Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:02 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Curious. How do my fellow cat people feel about cat discrimination?

CearaQC posted a lovely article in the news section about a church experimenting with allowing dogs into their services once a month.

I thought that was a great idea, but it made me feel a bit of jealousy.

Now, I am fully aware that it's easier, much easier, to take a dog with you on daily errands and outings. They are used to being on a leash and follow commands better than cats. But, I often feel like cats are second class citizens in the pet department.

MSNBC has a video section, and I sometimes watch videos of the Today show having their pet segment. I have yet to really see a segment which includes a cat. They always have like pet adoption segments, and many involve taking dogs in shelters, giving them a make-over and bringing them on TV in the hopes of someone seeing them will adopt them.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is wonderful and kudos to them for bringing awareness to this, but, where are the cats? They need homes too!

Yesterday I saw a video about hotels that allow you to bring your pets. All I saw were dogs. What if I have a cat? What service do they have for my cat?

Sheesh!
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
lUvMyLaB<3's Avatar
lUvMyLaB<3 lUvMyLaB<3 is offline
I'm a softy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brandon, mb, Canada
Posts: 1,059
I do agree.... and I know as someone that tries so hard to help the kitties... It is hard, cats sit for so long in rescue, and foster care... years sometimes, so hard with the damn free kittens EVERYWHERE... I hate it, there has to be laws on cat breeding, HAS to be otherwise there is no end it site, there will forever be too many.. People think of cats as independant, able to survive alone, and disposable... so much needs to change, If anything the cats need more attention and promotion, dogs need it too, but more attention needs to begin to be given to cats.
__________________
I prefer my people to wear fur..
Gonzaga's Lady Perdita "Lady" CKC Yellow Lab
Adoptee Gucci super fuzzbutt
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,769
OMG, I was thinking the exact same thing as I was cleaning the house last night!!! I was thinking if they can bring their dogs, I want to bring my cats.

People seem to put dogs in a much higher regard than cats. Almost seem "specist" if you ask me.
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:26 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
I agree, there should be more awareness. You hear so much about puppy mills, which are terrible, but you know there have to be kitten mills out there doing the same.

I just wish there was more attention paid to cat issues.

I hope you guys who have dogs here don't feel offended. I love dogs! I've been thinking for a long time of getting a small dog, but keep going back and forth with it because of how the cats might react, the room in the apartment and the expense.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:39 PM
onster's Avatar
onster onster is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,842
I get what youre saying and ive occasionaly thought of it but at the end of the day, even if i could, i wouldnt bring my cats out with me. Theyre more likely to freak out/get lost/become stressed.

When I have seen cats on adoption shows, unless therye kittens, the poor things look petrified.

That being said im sure there are cats out there that are the exception and do get to go out with their owners and such. I saw a talk show recently where one of the guests had their cat with them and I was amazed at how calm the cat was!

As for hotels, most that I know of allow cats if they allow dogs.

The other thing is for places like church dogs i think would be more likely to sit quietly next to their owners "sit stay" kinda thing. I cant imagine even if i had a cat that would be ok in a different setting that it would just sit next to me. Ya right. It would be like climbing the curtains or something!!! hahaha

so i guess im saying is i kind of think the way things are makes sense
__________________
Famous last words:

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
In Cleo's day if someone harmed a cat they could be beaten. If it was proven they killed a cat they themselves could pay with their lives.Since Rome defeated Cleopatra's Eygpt eons ago the cat has been taken from being on pedestals to being throwaways. That was the start of the downfall of the cat.
That is pretty much the first paragraph of a letter I have been working on to go to a paper.
Dogs have the reputation as being loyal, loving creatures who cleave to their master, loving him without restraint. Cats are by nature more independant and capable, not very well but capable, of looking after themselves. Until people's perception of what a cat "is" changes then the bleak short life of a ton of cats will remain the same.
We need the laws to be changed to reflect the laws there now are for dogs: People need to be responsible for their cats. If a cat is roaming the owner gets fined. Cats need to be microchipped, s/n, on a leash when outside. Of course the stray problem is going to take forever to fix. But I truly believe in my heart that slowly, so very slowly, we are getting through to some people. I have to believe that.
It is wonderful to come home at night to a wagging tail that meets you at the door and gives you lots of sloppy kisses - the dog. In my opinion there is nothing, nada, that beats having a warm kitty body curled up on you purring away in pure contentment. All is right in the little one's world and she is letting you know it.
And now you know why I have soooooo many........
__________________
Assumptions do nothing but make an ass out of u and me.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:48 PM
CearaQC's Avatar
CearaQC CearaQC is offline
Garden nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,511
Well I have two cats and two dogs.

I wouldn't take my cats anywhere because I know how it will be for them. They will be so stressed out and not have a good time at all. They don't like being away from home and especially dislike being in a vehicle. I wouldn't haul my cats around for my own enjoyment. I would think of their well being first.

I can just imagine lots of cat people in a church with kitty carriers and all the kitties meowing and howling. Other kitties may come out of the carriers and the second a stranger tries to pet kitty, it will freak out and scratch the heck out of its owner and run and hide. Or worse, run out the door. How fun would that be? (The Anglican churches here, on very nice days, keep the doors wide open.)

While I will admit there are very social kitties that love being around new people and visiting new places, most cats aren't really known for being happy-go-lucky like most dogs.

And as anyone with cats know, it's really really hard to get them to sit/down/stay. Cats look at you like, "how dare you order me."
__________________
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
TwinTails's Avatar
TwinTails TwinTails is offline
Animals Are My Life <3
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Kamloops, BC
Posts: 1,344
I've tried to get my cats used to the harness (no problem) and leash (okie dokie), but open that front door and I'm wrestling a lion My kids just don't want anything to do with life outside of that door However, if I ever had a cat that would be interested in the outdoors and being walked, then I would certainly want them to be welcome wherever dogs were

I find it funny that people think cats are so independant and don't need us as much as a dog does...I look at all of my kids and wonder what they would do if I weren't around. They'd starve, go cold, and be crying all the time (they all cry outside our bedroom door at night, they hate being alone!).
__________________
Sass (17), Majik (14), Bo (11), Lua (8), Baby (7), Oliver (5), Misha (5)
Byron (2) Mouse (1)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:45 PM
sugarcatmom's Avatar
sugarcatmom sugarcatmom is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 5,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I just wish there was more attention paid to cat issues.
You might be interested in learning about the Catalyst Council, which is a non-profit organization advocating for cats and trying to improve awareness about cat care, in everything from the veterinary community to shelters, governments, and the media. One of the sad things in all of this is that people generally tend to spend much less money on their cats than they do on dogs, despite the fact that cats outnumber dogs as pets by about 10 million in the US. One of the Catalyst Council's biggest issues and something they're trying to change is that cats go to the vet 60% less than dogs.

So ya, cats definitely get the short end of the stick on many levels.
__________________
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain." ~ Chinese Proverb

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Onster, CearaQC, I'm with you on not stressing a cat out by taking them somewhere. I know mine would not do well in a situation where there are a lot of strangers. But, it's the fact we really don't have the option for our cats.

I guess it's like having someone not invite you to a party, even if you weren't planning on going, it's nice to have the invite and be though of.

Does that make sense?

14+, sounds like that's going to be a very good article!

SCM, I'm going to have a look at that link, thanks!
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
I think the main reason that people focus on dogs is simply because dogs have the ability to love and trust pretty much anyone in any environment unconditionally. No questions asked. They adapt to new situations MUCH more quickly than a cat would, and it is that simple. I can't imagine bringing my oldest cat out of the house - she would have a nervous breakdown, and I would probably lose a lot of blood in the process.

Cats are so much more sensitive to new situations, even if a particular cat isn't 'fearful'. Specifically referring to the pet hotel, cats are generally 'okay' if left at home for short periods of time alone while the owners are on vacation as long as someone is able to regularly check on them, change the litterbox, and feed them.

Dogs? Not so much. They're far less independent and rely on their humans for pretty much all of their entertainment, washroom needs, etc. The market for dogs is higher in this area simply because dogs are much needier than cats are. I don't really view it as people in this business believing that cats are a less important, but the fact is - when dog owners go away, they NEED someone to take over the 24/7 care of their dog.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:08 PM
lUvMyLaB<3's Avatar
lUvMyLaB<3 lUvMyLaB<3 is offline
I'm a softy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brandon, mb, Canada
Posts: 1,059
but the point is... like AG said, to have the invitation instead of being the kid left out. I have always had cats, everyday of my life I have had a cat... I cannot imagine life without them, I truly think every little girl should have a cat, to sleep with, to cuddle, to cry into their fur..

I agree that people treat dogs and cats different, and I hate it, people talk a lot about dogs needing rescued and when they are put down ect.. but the average person doesn't bat an eye when they hear the number of cats killed every year... They will cry about the dog, but think a stray or unwanted cat is just vermin. Of someone set up traps and trapped dogs and left them in a sweltering trap with no water or food, many would be concerned, but yet no one cares when it happens daily to cats...

All animals are important and I will never know true happiness until animals are treated like they should be. Not used, abused and dominated, just because we can, because they are animals, not important, I cry thinking about it. I will sacrifice anything to save as many cats as I can, it isn't enough.. There NEEDS to be laws for cats, this whocaresabouthowmanyarebredandsold then clean up the mess AFTER is NOT working, when any city looks at the stats of the cats they kill how can they think it is a good plan, something is obviously very wrong. Owning a cat that is not fixed should be a crime, very few permits could be issued beginning a couple years later after a long, tedious process, cat for sale tga ads would be against the law..

anyway that turned into a long ramble with a lot of gobbly gook,... sorry!! I am so passionate about this it even scares me sometimes, I know many of you understand!
__________________
I prefer my people to wear fur..
Gonzaga's Lady Perdita "Lady" CKC Yellow Lab
Adoptee Gucci super fuzzbutt
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
I understand what you're saying LML. And I agree with you as far as the 'invitation would be nice'. Unfortuantley society today focuses on dogs BECAUSE it is more natural for a dog owner to bring their dog outside of the home, compared to the number of cat owners that do this. Aside from vet or grooming visits, most cats don't venture out of the home. This is due to the natural instinct of the cat, and not that owners wouldn't WANT to bring them out if they knew their cat could handle it.

I understand the main point that AG is saying and I agree. I guess my point is that I can see why it happens; and I don't believe it's because the majority of people view cats as the 'lesser' of our beloved pets - but the fact that dogs are more adaptable. Business owners focus on this, because it's a reality.

Quote:
I agree that people treat dogs and cats different, and I hate it, people talk a lot about dogs needing rescued and when they are put down ect.. but the average person doesn't bat an eye when they hear the number of cats killed every year... They will cry about the dog, but think a stray or unwanted cat is just vermin. Of someone set up traps and trapped dogs and left them in a sweltering trap with no water or food, many would be concerned, but yet no one cares when it happens daily to cats...
Hmmm. Not sure I agree with the thought that dogs and cats are treated differently. They are completley different species, requiring different needs. They adapt very differently in situations. I don't think it's fair to say that dogs are more important to society than cats by any means! Maybe it's just my own experience, I run into people all the time that don't like dogs - that cringe and move to the side when I approach with my dogs - that tell me they love cats, prefer cats, and don't know how I own and work with dogs. I also run into people that don't like cats. It's a two way street, due to personal preference - but I would never go so far as to say that "people" in general treat one species different than another.

Dogs can be abused, as are cats. Both are overbred.

Stray dogs AND cats are the responsibility of their owners. If they are better off being caught and brought to a rescue or a shelter, rather than run the risk of posioning - being hit by a car - mauled by a dog - or becoming pregnant due to irresponsible people not s/n their animal - then I would WANT that animal to be taken in.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:27 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,591
I honestly do not believe cats are more independant than dogs,it all depends on the owners.
Do they look at a loving cat as a piece of the furniture or a familymember?
I just look at Tux my stray and every night when I see him eat,I am close to tears,he is someones garbage,I so wish I could show him some loving.
Many dogs are dumped and abandoned too,many of them too old or sick for anyone to adopt them,if they make it to a shelter:sad:

I believe,as my cats have shown me,given enough time and love can learn many things a dog can.
They are definitely not independant,they cling to us like glue...I also would never leave them alone,with someone coming in just to feed them if we go away.
They need companionship and love,just as much as any pup..

There should definitely be some kind of law to protect cats,s/n mandatory,regular vet-care,no mutilation(declaw),but that will never happen:sad:
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I honestly do not believe cats are more independant than dogs,it all depends on the owners.
Do they look at a loving cat as a piece of the furniture or a familymember?
I just look at Tux my stray and every night when I see him eat,I am close to tears,he is someones garbage,I so wish I could show him some loving.
Many dogs are dumped and abandoned too,many of them too old or sick for anyone to adopt them,if they make it to a shelter:sad:

I believe,as my cats have shown me,given enough time and love can learn many things a dog can.
They are definitely not independant,they cling to us like glue...I also would never leave them alone,with someone coming in just to feed them if we go away.
They need companionship and love,just as much as any pup..

There should definitely be some kind of law to protect cats,s/n mandatory,regular vet-care,no mutilation(declaw),but that will never happen:sad:
Chico, sorry to hear about your Tux. That is sad, and must be hard to watch. I'm glad he's found you!

I also agree that the owners can build an animal up, or damage it greatly - be it dog OR cat.

I also wouldn't leave my cats alone if I go away - we always have a trusted house-sitter stay here to watch the cats and the dogs. My point though is that a cat would be able to look after itself to an extent that a dog never would. Not to mention that people let their cats outside on their own (and would not do the same with their dogs) for a reason - whether or not we agree with this. Does this make sense?

It's the nature of the cat to be more solitary. Dogs are a more social creature. I'm not arguing the fact that cats can't learn tricks or don't bond with their humans - absolutley they do.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; October 2nd, 2009 at 05:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
lUvMyLaB<3's Avatar
lUvMyLaB<3 lUvMyLaB<3 is offline
I'm a softy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brandon, mb, Canada
Posts: 1,059
nope I disagree with you. Yes sure there are people that don't like dogs, I just feel that dogs are given a bit higher status in life... Perhaps the life i have led has allowed me to see it from a different perspective, but i know many that don't bat an eye when a litty er of kittens is drowned, or given to someone for snake food, but people would react if that were a litter of puppies.. These things happen to cats all the time... I have seen it, and worse many many times....

my vet has had many cats left when there are medical bills, and been asked to put cats to sleep because they are not wanted, ect.. rarely for a dog..

Also the fact that any dog no matter what the breed mix has value and people will pay, usually a lot for it, people are SHOCKED if they see a regular run of the mill cat for sale for money in a classified ad...the fact that cats do NOT have value is the reason rescue is so tough.. anyone can get a cute baby cat for free in about 5 minutes any colour you want, not so with a pup.
__________________
I prefer my people to wear fur..
Gonzaga's Lady Perdita "Lady" CKC Yellow Lab
Adoptee Gucci super fuzzbutt
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Also the fact that any dog no matter what the breed mix has value and people will pay, usually a lot for it, people are SHOCKED if they see a regular run of the mill cat for sale for money in a classified ad...the fact that cats do NOT have value is the reason rescue is so tough.. anyone can get a cute baby cat for free in about 5 minutes any colour you want, not so with a pup.
Yes, I agree with you on this point. Most puppies will at LEAST sell for $250 from puppy mills and BYB's, while kittens go for free or at most $50.

Quote:
my vet has had many cats left when there are medical bills, and been asked to put cats to sleep because they are not wanted, ect.. rarely for a dog..
Hmm. You should never come to my city if this is the case - you would be appalled at the number of dogs that are also put to sleep in our shelters.

I recently adopted a kitten that was abandoned because of medical bills, but our rescue ALSO just aquired two adult dogs last month because of the same reason. I don't think cats are at a greater disadvantage when it comes to being abandoned compared to dogs, at least not from what I have seen.

It sucks whether it has happened to a dog or a cat - the numbers are too high for both. Whether they have pointy ears or a long snout, makes no difference to me. It's all wrong, it happens too often, and the fate for these animals is generally the same when they're not adopted or are not sent to reputable rescues. :sad:
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; October 2nd, 2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
It's the nature of the cat to be more solitary. Dogs are a more social creature. I'm not arguing the fact that cats can't learn tricks or don't bond with their humans - absolutley they do.
Bailey, I have to disagree with you here my friend. Cats are actually quite social. Oksana may not like to socialize much with the others, but she loves just being anywhere I'm at. She'll follow me from room to room whenever I'm home. Even Czari, who was an outside cat for 3 years used to hang around in her little group now and then.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
aslan aslan is offline
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: toronto, on
Posts: 15,600
i have to disagree with you Bailey..the number of cats in shelters way outnumbers the amount of dogs. People think twice about just pitching their dog out the door to roam free, but the poor kitty, plop out it goes. I do believe that we as humans do treat one animal differantly over another. for whatever reason.

I as a former kitty owner would never have thought to take my cats out with me, but i can totally understand the logic behind the invite would be nice. I find that people today don't see discrimination unless they have lived it first hand a majority of the time.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:26 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Bailey, I have to disagree with you here my friend. Cats are actually quite social. Oksana may not like to socialize much with the others, but she loves just being anywhere I'm at. She'll follow me from room to room whenever I'm home. Even Czari, who was an outside cat for 3 years used to hang around in her little group now and then.
Yep AG, I agree they are social. Sorry, I feel like I'm not making myself clear when I'm talking about cats vs dogs, I don't want to make a case AGAINST cats by any means.
Cats certainly have personalities, just like any other animal. Owning three, I can say from experience that they certainly are quite bonded to my family, love to be in the same room as us, etc. But I can't agree on the fact that they are the same as dogs in the dependence area. Cats do much better on their own than a dog ever would, and this is why I bring this up in regards to *why* dog owners are more dependent on 'hotel businesses' and 'dog walkers', etc and why these careers tend to focus on those with dogs.
Just my .

Quote:
i have to disagree with you Bailey..the number of cats in shelters way outnumbers the amount of dogs. People think twice about just pitching their dog out the door to roam free, but the poor kitty, plop out it goes. I do believe that we as humans do treat one animal differantly over another. for whatever reason.
No worries Aslan, I can see why you say this. It is sad that there are such high numbers for our beloved pets in shelters, and while I personally see in my city a high number of BOTH - I can see why many cats end up in them. Again, I believe this all initiates with irresponsible pet owners, :sad: but I digress.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
Chris21711 Chris21711 is offline
-
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Queensville, Ontario
Posts: 8,992
Bailey, in your city they must be doing something really effective to control the cat population. I live not far north of Toronto.... Our local SPCA takes in 10 times more cats than dogs. At the present time they have 400 cats. They never go a day without taking in cats...It is heartbreaking :sad:

to hi-jack AG
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
CearaQC's Avatar
CearaQC CearaQC is offline
Garden nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Great White North
Posts: 1,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post

I guess it's like having someone not invite you to a party, even if you weren't planning on going, it's nice to have the invite and be though of.

Does that make sense?
Sure does! I never thought of it that way before.

But there was a time when I did not have dogs and only had cats. Grew up with cats and never dogs. And honestly, I was envious because I didn't have a canine to go places with me, or go for walks, etc.

I love my kitties and their purring. But I just can't imagine life without my dogs now. They each have their purpose. Dogs for really active stuff and cats for snuggling. But then again dogs can snuggle too.

My computer chair is really a recliner. And most evenings I can't even type - only browse - because I have both a cat AND a dog sitting in the chair with me.
__________________
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; October 2nd, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:47 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Bailey, in your city they must be doing something really effective to control the cat population. I live not far north of Toronto.... Our local SPCA takes in 10 times more cats than dogs. At the present time they have 400 cats. They never go a day without taking in cats...It is heartbreaking :sad:

to hi-jack AG
It IS sad. Don't get me wrong, I'm not naive in any way to the number of animals rescued and rehomed in Alberta or Canada, and I don't disagree that the percentage of cats in shelters and rescues are higher than that of dogs.
I'm just saying that there are ALSO too many dogs abandoned/rescued, just as there are too many cats. In Calgary we actually have a rescue that is only for cats - the MEOW Foundation. It's a wonderful organization and they're able to rehome many of them.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; October 2nd, 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
But there was a time when I did not have dogs and only had cats. Grew up with cats and never dogs. And honestly, I was envious because I didn't have a canine to go places with me, or go for walks, etc.

I love my kitties and their purring. But I just can't imagine life without my dogs now. They each have their purpose. Dogs for really active stuff and cats for snuggling. But then again dogs can snuggle too.
I feel the same way. I adore my gang, I mean, I just can't imagine my life without them and I love them more than words can express. But, I'd love to have a dog that I could do active stuff with too. Go on walks for instance, and even taking them on an errand or two.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I feel the same way. I adore my gang, I mean, I just can't imagine my life without them and I love them more than words can express. But, I'd love to have a dog that I could do active stuff with too. Go on walks for instance, and even taking them on an errand or two.
Have you ever seen one of those kitty strollers? SOOOO CUTE.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
I have, and I've been waiting to buy one. Waiting for A. to have the money, since they are a little pricey, and B. for the weather to cool a bit. I've seen them on ebay at some good prices. I'm thinking at the very least one or two of them would like taking a stroll. With 5 cats, chances are I'll get at least one who likes to travel right?
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 08:34 PM
lUvMyLaB<3's Avatar
lUvMyLaB<3 lUvMyLaB<3 is offline
I'm a softy
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brandon, mb, Canada
Posts: 1,059
i sooo need one! My daughter would be taking tickles EVERYWHERE and tickles would be game! She is one of those humans stuck in a cat body, i am sure many of you know what i mean, those few that have something extra? We took her to the 'cat show' at the fair and all the other cats were scared stiff and she was happy, chowing down on the free can of crap canned food having a great time! It was when we were fostering her and her sister. They both got a ribbon for best house pet!
__________________
I prefer my people to wear fur..
Gonzaga's Lady Perdita "Lady" CKC Yellow Lab
Adoptee Gucci super fuzzbutt
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
Aside from vet or grooming visits, most cats don't venture out of the home.

I have to disagree with this statement. If you are looking at the fortunate few who have found good homes where they are kept indoors 100% of the time then it's true. But how many of those cats that have been adopted get put outside at least part time? How many times do we hear about cats being killed by cars, being killed by dogs, being killed by people who just plain don't like cats?
Unfortunately most cats don't have the luxury of living inside a home. A large majority of them live in barns, in fields, bushes, streets, shelters (for a short time), in abandoned cars, anywhere they can find to hide where they may be safe for a few minutes. How many cats actually get to live out their natural life time? Most cats are "lucky" if they live to be 6 or 7 years old. Or are they lucky? Having to scrounge for food, having to feed at least two litters a year if they are female, having to find what scant shelter they can. I don't know. Maybe a shelter and a short life is preferable to those cats. At least their suffering ends.

Some chilling stats I have posted before for this area......
Of the dogs turned in 75% were claimed by their owners. An additional 22% were adopted.
Out of 7900 cats turned in last year 120 were returned to their families. 1700 more were adopted. Do I need tell you what happened to the rest?

On Friday, October 9th at 8pm there will be a documentary on Global call CAT CITY National Prime Time Broadcast Premiere! It is about the stray cat problem in Toronto. It's estimated that at any given time there are 100,000 stray cats roaming the streets. One of the rescues mentioned on the show is the one I work with to get my kitties s/n.

There is a trailer to this broadcast here...... But let me warn you before you watch it, it shows a cat being euthanized. Not the face, just the body. I couldn't get past that without tears flowing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9x1sOzaYU0#

So is there equality between dogs and cats? Not bloody likely. Are we ever going to see equality? Not until people stand up and start taking responsibility for the mess they have created.

On more thing.. if it is the nature of the cat to be solitary why do they form colonies?
__________________
Assumptions do nothing but make an ass out of u and me.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 2nd, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Bailey_'s Avatar
Bailey_ Bailey_ is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,722
14+, I don't disagree with anything you've said.

In fact, I think you misunderstood my statement entirely and I can see why - I wasn't clear with my wording. I was referring to the fact that cat owners generally don't take their cats outside in the same manner that dog owners do - for walks, or to the local petstore, or for drives around the neighborhood just because, or to picnics at a nearby park. I for one, rarely see 'cats' around town with their owners - but always will see dogs. To keep in line with this thread, that was my point about WHY some business owners direct their attention to dogs. I don't at all believe that it's because people feel cats are unworthy of the lavishing, not at all. It's just the simple fact that responsible cat owners, generally tend to keep their cats at home on their property. I was not referring to the cats that are allowed to roam and venture 'outside' in this dangerous manner. And I'm not saying it isn't right NOT to include cat owners in advertisements - obviously they're doing themselves a disservice. Hopefully that clears up my train of thought.

Quote:
So is there equality between dogs and cats? Not bloody likely. Are we ever going to see equality? Not until people stand up and start taking responsibility for the mess they have created.
I agree. But just to clarify, I also never said that there was equality, but rather there are simply also a lot of dogs that are in the exact same positions as our cats in shelters all over the world. Thanks for posting that link, but respectfully I can't watch it. I've been wittness to euthanasia far too many times for my liking, and certainly understand the seriousness of what happens to animals in shelters.

Quote:
On more thing.. if it is the nature of the cat to be solitary why do they form colonies?
If you're referring to feral cats - yes, I have heard about colonies, but from what I have been told - they generally form very LOOSE colonies (correct me if I am wrong), and usually only if there is enough food available in the area. Otherwise - adios amigos.
Adult cats will also hunt by themselves - and usually don't share their food with other adult cats. Very different from the dog that will stay with the pack and thrive on this interaction & support.

All in all, I agree with what you're saying 14+, and as I've said before - I'm absolutley NOT making a case against cats.... I know the statistics, and they are heartbreaking.

My initial comments are coming out of a place of understanding why society focuses more on the dog when it comes to business planning, compared to cats. That is all.
__________________
~B~
"If you are a dog and your owner suggests that you wear a sweater. . . suggest that he wear a tail."

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)

Last edited by Bailey_; October 2nd, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old October 3rd, 2009, 06:57 AM
14+kitties's Avatar
14+kitties 14+kitties is offline
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MYOB
Posts: 15,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
To keep in line with this thread, that was my point about WHY some business owners direct their attention to dogs.

I guess I threadjacked waaayy off topic. Tend to do that when it comes to cats.

Thanks for posting that link, but respectfully I can't watch it. I've been wittness to euthanasia far too many times for my liking, and certainly understand the seriousness of what happens to animals in shelters.

I wasn't posting the link so you could see the cat being pts. :sad: I was posting it in case anyone is interested in watching the show. It will prove to be a very interesting documentary.


If you're referring to feral cats - yes, I have heard about colonies, but from what I have been told - they generally form very LOOSE colonies (correct me if I am wrong), and usually only if there is enough food available in the area. Otherwise - adios amigos.
Adult cats will also hunt by themselves - and usually don't share their food with other adult cats. Very different from the dog that will stay with the pack and thrive on this interaction & support.

All in all, I agree with what you're saying 14+, and as I've said before - I'm absolutley NOT making a case against cats.... I know the statistics, and they are heartbreaking.

My initial comments are coming out of a place of understanding why society focuses more on the dog when it comes to business planning, compared to cats. That is all.


Again, I suppose it depends on where you are from. The colonies around this area do not separate. They stay very close together. As for not sharing food - I have watched on numerous occassions Ajax bring back a mouse/bird/small rabbit to share with Ace. Or he will hunt just for Ace. My feral Storm brings me food all the time. She will meow to let me know she has brought me a gift, leave it at my feet and walk away. It is only after I have "admired" and thanked her for the gift and I walk away that she will come back for it.
There are many feral colonies in the TO area. A lot of stories have been written about people dropping off their unwanted cats in the same area of these colonies thinking the cats will take them in. That normally does not happen. It is then that the dumped cat will leave to try to find a new place. Maybe that is what you are hearing about.
I have seen it with my own group. Some cats get accepted, others don't. That is why I have the separate enclosures to keep everyone safe and happy.

AG - I apologize for the threadjack. I suppose when it comes to cats I don't look at it from the business end of things. I look at it from the heart. :sad: But in reading your original statement I don't think I am that far off track for parts of it. I guess we all see what we want to see in a thread.
__________________
Assumptions do nothing but make an ass out of u and me.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 3rd, 2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling and adding a comment.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.