Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 9th, 2010, 07:18 PM

Question Please Help Needed for Cats

It seems to me that in the USA people care more about dogs than cats because it is very difficult these days, when the economy is so bad, to find homes for homeless hungry scared cats. If anyone knows what I can do for these homeless cats please tell me asap. I have 2 cats of my own and it isn't possible for me to feed 10 other homeless cats and small cats that are between cats and kittens. The Humane Society is not helping much at all. They expect me to do all the work here because their shelters are full. We have a Cats R Us here and they never keep their word of helping either. I have tried all local places in Clarksville TN where I live and noone here can or wants to help. I put a note on the place where I live for someon to please help with these cats. Noone is helping as of yet. I put up ads, etc. I have done all I can. I called a vet and they don't take in cats. Now I am supposed to call pet stores. Last time I tried they said no also. So what is one supposed to do when nobody in a community is wanting cats and dogs is all they want?
Old October 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM

KittyG it's no different here in Canada. Our shelter has been closed to cat admissions for a long time. They even have 'free' days when people can adopt a cat for no charge, just to get rid of a few.
It's too bad, that cats are seen as disposable.
Old October 10th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry you are going through this, it must be so heartbreaking. There has been a discussion previously on this thread of North American society viewing cats as being more disposable than dogs .

The only thing I can think of is to bring it to the attention of the media, try to get vets who will offer their services at no or low cost to spay/neuter them. Canvas pet food stores and ask for damaged cans/bags of cat food for very low prices. And finally, if you can, get your local council involved in trying to supplement low cost spay/neuter clinics. At least if they are spayed/neutered they won't be populating. The media can be your best friend .

Hopefully somebody else will come along who can offer more substantial advice .

You are an to these kitties.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 10th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe you can contact Alley Cat Allies for some advice?

Thanks for caring, by the way. This planet clearly needs more people like you. I totally understand how hard it is not to get discouraged by the apathy of most humans, but just do what you can and even if you can only help one cat, it'll mean the world to that cat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Unfortunately it isn't just in the USA. It's all over the world. Until people stop treating cats as pests who are only here to help eradicate other pests (mice, rats), and start treating them with the same respect they do dogs the problem isn't going to change.
Thing is - you can change things in your neck of the woods. There are many low cost s/n clinics in the US. Hopefully there is one near you that would be willing to help you. Yes, you will have to do the work. Yes, it is possible. More than possible. Many people have done it. Most with little money to spend. All you need is perseverance and determination. And a live trap. Maybe once people see what you are doing they will be willing to step up and do their part.

SCM gave you a great website to check out. It will help teach you about t/n/r and programs that are available to you. SCM has also been instrumental in cleaning up her area.
Love4himies also gave you some great advice. Beg, borrow, do what you can that is legal. Try writing to some pet companies and see if they would be willing to donate some food.
Here are a couple of sites for building low cost shelters for the kitties for over the winter. I'm sure there must be a spot in your area where you can put them out of the way and protected from severe weather.
http://www.indyferal.org/index.php?page=shelters
http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_...WINTER_SHELTER
In the winter it would be near impossible to feed canned food if you are in a very cold region. But you could put out dishes of dry with some warm water available (to be changed regularily), and give an occasional can (or a few) of tuna, sardines, or some other fishy cheaper foods. A big bag of dry food is economical and will last for a while.
Good luck and thank you for caring.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 10th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Doggie Wench

Found this list of TN organizations while looking for other information. Some of them may help with TNR programs and/or put you in contact with others who may be able to help .

Humane Society of Putnam County: Cookeville (spay/neuter assistance)
www.humanesocietyofputnamcounty.org

Young-Williams Animal Center: Knoxville (pet food, spay/neuter and vaccination assistance)
http://www.knoxpets.org/

Nashville Humane Association: Nashville (pet food, spay/neuter and vaccination assistance)
www.nashvillehumane.org

Fayette County Animal Rescue: Rossville (pet food and supplies, assistance for necessary veterinary medical care)
http://www.fayettefcar.com/
Old October 16th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Willing cat servant

All I can say is thank you for caring. Thank you so much and blessings for you and the kitties.
Hope the info provided by the members is of any help to you.

Have you tried friends, co workers, family?
Internet ads, maybe a local group, a small group of people who rescue animals, they're all over the world, in places you wouldn't imagine. There might be a group of good people working for them in your community

Tags
homeless cats;