02:46 AM

I would ask the vet about an appetite stimulant (if he's not already on one) or tube feeding the cat at this point, eating and drinking very little is only making the issue with the liver worse and will make recovery longer.

At this point Cecil needs to eat anything you can get him to eat, and as often as possible. Cooked chicken breast, deli meat, baby food with no onions, catfood topped with cheese or a tiny pinch of catnip, try a fish flavoured can of Fancy Feast even if he wouldn't eat canned previously - it's smelly & may tempt him, the human variety of canned salmon or sardines etc.

Some info on various Liver issues in cats:
http://www.manhattancats.com/Article...lipidosis.html

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM

Thank you for the information.
As of today Cecil is eating more often, almost as he normally would. Also drinking more then he did in past three days. The vet I go to didn't want to do a tube because he is responding to the meds. (Just saw her a few minutes ago)
Also spoke with different vet who agreed with my vet. Though neither can say for sure why alt level was or is 2438. They both did say its most likely not lipidosis and just a bad infection. They want to see how meds go and blood test again in 2 weeks unless Cecil gets worse then im supposed to get him into vet asap.
The meds he is on are: amoxi 50mg, metronidazole 50mg, denamarin 90mg, and cerenia 16mg.
At this moment Cecil is runnig around at top speed and playing with our other cat Malcom as if nothing was ever wrong.
The fact that for his age he acts like a kitten is why I noticed he was sick as soon as I did.
He ate and played as usual Monday morning and when he didn't want food or to play later that day I knew that he needed a vet asap.
Any further thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated.
Cecil and I thank you again.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Glad to hear he's feeling better! Sending that he continues on the road to recovery! Pls keep us posted!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 30th, 2012, 09:18 PM

Yikes! That sounds really scary! I'm glad he's feeling better.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old April 8th, 2012, 11:57 PM

Hello again, just a little update on Cecil.
He has gotten much better, eating, drinking, playing as normal. He is off the metronidazole and the cerenia. He is still taking the other meds for now.
we are going for more bloodwork on friday and im hopeful eveything will checkout ok.
Old April 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck on Friday! Let us know how the tests go!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."