Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:26 AM
High five anyone?

Our dog won't stop urinating/defecating in the house :(

My partner and I have a dog who urinates and/or defecates in the house several times each week. Indy is a one year old cocker spaniel mix. She's submissive to everyone in the house (2 adults, 2 children, and 2 other dogs).

We leave the back door open all day and all night for the dogs. Although Indy usually uses the backyard, she also uses the house. There is no specific area in the house, she'll go in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, etc. We've tried to catch her in the act but she seems to only do this when we're either asleep, in the shower, or outside getting the mail.

We've been crating her at nighttime for the past few weeks. When we wake up, we pick her up, take her outside, and close the door. We leave her outside for 20 or 30 minutes and then let her back in the house. She often waits until she gets back in the house to go to the bathroom.

We do not know what to do. Can anyone please, please offer us some advice? Thank you!
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:31 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushkosMom View Post

We do not know what to do. Can anyone please, please offer us some advice? Thank you!
Has she ever been clean in the house ? Is this a new thing ? Also , have you taken her to the vet to rule out any health issue that may contribute to this ?

You say you take her outside in the morning and leave her there for 20-30 minutes. What I suggest is to go with her outside every time , and when you see her do her business , you praise her like crazy. Start the house training all over again. Of course , if this is behavioral and not an health issue.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you need to start at square one. NO freedom in the house what so ever. She either has to be where you can see her and keep an eye on her or she needs to be in her crate. Also - no more "putting her outside for 20 or 30 minutes". YOU need to go out with her and make sure she actually goes potty. If she doesn't but you need to go in - back in the crate and out again in 15 or 20 minutes.

If you are consistant - you should be able to stop the going in the house.
Old September 20th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Floppy Dog

I agree with Lavender Rott, back to square 1. Using the umbilical cord method (dog on leash, leash attached to your waist) is really great for this because you can see the circling and sniffing that a dog will do before they find their spot to go. Also, it may be helpful to use a command, we use "Go WeePoo". It's very helpful when you need your dog(s) to go when you want them to, like when you're going out or getting ready for a car trip.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old September 20th, 2010, 11:25 PM
High five anyone?

Square one it is. Thank you very, very, very much for the advice. We were losing hope but this gives us lots of hope!