Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Unhappy My 14 year old dog

We have a 14 year old black lab who, in the last 6 months has lost 40 pounds and is losing all of his hair. He is nearly blind and has servere arthritis. All he seems to want to do is sleep anymore. Do you have any advice for him?
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Have you brought this dog to the vet to rule out physical illness? If you have, and the vet gives him a clean bill of health, I would suggest that it's just old age. 14 is very old for large breed dogs.
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I would take him in for a complete check up and if there is nothing wrong other than old age enjoy the time you have left with him. This is quite old for a large dog,he has obviously been loved and well cared for.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

sorry...

So sorry to hear your lab is not up to snuff. 14 is a very long time for a lab to live and it really may just be that his body is slowly shutting down. Maybe check his gum color, if it's a bit greyish or yellowish then it may mean that his kidneys an liver are starting to work less efficiently. A vet visit would be a good idea as your vet may be able to give him something to make him feel more like his old self. It will also help you to know what is happening to him and what you can expect over the next months. Good luck with him.
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Thank you all so much. We have taken him to the vet and the vet says that he is just old. I will go and check his gums. Thanks again.
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM

At 14 your lab is now a little old man. I'm guessing you are thinking than maybe his time has come. Of course take him to the vet as maybe there is something that can be done to help him keep some weight on. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sorry; but if you're wondering if it's ok to let him go, it is. He's obviously very loved and you want to do what is best for him. Good thoughts to you and your dog.
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

There are measures you can take to insure his final years are of the best quality. Dietary supplements such as Val syrup is an animal Geritol, packed full of high energy nutriments. Also, ask your vet about pain relief, either natural or Rx. Give him what he wants too! Liverwurst, bacon, ham...rule books can go into the trash at times like this. If he is uncomfortable please give him something for the pain....he will enjoy his life for the moment and will thank you...and you will be better prepared also.
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

What Karin said.
Last year I helped a dear old dog pass on...she was a lab/GSD cross, I think. She was either 14 or 15 at the time. (Or 13, or 16....I never knew for sure because Phoebe was a stray I kept.) I had her for almost 13 years; nobody really could tell me how old she was when I got her.
Many of her last meals were McDonalds cheeseburgers, with fries. If she'd a told me she wanted large chocolate shakes, she would have gotten those too.
Let your old guy sleep as much as he wants to, and make sure he is as comfortable & pain free as possible....14 is very old for some dogs.
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

There are special orthopedic beds you can get for arthritic dogs. My friend got one for his golden and the dog seemed to really like it and got a lot of relief from it. You can also raise the water & supper dishes so he doesn't have to stoop so low. He sounds like he's well-loved and well-cared for.
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:26 PM

Thank you all so much for your support.