Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 19th, 2012, 11:08 PM

Question Cat with IBD

I am considering adopting a wonderful cat who has just recently been diagnosed with IBD. I am looking for feeding and treatment alternatives for this adorable girl.

Here is a little history: age estimate is about 8 years old. sterilised, dewormed, etc. stools sent to lab to rule out any possible difficult parasites or bacteria. blood work pulled to rule out other health issues. her stool are absolutly discusting (very runny), and intermitantly stinky. she vomits on average once a day. already treated with metronidazole, has started prednisone treatment, gets daily probiotics with her food. treated with what has been a fool-proof treatment in the past with homeopathic remedies for chronic diarhea. she is currently eating Medi-Cal Hypoallergenic (duck recipe) kibble, eats with a good appetite. at this time she is in a shelter and food brand alternative is not an option.

if I do bring this girl home, what would be the suggested feeding and supplement to give her. I hate the cortisone treatment as well as the brand of food. I am open to any natural or homeopathic compound additive to a new feeding program. who has any experience with this?
Old August 20th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for considering this special needs girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianna079 View Post
she is currently eating Medi-Cal Hypoallergenic (duck recipe) kibble,
I'm short on time, but I think the kibble is part of the problem. When you get her home, I highly recommend switching to a raw diet: http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.html

Also pick up some slippery elm bark powder from a health food store, and ask your vet about vitamin B12 injections (but don't bother getting the blood test to check her serum B12 levels, it's a waste of money): http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/researc...in-information

More info here: http://holisticat.com/ibd.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:27 PM

Hello:
I hope we're not too late in offering our assistance with possible treatment for the IBD cat that you're thinking of adopting. We've had considerable experience over the past 10 years with one of our cats with the same problem, from kitten hood.
Our vet at the time decided to use alternative methods for treatment rather than conventional and we've had very good success.
If this is of interest to you, please contact us through PM and we'll get back to you and discuss it further.