Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 13th, 2012, 06:52 PM

Devastated

I feel really ill right now. I just moved last week into my new condo. Its been a rough week for myself and the dogs. It was very hard on them but they seem to be getting use to their new home.
Theo, just had a seizure at 7pm. His last one was 3 months ago. Since December 20th, he has had 3. Vet says he will only medicate when they are more than one a month. Its really hard to watch them.
It lasted 6-7 minutes. He was acting funny so I went and grabbed the crushed ice that I use to cool him down. (I apply it on the middle of back, it has been proven to help dogs with seizures and helps them come out of them faster.) Anyways, the Doctor gave me Valium for him to use rectally if he has a bad seizure. I didn't use it, I was about to but it stopped. He gave to me because Theo's last seizure was a status seizure (lasting longer than 5 minutes) and they are dangerous. This one was bad, he pee'd all over me, poor little guy. For some reason when he starts his seizures he wants to be held. He jumps into my lap. So during this one, at 4 minutes when I thought it was calming down, his whole body tensed and he made a terrible sound like howling or something. He has never done this. Then it was over, just like that. He wasn't panting at all with this one like the last two.
I feel like I let him down, I didn't know if I should use the Valium. I was going to use it at 5 minutes but I was alone and holding him and it would have been very hard. I feel so alone right now. The move was hard and I was with my family at the house for 5 years so this episode with Theo just knocked me off my feet. I never cry when he has them, I calmly talk to him and support him but this time I could not help but cry. Can you believe he was trying to lick my face afterwards and comfort me the poor thing. I gave him a big spoon of Haagen-dazs ice cream to bring his blood sugar back up. He loved it. As soon as it was over, he was back to normal. I mean he didn't even take a minute to relax. I had called my niece to bring the ice cream and when she came in he was all over her as if it never had happened. I heard sometimes it takes dogs hours to recuperate but not this little guy. Sorry this is so long, just needed to get it out.

Last edited by Kasianni; July 13th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old July 13th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
I feel really ill right now. I just moved last week into my new condo. Its been a rough week for myself and the dogs. It was very hard on them but they seem to be getting use to their new home.
Theo, just had a seizure at 7pm. His last one was 3 months ago. Since December 20th, he has had 3. Vet says he will only medicate when they are more than one a month. Its really hard to watch them.
It lasted 6-7 minutes. He was acting funny so I went and grabbed the crushed ice that I use to cool him down. (I apply it on the middle of back, it has been proven to help dogs with seizures and helps them come out of them faster.) Anyways, the Doctor gave me Valium for him to use rectally if he has a bad seizure. I didn't use it, I was about to but it stopped. He gave to me because Theo's last seizure was a status seizure (lasting longer than 5 minutes) and they are dangerous. This one he was bad, he pee'd all over me, but I held him. For some reason when he starts his seizures he wants to be held. He jumps into my lap. So during this one, at 4 minutes when I thought it was calming down, his whole body tensed and he made a terrible sound like howling or something. He has never done this. Then it was over, just like that. He wasn't panting at all with this one like the last two.
I feel like I let him down, I didn't know if I should use the Valium. I was going to use it at 5 minutes but I was alone and holding him and it would have been very hard. I feel so alone right now. The move was hard and I was with my family at the house for 5 years so this episode with Theo just knocked me off my feet. I never cry when he has them, I calmly talk to him and support him but this time I could not help but cry. Can you believe he was trying to lick my face afterwards and comfort me the poor thing. I gave him a big spoon of Haagen-dazs ice cream to bring his blood sugar back up. He loved it. As soon as it was over, he was back to normal. I mean he didn't even take a minute to relax. I had called my niece to bring the ice cream and when she came in he was all over her as if it never had happened. I heard sometimes it takes dogs hours to recuperate but not this little guy. So this is so long, just needed to get it out.
That have to so hard to see your dog having a seizure and not being able to stop it. I am sorry to hear your dog had another seizure. Do you think the move was hard on him and it brought the seizure on?
Old July 13th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Kasianni, I am so sorry that Theo has had another seizure after not having one for so long. rguerts is away right now or she woould respond to this. I do know that she will give Nanook the Valium whenever he seizes I guess that it really helps him. I am sure that she will be checking in and perhaps see your thread and respond to it. patti
Old July 13th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Kasianni, do not feel bad about this, you did everything right. The vets will tell you the dogs are not in pain and while the noise he made is awful to hear, it is probably involuntary. My two red cattle dogs, Perkins and Susie, both had seizures. Susie had grand mal seizures and required valium. No vocalising. but more serious than her brother's, and we opted to put her on med's, after which she had no further seizures at all. Lifelong medication though. Perkins though always made a dreadful sound before he collapsed. Alarming, but like your dog, he came out of it fairly soon and was just fine. The main thing is that you quietly held your dog when he asked for help. A person who hasn't got good dog sense would get frantic, burst into tears and move the dog, try and shake it or something while you realise it must be kept quiet, indeed talking to him may not even do much, he may not hear you. I think you deserve a pat on the back. I have a friend here whose Shih Tzu has seizures and she leaves it totally alone, just watching from a distance. I doubt if her fits last 5 minutes though, I will ask about that. Hang in there, big hugs from me.