Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 16th, 2004, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

So I told them I would not vote Liberal....

I had written a letter about a month and a half ago saying that I would no longer be voting Liberal... they sent me this...

My letter is at the very end.

Quote:
Dear Ms. C,

Thank you for your emails regarding the government's proposed amendments to the Dog Owners' Liability Act. Let me first say that I am sorry to hear that this issue is responsible for your sense of alienation towards your government. I sincerely believe that the proposed ammendment to the Dog Owners' Liability Act is a balanced approach designed to provide a deterrent to owners who train their dogs to be overly aggressive, and utilize certain breeds of dogs in this manner. If passed, the legislation would allow existing pit bull owners to keep their dogs, however, these owners would be required to comply with strict new requirements, such as leashing and muzzling, and have their dogs spayed or neutered. Municipalities would be able to use their existing animal control powers to add further restrictions, specific to the needs of each community.

Additionally, if passed the legislation would toughen penalties for the owners of any dog that poses a danger to the public, by doubling fines up to a maximum of $10,000, and allow for jail sentences of up to six months for individuals who own dangerous dogs that bite, attack, or pose a threat. The legislation would also allow fines up to a maximum of $60,000 for corporations who own such dogs.

The government's decision to ban pit bulls and place restrictions on existing pit bulls is a direct response to the overwhelming desire of the majority of Ontarians. In the past few months, Ontario has witnessed numerous serious attacks on innocent victims and family pets by pit bulls. As a result of these and previous attacks, the McGuinty government has received thousands of letters, emails, faxes and phone calls from residents across Ontario, sharing their stories and urging the government to act in the interest of public safety and to protect the rights of Ontarians in their communities.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your views on this important subject. I will show Dr. Kular your letter shortly, and if I can be of any further assistance do not hesitate to contact my office.

Yours truly,
Paul Ungerman

Paul Ungerman
Special Assistant - Legislative to Dr. Kuldip S. Kular
MPP; Bramalea-Gore-Malton-Springdale and
Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister Responsible for Democratic Renewal
Phone: 416-326-7026
Fax: 416-325-4175
Email: pungerman@liberal.ola.org
Quote:
Dear Sir/ Madame;

Due to the irrational and irresponsible actions of Mr. Michael Bryant and Mr. Dalton McGunity my future votes in either provincial or federal elections will not benefit the Liberal government.

I was astonished to learn instead of searching for the facts and researching the imposing pit bull ban, Mr. Bryant has instead acted on his own personal emotions. Many citizens and established organizations have come forward to say that banning a breed does not fix the real problem of irresponsible ownership. There is no such thing as a bad breed, but instead bad dogs, bad owners... Mr. Bryant has made no formal effort to discuss any breed information will knowledgeable and informed citizens and organizations, instead he will be pushing this ban through based on emotion.

I will never again be voting any level of government Liberal. This term's blatant lying and deceitfulness is absolutely appalling. You should be ashamed.

Since I have been banned from emailing the MPP's of Ontario for some reason, I have sent this to the 4 "most important" offices.

Sincerely,
Samantha C
Brampton, ON
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:50 AM
banned user

Question How Stoo-pid do they think we are?

If Bryant had said all PB's or dogs that Might be PB's, + all the shelter dogs, & rescue dogs, & oh yea, those 2 CKC reg'd breeds that we also banned .....
Have to Die -Right Now!!!! I don't even think with his iron fist approach he would have gotten that past his own party. (I do wonder if he tried to?)

Does he really think we should thank him for doing the favour of Not Killing several 1000 dogs? LOL! He must be kidding. He did himself a favour by not trying it!
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

That was a great letter that you wrote to the fibs and it reminded me of a late night phone message that i left MB at his constituancy office after his first horrific appearance on city when he had just introduced the bill. I was so angry that I needed to vent right away so I left a phone message telling him that he could expect myself as well as my other responsible dog owner friends to be in his riding at election time campaigning against him on the issue of his anti democratic behaviour. His office workers called me back the next morning, waking me me up by the way, and very politely asked me to Email the idiot. his riding is st. Pauls So is anybody with me? Lets never let him forget us. If any one knows anyone who lives there we could demand a meeting with him. Justs for fun I guess
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

I agree. All the pit bull -hating politicians can bite the big one.My vote will for sure be based on if they are pro ban or not.( Sorry Sammiec, the rest of my reply is under pitbulliest's post'barett's reply', by accident.)