Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 29th, 2010, 06:19 PM

My dog attacked me for 48 stitches

We have a 15-month old Great Pyrenees stud and a Pyr cross bitch female. She has gone into heat and he won't leave her alone. I was trying to break them up (stupid on my part?) when the male turned on me. I required an ambulance ride to hospital and have stitching on my face, scalp, left arm and left boob. Many other bites not requiring stitches. Do we keep this dog we love so much and just keep him chained up outside when the female is in heat? Do we try to find a home for him on a farm where he can work as he was meant to? Do we have him put down? We don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ummm get them spayed and neutered

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I second that !!!!!!!!
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Why in Heaven's name would you put yourself in between two huge dogs when one is in heat and the other wants to get to her? Why then punish a dog for doing what comes naturally? You want to put him down because he did what he would have done if you had been another dog. You were a rival. That's what he saw. Male dogs going after a female dog don't care about anything but getting to her. They will kill to get to her. Literally.
My suggestion is to get them both fixed and then teach them both that they are worthwhile pets and not just needed to breed mutts. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I second that !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Why in Heaven's name would you put yourself in between two huge dogs when one is in heat and the other wants to get to her? Why then punish a dog for doing what comes naturally? You want to put him down because he did what he would have done if you had been another dog. You were a rival. That's what he saw. Male dogs going after a female dog don't care about anything but getting to her. They will kill to get to her. Literally.
My suggestion is to get them both fixed and then teach them both that they are worthwhile pets and not just needed to breed mutts. JMO
What they said

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old September 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanerElainer View Post
Do we keep this dog we love so much and just keep him chained up outside when the female is in heat?

Have him neutered and her spayed, then there is no need to worry this will happen again.

Do we try to find a home for him on a farm where he can work as he was meant to?

If the only reason you have them is to breed them, then yes. Find them a loving, caring home where they will not be in danger of being put down for doing what comes naturally. As a responsible owner, you have control over the situations, they do not. Please spay and neuter.

Do we have him put down?

Absolutely not

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM

No need to get rid of or re-home eitheir dog... have them fixed. Yup, its that simple.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama

Last edited by Blackbear; September 30th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old September 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM
chronically insane.

It's sad that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were a phone call at my clinic Have to break it to everyone, but there are people out there just that

Um, spay and neuter them, be a responsible pet owner and take better care of your pets? If you had two children that were fighting, would you just take one outback and chain him to a tree?

Maybe rehome your pets to someone who's actually going to care about them and give them a proper home?

Or just ignore our suggestions and continue putting yourself and others in a dangerous situation because you choose to be an irresponsible pet owner?

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
It's sad that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this were a phone call at my clinic Have to break it to everyone, but there are people out there just that

I know which is shocking in this day and age... sigh.

Um, spay and neuter them, be a responsible pet owner and take better care of your pets? If you had two children that were fighting, would you just take one outback and chain him to a tree?

Maybe rehome your pets to someone who's actually going to care about them and give them a proper home?

And neuter/spay them!!

Or just ignore our suggestions and continue putting yourself and others in a dangerous situation because you choose to be an irresponsible pet owner?
Well put, Kathryn.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 29th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Really your dogs were doing what comes naturally. You need to spay and neuter then you can avoid these types of situations. One thing we do not need is more giant breeds without the proper health testing that get dumped when they end up with $$$$ medical issues.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

i third that!!!! people just dont get it brenda and the pins
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
One thing we do not need is more giant breeds without the proper health testing that get dumped when they end up with $$$$ medical issues.

Amen!
Nookie Monster is living proof of that statement

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

It is funny in a sense. I mean really...dog's trying to mate, someone gets in the middle, injuries, hospital, stitches, chaining dogs, loving them at the same time, get rid of.... The shelters are full of these 'loved' un-altered dogs. Some make it to adoption, some don't. To see these 'loved' dogs lined up and picked out on who lives and who dies...well that is a fuzzy moment.

Please take the time to understand what happened, why it happened, and if you really do love them, then please do the right thing: Spay and neuter. It is the responsible thing to do.

Good luck.
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't get why breeding is even appealing. Vet bills!!!! Placing pups and hoping they get a good home? Dealing with heats, marking, aggression. Leave it up to professional breeders I say. Get them fixed.
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:28 PM

Pls remain on topic. If you have something to contribute, pls keep it civil.

Blackbear
Old September 30th, 2010, 02:31 PM

Rosco, I've moved your post to its own thread here. Good luck!
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was trying to break them up
What do you mean by this, exactly? Had he mounted and they were tied? If you tried to break apart a pair of tied dogs you could have seriously injured one or both of them.

Tags
dog attack