Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

Old November 7th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Is it possible for members eyes only??

Rainbow suggested in an other thread if the TJT could be for members eyes only, Is it possible to do this??

The TJT does not have anything to do with your pets well being and it is our way of letting off steam, it is for our well being. It's a place just to chat about anything we want....

I think it's a great idea..
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hmm - Not sure about this one. We're not saying no, just not sure.

The second any guest becomes a member, they go from anonymous person to members and they then would have access to TJT ....so I'm not sure I understand why it is a good idea.

Plus won't seeing friendly chit chat encourage others to join the community?

I'd love to get more feedback on this one.

Thx

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 7th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hmm - Not sure about this one. We're not saying no, just not sure.

The second any guest becomes a member, they go from anonymous person to members and they then would have access to TJT ....so I'm not sure I understand why it is a good idea.

Thx

Marko
you could put a restristion on it like what you have for the pet blogs and the pm's maybe not so high in number of posts...
so many posts = able to read and post in the TJT.

IMO the TJT is just as personal as the pet blogs..
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:08 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
The TJT does not have anything to do with your pets well being and it is our way of letting off steam, it is for our well being. It's a place just to chat about anything we want....

I think it's a great idea..
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post

IMO the TJT is just as personal as the pet blogs..

I agree.....the TJT is a personal chat forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Thx

Marko

You could also say not being able to read the TJT might make others curious enough to join.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:14 AM

I think it's a good idea, it is often times a personal problem rant place - a gathering of friends talking about personal issues, jobs, significant others etc

just my

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:03 AM
Live well, laugh often

OK, my two cents is that I like not having to log in to check out the TJT. If we had to log in every time then we would always lose the new posts even if we are just doing a quick TJ peek.

Sometimes I am having a crazy day and don't always have time to post but I still like to check in and see whats happening in the lives of my favorite pets.ca people.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM
-

I quite often "get behind" too but I sign in and go into "invisible mode" until I get caught up.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Live well, laugh often

The TJT was actually one of the things that sucked me into joining pets. I feel that it is a good way to more easily learn the personalities of a lot of the regulars and that helps to make people more comfortable. I lurked for quite a while before joining and felt that when I was ready to join I already had a pretty good read on most people. If the TJT wasn't visible to people not logged in then that would not have happened.
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:50 AM
-

We can get pretty silly in the TJT sometimes and that could scare somepeople away too.

When I checked this forum out I was impressed by the knowledge of some of the members by reading the answers to peoples questions so that's what made me join. When the TJT started I didn't post there for the first little while.
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the input thus far - valid points on both ends.

I'd like more feedack from more members on this issue please - either here in the thread or by PM.

Thanks as always!

Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM
-

Where's the rest of the "TJT regulars" thoughts? ......
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM

i know i have not been in the TJT i know where it is and can always find it but i have yet to chat on it.. mostly cuz i know i could never keep up with it.. but i don't see why not make it members eyes only.. for those who use it regularly... since it seams more like a personal place to talk.. with out strangers reading daily rants and thoughts in it.. they should have to join to get to know you better on the more personal level...
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by white wrabbit View Post
i know i have not been in the TJT i know where it is and can always find it but i have yet to chat on it.. mostly cuz i know i could never keep up with it.. but i don't see why not make it members eyes only.. for those who use it regularly... since it seams more like a personal place to talk.. with out strangers reading daily rants and thoughts in it.. they should have to join to get to know you better on the more personal level...
WW you don't have to keep up, I thought the same way as you did almost a year ago, but in time I have learned you don't have to keep up....
but sometimes I do make notes so I can remember things that was posted.. try it you might like it..
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Where's the rest of the "TJT regulars" thoughts? ......
I am torn .... yes I would like for it to be member's only , might get other people to become member just out of curiosity ....
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Papa D

i agree with frenchy....also we talk about things that nobody but regulars would know.

i also think that it gives spammers some inside info before they attack.
i think after 25-30 posts then you can access the TJT.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm torn, too. It is nice to be able to check out the news on the TJT without having to sign on if I'm in a hurry or if I think I'm going to be losing my connection soon (like tonight) because I hate to lose all the new posts, too...

But I could live with it as a members' only forum since it really can get pretty personal and sometimes there are things I'm reluctant to post about because I know it's an "open" thread. I'd just have to rely on "Today's Posts" to keep me more or less caught up on the "New Posts".

I have to say, though, that if I were just deciding on whether to join up or not and I saw the TJT, it might be the thing to draw me in...but then, hazel is a crazy ol' biddy...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
If we had to log in every time then we would always lose the new posts
You could use the today posts instead. I often have computer troubles and when I come back I loose the new posts, I find the today's post works the same.
Old November 8th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

It's really more like a chat room with friends. I think after a certain number of posts would be a good idea....it'll help keep out the trolls and spammers and encourage newer members to post more so they can come in and see what everyone is talking about.

Cindy
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
You could use the today posts instead. I often have computer troubles and when I come back I loose the new posts, I find the today's post works the same.
I would have to check this out - but I believe that if guests could not see it it would NOT show on todays posts.

I'd like to have at least 10 different points of view in this thread before considering to change the way it is. I don't understand how spam palys into it at all. Spammers couldn't care less what's in TJT. They post garbage/promotion and we ban them.

So if we change the way it is now the two cons will be -
1) you can't see what's going on without logging in
2) Guests will get an error message and can't see what a fun and sometimes fun/whacky community we have.

What will the advantage be, when all an anonymous person has to do is join to have access? Personally I don't understand the privacy issue in this case. We don't use our real names and just how personal is the posted info anyway when it can be seen by other strangers that we don't know when they sign up.....

Just trying to understand.

Thanks!

Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
-

Hmmmm....I'm not really all that big on "secret handshake" kinda clubs. Or what's that old Groucho Marx line " I wouldn't join any Club that would have me as a member!"

I don't know that I understand the spam connection . If people are concerned about guests or new members reading details about our private lives I can't see how that could hurt me any more or less than having members I know read about my so-called-life . Afterall, for all I know Member X in Bangaladesh is secretly the guy who lives next door in his parent's basement
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Doggie Wench

Pro: It may seem more appealing to non or new members (hmm, what's behind that closed door?)

Con: It may seem too much of a 'clique' if restrictions apply therefore not too appealing to non or new members .

What exactly is the reasoning for wanting the tjt 'private?' I'm afraid I don't get it .
Old November 10th, 2007, 02:56 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Hmmmm....I'm not really all that big on "secret handshake" kinda clubs. Or what's that old Groucho Marx line " I wouldn't join any Club that would have me as a member!"

I don't know that I understand the spam connection . If people are concerned about guests or new members reading details about our private lives I can't see how that could hurt me any more or less than having members I know read about my so-called-life . Afterall, for all I know Member X in Bangaladesh is secretly the guy who lives next door in his parent's basement

I don't understand the spam connection either.

I agree with the
Quote:
for all I know Member X in Bangaladesh is secretly the guy who lives next door in his parent's basement
for those of you who live in the big cities BUT for those of us that live in small towns it is pretty easy for someone living in the same town to figure out who someone is.
Old November 16th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Hi everyone,

Still not sure about this issue - by my loose count it seems like 5 for making it private and three against....with a few replies wavering between the two.

There seems to be about 20 members that regularly use the TJT and only about 8 or 9 responses...with no clear 'winning' side at this point.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter