Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 5th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Does anyone know anything about labs?

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about labs. We are going to look at one tomorrow. I have seen her before and she is very friendly. She has had her shots and is spayed. She is 1 and a half years old. If she chooses me to be her mom I will have a furbaby to love.
Old January 5th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Never owned one, but have known many!
HIGH energy. Labrador Retrievers are natural athletes, goofy, energetic, love to play ball.
Smart.
Will eat anything that isn't nailed down so a: make sure she doesn't get fat and b: monitor the kinds of toys she has, ie, rawhides would most likely not be a good choice
Very social, great family dogs, great with kids.
Uncomplicated, sturdy, not given to being neurotic.

These are generalizations, of course...she might be a cranky, unfriendly slug with no appetite.
What colour is she?
Oh....the light coloured ones shed more, it seems. Or maybe it's just more noticeable....but it seems to me the golden labs tend to have a heavier undercoat.
What do you know of her history?
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:14 PM

She is a chocolate lab and has been staying with a family that has 2 kids ages 8 and 6 and have had no problem with her. They raise birds and it is coming up on mating season for the birds. She is very friendly and energetic just what our family needs.
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

There was a chocolate lab in an agility class I was in last fall....a very cool dog!
I hope she "chooses" you (Iknow she will.)
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:23 PM

I am excited too! Almost like when I was a kid lol hard to sleep when you are this excited. Going to go see her around 9 in the morning.
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

My brother has a chocolate lab who I labsit now and then and he is a wonderful dog. Happy, very high energy, needs LOTS of attention, loves to play (It takes them two years to mature officially anyway and "mine" is nowhere near maturity, lol) They are lovable, kind and very smart! I adore chocolate labs!! Congrats and good luck!!!
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:31 PM

She will get lots and lots of attention. I am a stay at home mom and we have a 9 and 14 year old. LOL I don't know who is more excited me or them. She has had some training. But I look forward to seeing how much the both of us can learn.
Old January 5th, 2005, 10:43 PM

Well I am going to umm try and go to sleep lol make the morning come faster. If anyone has suggestions on anything particular that I should be aware of or that I should be asking when I go to look at her again tomorrow please post as I will check here before I go. Thanks All!
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Good luck! Please let us know how it works out!! I hope the meeting goes well!
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:25 AM

By my clock, its 8:37 a.m.

I'll check back in a little while to hear about this beauty, hope everything worked out for you. Good Luck.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

We have a 1 1/2 year old female yellow lab, Shelby. We adopted her as a pup. She has been an AWESOME dog.

We have a 9 year old son. She's sturdy enough to take whatever he can dish out, but gentle enough to know when enough is enough. We also have a 6 month old Mini Schnauzer and she knows how much play he can take as well.

She was easy to housetrain and lives only to please. She is cuddly (thinks she's a lap dog) and affectionate and wouldn't hurt a mouse (literally). She loves to go for walks and never complains about the weather (hot or cold). Our vet kisses her face everytime she visits and tells us he wishes he could work on dogs like ours all day!!

The downside (there are always downsides) are the shedding (not too bad in the winter, spring is REALLY bad) and the chewing (only if left alone). Tons of chew toys are a MUST!! I hear the chewing will go away as she matures. I understand a 1 1/2 year old lab is still considered a puppy.

Apparently labs are the most popular dogs in Canada (North America?). I know why. You will find out too!!

I can't wait to see pics. Good luck.
Attached Images

Old January 6th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Well hubby's best friend has 2 Labs.A chocolate and a yellow.Gunner(chocolate) and Max are very layed back,and very mellow,not hyper at all.And they also have a 10 year old son.The dogs are great with him.Gunner actually like to talk to you.LOL.They do love the attention though.

A buddy of mine at work has a Yellow lab,Dippy(don't ask...lol)He's 1 1/2.He got him in Dec from a friend of his who couldn't keep him anymore.Again,very layed back,gentle,and calm.Actually very well trained.

The way I see it,any breed can be very hyper,get into things,misbehave.It all has to do with the training.

Look at it this way,in the show world if these breeds acted up,would they be showing?Just something to think about.

As for my buddy at work,I did have to talk to him about his Labs food.Dippy is a bit overweight and the previous owner was feeding him Dog Chow.Not a good food at all.So he has switched it.

The one thing you need to be careful about in Labs is they can get what's called Bloat.Because they are a deep chested dog.Here is a link you can read up on.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

Some questions to ask.
Why can't she keep the dog.
Is the dog good with other dogs.
Has the dog been socialized with other dogs.
Ask to get the dogs medical records(if any) from her vet.
How is the dog with other children.

Also,it the dog has a licence,you will have to call and change the owners name over to your name and address.

Well these are some of the questions I can think of.

I hope it goes well.Keep us updated.
Old January 6th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW,what a beautiful dog you have there.
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:00 PM

Woohoo!!!! I brought my furbaby home today! She is so beautiful. She is full of energy and had to check out her new home. We have already gone on our first walk together. Oops. she did have her first accident in the house but I knew that would happen since she has to stake out her territory and all and I took her out right away so that she would get the idea that it is a no no to go in the house. She listens well and when I tell her down she lays down. I give her lots of praise for this. When we first got home I let her roam a bit and check things out but kept an eye on her to see where she would go - LOL she checked every room. Then I sat on the couch and called her, she came right to me and rolled over onto her back for a belly rub. Right now she is laying down right beside me. What a great dog she is. I am so happy that she adopted me. I will post pictures as soon as I can. Right now I am going to give her some much needed attention for being such a good dog.
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations Kathleen, sounds like she chose a great new forever home!!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Conratulations!! She sounds wonderful!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 01:45 PM

This is Molly's first picture. I took it with my webcam not good quality lol she kept wanting to come to me. I hope I attached it right.
Attached Images

Old January 6th, 2005, 01:48 PM

This is another one that I took. Going to have to find the digital now.
Attached Images

Old January 6th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

What a Gorgeous dog! Congrats on your new addition!!!
Old January 6th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Formerly MomtoJimShelby

She's a beauty!! Keep the pics coming! ....and have fun !!
Old January 6th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Just thought I would update everyone. Molly has been home now for almost 8 hours. She has had full access to the whole house (with supervision ) and other than the one poo accident, that she did 5 minutes after we got her home, she has had no more accidents in the house. LOL could be due to the fact that I have taken her out 4 times already today even as hard as it is snowing I didn't just let her out I put all my winter gear on and out we went together, which I enjoyed as much as she did. LOL that from someone who hibernates in winter time. She is adapting very well and she has already stolen our hearts.
Old January 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

She is beautiful and you are very lucky for her to have adopted you.I hope you all live up to her expectations, I am sure she will be very happy in her new home I think she lucked out and got great owners. Good luck good trick for dog proofing get down on your knees and look around the room these are the things that your new baby will scope out and possibly chew you have to look from their view point.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, Molly is beautiful.
Yes....dogs make us bundle up and go outside....she sounds like a real sweetie, look forward to more photos!
Old January 6th, 2005, 08:17 PM

Thank you so much Mastifflover for the advice. I did just what you said and omg I did find a few things that would not have been good for her to chew on or get curious about. They were just under the flap of the couch where I would not have noticed if I had not gotten down on my hands and knees to take a long look around her environment. LOL of course she thought I was playing but I got to the items before her and removed them. I sure feel better knowing that her home is safer for her.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM

Congrats on your new adition! She's a beauty. Our neighbors (and good friends) recently adopted a 6yr old Chocolate Lab (retired stud). Upon bringing him home, he immediately set about chewing up everything in the yard - garden hoses, plastic garden edging, etc... I bought him a Kong - the black one (for heavy chewers). I have yet to see him put that thing down. If he's outside, he has the Kong in his mouth. Each family member has to spend at least half an hour tossing that thing for him throughout the day. They just bought him a red one, and he didn't waste any time destroying it. The black one is still intact. I highly recommend one for your dog - for any dog, really.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Better learn to like the cold

Great looking dog. Congratulations.

I used to be a wintertime couch potato as I also hated the cold just like my one dog does. Now both of us have no choice but to go for a one hour run everyday because of the energy of the other dog. Before this I'm sure neither of us had much use for winter clothing.

You seem as excited as I was when we picked up our pups. You can own many material things but nothing brings me as much joy as my two dogs - I'm sure it's the same way with kids. Even on the worst days nothing bothers me on those walks no matter how cold and miserable it is.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM

Well we had an eventful first day. Molly is such a wonderful addition to our family. By the time everyone got home from work and school she had adapted well to her environment. She was excited as each of the other members of the family returned home. She doesn't have any toys yet but I see a trip to the doggie toy store in the very near future. Our son found a safe ball to use for now to play with her and normally I do not allow ball playing in the house but I figured it was good for Molly's adjustment. LOL even my husband was throwing the ball for her to chase and teaching the proper way for our son to play with her. When they first started playing Molly didn't want to readily give up the ball but it didn't take long for her to learn that if she brought it back and dropped it they would play longer. She learns quickly too. After just a half hour of play our 9 year old son just has to say drop and she drops the ball then he snaps his fingers and she sits to await the next throw. We made a tuggy thing out of an old cloth place mat until we can get one of those rope tuggy things. When we sat down to dinner she sat by the table but didn't whine or try to get anything off the table she just stared at everyone in turn maybe hoping that someone would pitch her something. She didn't get anything from the table this time although I am sure she will from time to time but I told the family that she needed to adjust to us still and since she was being so well behaved I did not want to start a behavior of begging that she did not possess now. I did give her a treat after I had cleared the table so that maybe she would understand what a good dog she was not to beg. She slept on the floor on my side of the bed, several times I woke up to find her with her chin on the side of the bed looking at me. LOL I just patted her head and told her she was a good girl and said down and she laid back down. Got up this morning 'no accidents thru the night and nothing chewed' I got dressed and took her out all the time telling her what a good girl she was. I could go on and on as she is an amazing member of our family. Sorry so long of message but couldn't help but share. Oh, and by the way what is a kong? I have never heard of it though I have seen reference to it in other messages that I have read here and on other threads. Also where do I get one.
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:56 AM
banned user

Congrats on your new addition! Sounds like she's the perfect pup!

A kong is a toy you can get at most pet stores, it's a hard rubber toy that dogs can't chew through... it has a hole in the center where you can stuff all sorts of yummy things into and it takes a long time for dogs to get it out... keeps most dogs busy for a long time!
Old January 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
I'm so happy for you...she's SOOOO gorgeous!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Molly got a kong today along with a bag full of toys that mother couldn't resist for her lol. She loves her kong. I even took her in with me, I didn't know untill I read on here that she would be allowed in the store with me.