Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 20th, 2006, 06:12 PM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

Your dogs are beautiful. I would get another dog right away if I could but none of the breeders I contacted would sell me a pup because my yard is not fenced and I don't have a run/kennel in the yard. Hey are you posting your pictures on as an attachment?

Nevada
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:21 PM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

Here is a picture of my girlie who passed! Her name was Lydia
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2006, 07:27 PM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

Here's The Boy With His Friends! His Name Is Kemo And He Is The Big One On The Right!!!
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Honest Contributor

total sweethearts! what a beauty lydia was.

your boy looks more Mal than Keeter (in that photo), he is a beaut, i love his coloring!!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Soh Dan

Hey Technodoll and Rim&Val, What ever happened with Soh Dan? Did the rescue find him a new home. I applaud the owners for trying to rehome him where he'll be happy. Shadow, my Akita/Heeler has separation anxiety too, and we came very close to having to rehome her but managed to work through to a happy ending with her. She now stays outside on a locked/fenced patio with her buddy Halo quite happy enough during the day. I know she'd rather we were home, but she has learned to accept this which sure beats having to part with her. I hope SohDan has found a happy ending. Please let us know.
Old August 21st, 2006, 03:46 PM
-

I was also wondering what happened with Soh Dan? He's very handsome. I always love when TD posts pics of her beanies cuz their so gorgeous.

Nevada, your dog is gorgeous as well. I see one of his buddies is a husky. One of my dogs is a siberian husky and he's the third one I've had. I absolutely adore all the northern breeds.
Old August 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Laval Zoo

Technodoll, seeing Dakotah has made me fall in love with Akitas. I think that will be my next dog. He is extremely handsome, in great shape and he looks like he loves you SO much
Old August 21st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Honest Contributor

aawee thanks! akitas are the best dogs in the world (not biased here at all, noooo!) Let me know when you are ready to get one, maybe i can help with pointers... they are not a breed for everyone but with a few ground rules and a good breeder, you're !!

ps: last i heard, they still hadn't found a home for soh-dan... dunno if they decided to keep him or not

Old August 21st, 2006, 05:17 PM
Laval Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll
aawee thanks! akitas are the best dogs in the world (not biased here at all, noooo!) Let me know when you are ready to get one, maybe i can help with pointers... they are not a breed for everyone but with a few ground rules and a good breeder, you're !!

ps: last i heard, they still hadn't found a home for soh-dan... dunno if they decided to keep him or not
I'll definitely come to you for any help. We have a German Shepherd/Husky right now. He's a year and 3 months old. We would love to eventually get him a playmate. I love the way your boy looks. A huuuuuuuge teddy bear!
Old August 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I love the way your boy looks. A huuuuuuuge teddy bear!
you mean this mug? LOL notice the DRIPPY DROOL!

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:32 PM

EWWWW!!! lol

(Hey that pic might actually be life-sized on my screen)
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:01 PM
Honest Contributor

i was too lazy to resize and no his head is WAY bigger than that. i know cuz he came next to my laptop and tried to lick it !! LOL

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:02 PM

lol I guess it depends how big your screen is.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:03 PM
Honest Contributor

i am afraid to ask!

Old August 21st, 2006, 08:06 PM

lol I have a small lcd tv for a screen... I can have picture in picture (which I have on now) so I can watch tv in the bottom corner while I surf. Gâté pourri.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

This is my BIL's Akita "Chase"!:love:
It's hard getting a good pic, because he always tries to kiss the camera
Attached Images

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Honest Contributor

oooh he be boootiful! loooove those big regal bear heads :love:

Old August 21st, 2006, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
oooh he be boootiful! loooove those big regal bear heads :love:
He it truly a wonderful dog! He still acts like a big puppy, and he's 9 or 10 years old! He has bad arthritis in his hind legs, but still insists on running and jumping like a pup.

I have to find a picture of my MILs' Akita he was also a beauty (black head, fawn and white body) but he was the total opposite of Chase, he bit It was like a game to him, he would wag his tail and act all happy to see the person, but that was just his way of getting them close enough so he could bite!!!
Do you know how many times we would warn people that he bites, and they would approach him anyway and sure enough he would bite.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old August 21st, 2006, 09:33 PM
Honest Contributor

happycats i HATE hearing stories like that! i mean, where were the owners in all of this? man... if one of my dogs even *thought* for half a second about biting or nipping anyone, they would have a Come To Jesus meeting they would never forget and NO MORE!!

Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Technodoll, a few weeks ago I was dropping some stuff off at QHS and they have an Akita there, this is the first one I have ever met. He was gorgeous and such a big baby a real love bug. I never realized how big they were. They told me he is safe there untill he finds a home and I was glad to hear it.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
happycats i HATE hearing stories like that! i mean, where were the owners in all of this? man... if one of my dogs even *thought* for half a second about biting or nipping anyone, they would have a Come To Jesus meeting they would never forget and NO MORE!!
I'm sorry Techno, Keeta came to my MIL with problems (he was chained to a doghouse outside, because the owner became scared of him when he was fully grown ) I was the one who begged her to take him, because I felt so sorry for him being tied up all the time, and they were going to have him put down. Keeta was very dominant! Yes he bit, and yes we tried to work with him, but like I said, it was like a game to him!!
everyone he bit was warned, and were still stupid enough to try and pet him I mean, just the size of him should have scared people off!!
Even the Bell guy got bit, and I was holding him at the time!! The guy insisted that ALL dogs loved him, and I tried to pull Keeta away, but the Bell guy waked right over, and sure enough bite!

Sorry I'm going off topic , I just dont want anyone to think that we trained the dog this way, he was a puppymill dog with issues when he came to my MIL.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:01 AM
Honest Contributor

oh happycats, i know your family didn't train him that way sorry if that came out wrong. now i understand why he won't stop the "mouthing games... you can only do so much with a dog who was abused in his previous life. you guys are angels for taking him on. i just pray that nothing happens down the road, akitas are very stubborn as well as very smart but they CAN be trained... with love, patience and the right tools. Has he been seen by a professional trainer who can give tips on the NILIF program? it sounds to me as if he thinks himself as ALPHA, as only the alpha in a pack is permitted to discipline with his teeth.

sorry for sounding so protective of this breed... they are on many BSL lists (partly because of such non-corrected behaviors) and i would just hate for a more serious bite to happen, you know? :love:

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:14 AM

Since we are on the topic of Akita's, there is an Akita X in the Cochrane Humane society (just outside of Calgary) and she has been there a long time :sad:

http://www.cochranehumane.ca/html/adopt/dogs.htm
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:17 AM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

[QUOTE=happycats]He it truly a wonderful dog! He still acts like a big puppy, and he's 9 or 10 years old! He has bad arthritis in his hind legs, but still insists on running and jumping like a pup.

Happycat

My girlie was the same way, right up to the day she got sick. Actually the two dogs in the pic I posted earlier with my boy were her buddies too, and many years her junior. But when you put them all together you'd never know it. She ended up getting bloat and she was in so much shocked that the vet thought that just by putting her under for the operation could kill her so we had to let her go.

Nevada
Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:23 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
there is an Akita X in the Cochrane Humane society (just outside of Calgary) and she has been there a long time
oh what a beautiful girl... why can't i adopt them all

nevada, that is such a sad ending for an old gal.. . unfortunately, bloat is quite prevalent in the akita breed, i'm petrified it will happen to ours someday, specially my boy cuz it runs in his family... and for long good health for everyone!

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

:sad: Keeta died of cancer awhile back . He was my MIL's dog.
The dog pitured above is "Chase" and he's my BIL'S dog (My BIL fell in love with the breed because of Keeta)

Chase is a big love bug, but he loves to pinch with his teeth, and finds it quite fun!! When my son was 1 year old he actually pinched his ear (left a little blood blister ) I gave him royal crap, and he never did it again.

But he has this weird habit, if he sees kids wearing scarfs or hats he tries to get them off! (That's what he was doing to my son when he got his ear) his teeth actaully start rattling (like he's shivering).

Nevada, I'm so sorry about your sweet girlie, Keeta's illness came as quite a shock to us too, and he had to be put down as the cancer was throughout his body and he was in pain.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 09:46 AM
Honest Contributor

ok i feel like an absolute idiot - happycats, i'm so sorry about keeta & my not reading your posts correctly. i'm not fully "in sane mind" right now after the day i had yesterday, maybe i should have a 2nd coffee Good thing i don't operate heavy machinery for a living!

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
ok i feel like an absolute idiot - happycats, i'm so sorry about keeta & my not reading your posts correctly. i'm not fully "in sane mind" right now after the day i had yesterday, maybe i should have a 2nd coffee Good thing i don't operate heavy machinery for a living!
Awwwww not to worry, I wasn't very clear in my post sorry.

Keeta is in a better place now, where he can bite whoever and whenever he wants (I know he would want it that way)

Old August 24th, 2006, 09:30 AM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

Quote:
total sweethearts! what a beauty lydia was.

your boy looks more Mal than Keeter (in that photo), he is a beaut, i love his coloring!!
Yes I agree Technodoll he does seem to have more Mal in him. He also has the strong Alpha complex, which has made it difficult to socilaize him. He is a big baby though when it comes to his momma. Here's a pic with his sister.

Nevada
Attached Images

Old August 24th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Honest Contributor

aaah now i really see the akita in him, what a beautiful head & expression he has :love: you must get asked all the time what he is eh? Both mals and keeters have strong personalities and need a firm hand in bringing them up (and bringing the best out of them) but what you get back is undescribable. back when i had my dobies (early 90's), one of my breeder's friends raised & showed Mals - some of the most beautiful specimens i have ever seen - and this guy sometimes took my dobies in the ring when my breeder couldn't. anyways he rarely sold any of his dogs to "single soft-spoken women" because the Mals became over-protective of them and could be a liability these are powerful, independant thinkers and coupled with the stubborn, intelligent akita, you must have a handful of love in your house, LOL!

pretty please more photos? he's sooo beautiful! also if you use www.photobucket.com, you can post bigger photos