Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Exclamation Puppies Born into Parvo?! In Desperate Need of Help!!

I've decided to come ask here, as I'm in desperate need of help but cannot get in contact with my vet... or any vet in the area, for that matter..

At the end of August I lost my puppy to Parvo Virus. Unfortunately, I was in a very bad spot at the time (I had just lost both of my parents and my older brother in a car accident, and found myself with custody of my niece and two nephews), that I honestly never got around to the “Parvo Clean Up”. I had no other pets, and there was never enough time for such a major endeavor.

It wouldn't have been a problem but, as of today, I find myself the new owner of my ex-roommate's heavily pregnant Rat terrier (That in itself is a very long and complicated story, I won't get into).

The terrier, Charlotte, is due any time now. My parent's ran a dog rescue when I was growing up, and I've dealt with my share of whelping pups, but I've never been in quite this situation. You see, Charlotte has never been actually vaccinated against Parvo, I was told, but she did survive a case of it when she was a puppy. Will the puppies still get the needed antibodies from her?

I have no idea what to do for these puppies to protect them, right now. I've moved to an extremely rural area and, as stupid as it is, will NOT be able to get in contact with a vet until Monday (although that hasn't stopped me from trying). Too, there is simply no where else I can safely send Charlotte; I have few friends and fewer family left.... and even the local animal shelter is filled to capacity, let alone non-kill shelters. I only took her in to begin with because I knew, had I not, that my ex-roommate would have simply left her outside, on her own, to “let nature take it's course”. As cold as it's been, I don't doubt Charlotte would have been dead before morning.

Her temperature hasn't dropped yet, so I hope she may make it until Monday. Is it too late to clean/bleach the house? Can a dog be vaccinated while pregnant? What are the pups odds if they're born into a house infected with Parvo, or do they have any chance at all?
Old November 16th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

You do need to consult with your vet and I would also suggest getting the pregnant dog out of the house now. I really can't say if you are not going to see a major problem here but I shudder at the fact the bitch dog has had no protection, which she in turns gives to her pups. I can't like this.
How on earth was she not vaccinated and you also had a parvo loss?

What is going on??
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM

Wow... what a story.

I would get the pregnant dog out of the house ASAP. If you don't have anyone that will take her, put her in an outbuilding, the back of your car, somewhere else. While she is out of the house do a complete disinfection.
Anything the dog used should be thrown out. Any hard surface should be disinfected with bleach. Any soft surface should be disinfected with lysol. Carpets should be steam cleaned. However, even with all these measures its not reccomended to bring young puppies into a house where there was a dog with parvo for at least a year. Is there an animal shelter you could take the dog to?

Best of luck
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Investigative researcher

Is there one room you can quarantine the dog in? IF you clean that room thoroughly with bleach and lysol, you do not enter that room with shoes/socks you wear anywhere else, you wash hands before and after entering, the dog never leaves the room, [meaning training pads/newspapers in one corner] and you have a fairy godmother, you might get lucky. Other than finding a vet asap and giving them the whole story, not much else you can do, judging from what you said in the first post.

Tags
puppies parvo whelping