Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 30th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Looking for Some Cat Advice

My husband and I will be going away for two weeks in October and I don't know what to do with my cat. I'm thinking about putting him in a cat hotel while we're gone. Friends are telling me to leave him home and have someone come in to feed him. I had a friend who left her cat home for a few weeks and came back to house filled with urine and feces. I'm worried he might destroy the house because he's upset about being left alone. He is a very affectionate cat that spends most of his time on my lap. I know he'll be very lonely while we're gone. Just wondering what your thoughts are? Home or a kennel?
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:30 AM
Senior Contributor

On the very rare opportunities I get to go away for a while, I use a cat sitter, who will come into the house 3 times a day for feeding, litter cleanup and general cuddles..I have 5 kitties and one with medical prolems that would not do well outside of his own home.
I used to use a service...same lady each time, but when one of my guys required meds and close observation, the service would no longer send a sitter so I now use a vet tech from my vet's office who knows my cats well and enjoys the extra money. I would recommend asking your vet for names of sitters she may know of .... a wealth of information and she lik,ey knows them personally as well.
I have a friend who has a sitter stay at her house while she is gone, but I would feel more comfortable with the visit system.
The visit can be tailored to your needs...plus mine does not mind watering the outdoor flowers. I pay $20.00 a visit- $60.00 a day and considering her education, feel I am getting a deal.
Any good sitter will spend quality time with your kitty and ensure litter is scooped and swept and there are no surprises to find on the floor.
Good Luck!

Last edited by quincymycat; May 31st, 2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 06:47 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have left my cats home for two weeks and had a person come in and feed them.

Snowball would NOT have done well at a kitty hotel so it really it depends on your cats and who you have to take care of them.

Last year we left Sweet Pea and Jasper alone for two weeks with no problems (Puddles came with us) even though I think both would do well in a kitty hotel.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

A cat does much better being at home than in a kitty hotel. Saying that if you can find a good one and your cat is used to being on the move then he won't be as stressed about the whole thing.
I keep imagining a "house filled with urine and feces". Did the person they have come in to look after the kitties clean the boxes just once? Poor kitties.
You have to make sure whatever you decide that the person you get to watch kitty is 110% reliable!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a family member come and provide for my cats while away. If that is not an option, maybe a good friend that is responsible and who already knows your cats?
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I always keep my cats at home and have someone feed and water them and scoop the litterboxes.

It's a rare cat that doesn't mind going somewhere else to stay, so most cats do better left at home and most will be fine for a couple of weeks as long as they have food, water and a clean litterbox.