Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM

How do you keep your kitten happy?

I got this little cutest MiMi (boy) a month ago, he is 3-4 months old. My hubby was at home on vacation when first few weeks, so he has a "buddy" to play with at day time. Now that we both are away at daytime for work, I really feel sorry that he has to be alone all day.

I bought him toys: balls, circle crazy ball, catnip pillow, etc to give him a bit fun, but still, when I got home open the door, he would lie down on his back in front of me, twisting his body, begging for cuddle, and when I leave home, I can hear his meowing even in the elevator. I feel heart broken when I hear his meowing.

So does any of you have similar situation like me, one cat only in an apartment building, (my MiMi can get access into a balcony), how do you keep your cat unbored?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Aside from the obvious (getting him another kitten as a playmate), leaving out toys for him are a good idea - switch them up every other day if you can before he gets bored of them.. (when you bring it back out, he'll think it's a new toy)
I would also play with him a lot when you get home.. Kittens have a lot of energy (as I'm sure you know) so the more time you can spend with him, the better.
I wouldn't worry too much - cats tend to be nocturnal, so he might actually be sleeping for a good chunk of the day while you are away- his crying when you leave might only last for a minute or so..

By the way, it's very bad form to talk about a kitten and not post any pictures of said kitten. I will let it go if you post at least .. 5..

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 23rd, 2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I second that.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM

When you do have the time to give your kitten attention, the simplest toys seem to work the best.... chasing string that you move around the floor, rolling crumpled balls of a magazine page, playing hands moving under the covers,... anything that gets the kitten playing chase and pounce, their favourite.

If the kitten must be alone during the day (do consider a kitten companion), leave the radio on, maybe even have a small mirror - some kittie get enthralled by their own image.

Good luck and thanks for caring for animals!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

How do you keep

Get your kitty a friend, he must be very bored/lonely when you're both gone. 2 cats will wear each other out playing and form a very close bond.
Old July 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Young male cats tend to be very social, my recommendation is for another playmate about the same age to keep him company. If that is not possible, then a lot of toys to play with when you are gone, and a lot of attention when you are at home.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Thank you all very much for the reply.

I am new to this site and I haven't got to the picture part yet. But I promise I will post pictures. He is very very adorable.

My apartment is not big enough for two cats, although I did think about getting another cat. My co-worker told me if I get another cat, he will put all his attention to the other cat, maybe I will lose all his attention, and I am a jerlous person

I will try switch toys --- thank you phoozles, I never thought about this idea, I just leave all toys out.

Thanks again!
Old July 24th, 2008, 11:53 AM

i am moving in a week or so to vancouver. I still didnt find good homes for them please let me know if you want kitten I can even come and bring it to you. Thank you. I dont want to put them in shelter or pet shop i rather put them to sleep but still i cant do that either. so I AM Stuck

Old July 24th, 2008, 02:25 PM

Toilet paper = entertained cats!

Actually, I came home during lunch today and it appears that my cats have discovered the wonderful world of toilet paper. And all this time, I thought they were sleeping while I was at work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiMi0418 View Post
My apartment is not big enough for two cats, although I did think about getting another cat. My co-worker told me if I get another cat, he will put all his attention to the other cat, maybe I will lose all his attention, and I am a jerlous person
My place is small too (1+den) and two cats fit in no problem! If you have space for one, then you have space for two.
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Kitty pimp

as far as bonding with the othewr cat he will a bit but since you still the one who feeds him dont worry he'll love you too lol
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine all play with each other, but they all come to me individually to get cuddles and their own time with me. Even though they have playmates, they will still want to come to you for affection.

JJJ, your two are so cute! You really need to make a post in the picture forum
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

How do you

So: 'you feel sorry that he has to be alone all day and you can hear his meowing even in the elevator' but you're 'a jealous person who worries about losing your cat's total attention'. What is best for him? If his loneliness makes you feel quilty as it would most of us then the solution is 1 more cat. Unless you reside in a tiny bachelor apt 2 cats require very little space especially if they have each other to play, groom and comfort each other. Would you like a solitary lifestyle 8-10 hrs. a day?