Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 2nd, 2007, 04:54 PM

I just wanted to comment that I agree not all dogs need to be inside nor do they want to. I have a dog that prefers to be outside all of the time regardless if it is 30 below C or not. I try to make him come in when it is that cold he comes in for a few min then is whining to go back out. He simply curls up in his dog house and is perfectly happy. When I go out he comes running out and wants to play in the snow etc. but not come in. Just because a dog lives outside doesn’t mean it is not part of the family and it is not mean to leave a dog out there either. There are plenty of breeds that can live outside in winter without a problem. My dog is hot 5 minutes after he comes in and sleeps on the cold tile floor by our drafty door instead of on his warm bed. I think Farm dogs learn to stay around the yard when they are taught to stay and my experience with barking dogs is it just depends on the dog. I have had dogs that are quiet and others that bark only after hearing other dogs bark. I think it depends. Anyway that is my 2 cents. My dog is an Orange Samoyed Golden Retriever Cross
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNKy View Post
did you even go to the link. it said the dog loves being outside. and although it didnt mention whether or not they could live outside, the owners will have heated dog houses for them at nght. and any good owner when the whether gets cold will bring their dog in.
I think you should take into consideration the fact that you live in texas....if the OP lives in CAnada....a short haired dog outside is a big NONO!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 2nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
lol I doubt it. They're probably happily settled with their non-shedding, guarding, nice to strangers, no nailed, outdoor doggy.
That's funny! I think you forgot 'good with kids...'

I love those family-friendly-kid-and-stranger-loving-guard-dogs-that don't shed-or-poo-or-smell-bad-or-fart!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Hee hee heeee.

Also, another OP stated that the spca would recommend a dog for their requirements? No, they wouldn't. They'd recommend one of those robot dogs rather than the non shedding, no nailed, no barking friendly guard dog. They wouldn't even consider adopting out. At least not the one I volunteer at.

Sheesh, I'm grouchy tonight.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Senior Contributor

If any rescue organisation tells you they'll set you up with a stranger-loving-no-nailed-no-shedding-guard dog then you should run screaming the other way!!

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipot View Post
I have a dog that prefers to be outside all of the time regardless if it is 30 below C or not. I try to make him come in when it is that cold he comes in for a few min then is whining to go back out.
Boo likes to chase rabbits. He cries when I hold him back and let the rabbit get away. Doesn't mean I should let him run across the street into traffic.

I whine when I don't get enough chocolate, too, and that certainly doesn't mean it's good for me.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:01 PM

I grew up on a farm in southern Ontario, we always had a dog of some sort, usually one that would just show up some day, or maybe a puppy that a neighbours dog had and couldnt get rid of. These dogs NEVER came in the house, my father was very strict about that. They had a dog house, and could go into the barn if they liked. That is the way the dog was raised, and they were fine with the idea. They stuck around, barked at strangers, and kept the cat population down, (I already know that I will get harped for that comment, but anyone who has lived on a farm knows what I am talking about). My parents still live on that farm, and still have a dog. She is a shep/rotti cross and is a great guard dog, people rarely get out of their cars, unless they know her, and she is great with kids. My parents picked her up from someone who was moving and needed to find her a new home, she was around 2 years at the time. My sister also had a dog that stays outside most of the time. She has one of those invisible fences to keep her on the property, and she is great with kids and also barks at strangers. She is a pointer mix.

There are dogs out there that can live very well outdoors, keep tabs on strangers and still be loyal family members. It really depends on what they are used to and how they are raised. I would certainly check out a shelter, or paper for an older mix. But if you insist on a purbreed, any of the dogs in the working group would probably do fine, they were mainly bred to be guard dogs, yet still be easy to work with and train, and sturdy enough to be outdoors. What ever you decide on, get it from a reputable place.

Just wondering, why do some of you think the dog was domesticated anyways, and where were the first dogs kept? answer: for protection, and guarding the "cave" where the people slept. After that, they were turned into pets.
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

To me dogs are not pets either... they are family members,
I chose to get each of my dogs... therefore its my responsibility to make sure their needs are tended to. Perhaps my dogs are spoiled... perhaps I treat my dogs better than a few people I know treat their children... perhaps I am over the top...
Bottom line... My dogs are warm at night, loved, respected and needed. They are not an alarm system ( which if they had to be, they would fight to the death to protect their home) nor are they lawn ornaments... set there to "look good"
Sure we all know of the "farm dogs" who ate whatever, slept where ever, bred with all the neighbours dogs when ever, roamed the bushes when ever and so on... that have lived very full lives, but those days are behind us now... honestly farming is not nearly as common anymore, as times have changed.
So... why cant the mentality of "pet ownership" change too???
Few people now have dogs to protect their livestock, we have them as companions... as MY companions my dogs will be subjected to some of the "finer" things in life and treated as Iwould like to be treated.
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:19 PM

Omg

Seriously - there is no one breed of dog who will do all that. Maybe you should get an alarm system instead.

NO dogs should be left outdoors, dogs are PACK animals and need companionship!
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow this thread is still going on,did they ever get a dog?Are they still here?