Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 26th, 2003, 03:40 PM

Question Kitten on adult food?

Hi Guys, just looking for a little input here....

We have 3 kitties - a 7 year old(longish hair, gets the occaisional hairball), a 3 year old (who is overweight), and an unneutered kitten (approximately 3-4 months, is healthy, good weight).

Now my dilemma.... I would ideally like to keep the kitten on kitten food until he's almost a year, but seeing as no one ever wants to eat their own food (and I can't always stand around to "monitor") the overweight kitty inevitably ends up eating the kitten food. Seeing as the kitten is a healthy weight, I'm more concerned about what the overweight kitty is eating. So my question - is it okay for a kitten to be on adult food at 3-4 months old? Could I possibly effect his long term health by taking him off of kitten food so early? I would ideally like to feed them all the same food (the 2 adults are on Royal Canin Indoor formula).

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well...I know many people (myself included) believe puppy formulas for dogs are merely an advertising ploy! "Life stage" formulas of commercial pet food is a pretty recent development, and cats & dogs seemed to do just fine.

FWIW - the last cat I had from kittenhood to old age never had "kitten food" because I don't think it existed then. She lived a healthy life right up until she was 17 years old.

I think it's fine to feed adult food, especially since you feed a good brand as it is.
Old August 27th, 2003, 09:42 AM

Smile Kitten food

Thanks, Carina...

The Royal Canin Indoor formula is also somewhat of a light food(13% fat), with "hairball care" properties in it. Any reason that that should make a difference?

The kitten also gets canned kitten food and "cats milk" as a treat, so I'm sure he's getting all the good stuff he needs.
Old August 27th, 2003, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never fed kitten food - any and all kittens I had ate canned adult food and they were just fine!

The only time I feed kitten food now is if I'm using dry food for foster kittens, because little baby kitten teeth can't crunch the adult food.
Old August 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, the hairball formula can cause diarrhea sometimes, but if the kitties are doing fine on it I don't see what's the harm...and if the kitten is getting canned food to supplement, he's getting the extra calcium & protein he needs...
Old August 27th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

What about mixing the 2 types of food for a few weeks, then the kitten is still getting the nutrients it needs, plus the older ones are getting the hairball treatment and low cal stuff! I did that when my little one was eating my older one's food and they are both healthy! I don't think the type of food will harm their growth in the long run as long as its the good quality food!!
Old August 28th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Thumbs up

Catt31,

The kitten was on kitten food for a few months, but he always seemed to want to eat the older cat's food (and vice versa). The overweight cat's weight is verging on unhealthy, so I'm naturally more concerned with what he's eating. Also, I beginning to think part of the reason the overweight cat is overweight is because he was on kitten food for almost a full year!

I think what I'm going to do it feed them all the RC Indoor and give the kitten canned kitten food and cat's milk to supplement. Seems like the best/simplest solution.

Thanks!