Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

View Poll Results: Do you think crate training is a good method for training dogs?
Yes 29 90.63%
No 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10th, 2001, 12:39 AM
petmaster
Othello Champion

Do you think Crate training is a good method for training dogs?
Old March 12th, 2001, 05:00 PM

Crate Training

Crate training is the best way of training puppies. I will NEVER even try a different method.
Old June 18th, 2001, 12:00 PM

Tried, tested and true. The best way to have a happy sane pet and owner.
Old June 27th, 2001, 02:19 PM

Crate training is the way to go!!!

Worked great with my german shepherd

Howie
Old June 27th, 2001, 03:57 PM

Provided it's done correctly, I think crate training is great!

~~

Old September 2nd, 2001, 08:44 PM

yikes!

I have a 5 yr old crazy jealous cat that wants to rip out my new Border Collie's eyes(9 weeks old),,how can I train the cat to cool it????
BTW,the puppy loves its crate,,,
Old November 22nd, 2001, 12:41 AM

I thought I'd post as the only (apparently) oddball who doesn't like crate training. I just can't get my head past the concept that it's just a cage. And I don't like the idea of putting my baby in one. I will admit that when I first picked her up from the pound, that I used a crate (borrowed) for the first couple of nights -- because I had no idea of her background and habits. But that was it. Within the first week, I had her fully toilet trained and, within the next couple of weeks, I also had her "area trained" -- so there's no nasty surprises or dead grass anywhere on my back lawn except in her toilet area. I would never consider using a crate for anything other than night time confinement of a non-housebroken dog. I also subscribe to the theory that a person should always be at home with their dog (within reason, of course), so I didn't get mine until I retired ("Freedom 30 Something"). I know that made it a heck of a lot easier for me to get my training done!
Old November 25th, 2001, 06:45 PM

crate training

We have an 8 week old puppy (3/4 Black lab,1/4 Beagle) and we didn't even think of crate training. How is this concept of training used? Is it used for discipline, or house training, or anything? Our puppy is doing pretty good as far as papertraining goes, but she is really hyper and chews and nips at people. Could we use crate training for this problem? She already goes into a little crate on her own sometimes, to sleep. Maybe we should consider using the crate more often.
Old March 17th, 2002, 08:09 PM

I've used crate training on two of my three dogs and I'm not that keen on it. Some dogs just never adjust to it. I have a 14 week old puppy right now and she cries for 15 minutes every time you put her in a crate; she hates being crated. She wakes up during the night and cries and wakes me up too.
Crate training works for some dogs but not all. And I don't believe dogs she spend hours and hours in a crate. It's not healthy psychologically I'm sure.
Old March 19th, 2002, 01:36 PM

I am new here

but I thought I would just jump right in and join the discussion. I am a lover of the crate training, provided as was stated above it is used properly.
A crate in my opinion, should become a safe haven for your pup, and then grown pet. Of course they don't adapt overnite to one, but with time, patience, and making it a positive experience for them, you can turn it into a place they love to be when they have to.
I have a rescued boxer, that does suffer from separation anxiety. She was 2 yrs of age when we got her, and we immediatly started training her to use the crate. It was important to her safety that we do this, as she tended to get wild when we left, and causing injury to herself. I used treats, toys and praise to get her to adjust. I started out by coaxing her in there with a fav. toy, from there we would put a treat in there for her to go in and get, so she would learn it wouldn't hurt her, then we started leaving her crated for short durations while we went out, gradually increasing the time. Kailee now loves her crate, and goes to it when she seems to need some quiet time.
One good tool I have found for crating is the Kong, I stuff it full of treats before we go out, thus distracting her from our actual departure, and by the time she gets it cleaned out she is usually tired and falls asleep. Here are some instructions I followed while crate training.

Take a tasty treat and / or toy. Lure the puppy into the crate, praise and make a general big fuss with the puppy while they are in the crate, give the treat, have a little game with the toy and then allow the puppy to come out of the crate. Do this 2 to 3 time in a row, several times a day. Your puppy will soon be running into the crate of his own accord, so you can now put a 'word' to the crate for your puppy. 'Crate' 'Den' or 'Bed' are quite good words to use.
Once your puppy is happy in their crate, close the door and leave them in there for a couple of minutes. If you do this when your puppy is tired in all they may even lay down for a sleep when you close the door. Keep repeating this, letting the time your puppy spends in the crate build up. If the puppy cries ignore him. Only open the door when the puppy is quiet and calm. If you do comfort the puppy or let him out of the crate if he is letting his displeasure show, he will be very quick to work out that this type of behaviour works to get what he wants.

You will soon be able to extend the time your puppy is in the crate. Many pups and adult dogs will retreat to their crate (or 'den' to their way of thinking) if they want some quiet time. The crate should be your pups own personal space, just for them, somewhere quiet but where they can still see what the rest of their pack (you and your family) are doing.

Never leave a young pup or adult dog in a crate for long periods of time unless absolutely necessary. The crate is just a training aid and safe house for your pup and should not become a total way of life. Young pups should be crated or denned for their own safety when they can not be supervised, but they need to come out frequently to go to the toilet - even at night. See the article on housetraining on how to manage calls of nature with your puppy.

As your puppy get older and more sensible (this is possible with a Boxer LOL), you will have to crate him less and less. You may find that you go several days without using your crate, but it is still a good idea to have your Boxer go into his crate occasionally so he is happy with it when you do need it. Many people leave the crates up all the time with the door permanently open and their dogs can go in and out of them as they please.

Buddy: Waiting at the Bridge. Flashy Fawn Male Boxer. May 4, 1993 to February 21, 2001
Old May 16th, 2002, 10:21 AM

Crate Training

I am not a great fan of crates. Admittedly this may be because of my background - coming from the UK where the use of crates, is very very rare (certainly in the 29 or so years that our family have had dogs I have not met anyone who uses a crate).

Our first dog was paper trained within a few days, we did used to restrict his movement around the house by putting up a gate separating the kitchen and laundry area from the remainder of the house, this is where he slept, ate etc.

Our second dog, we were persuaded to get a crate/kennel for, as to be honest we were not sure how Canem would react to another dog in the house. Now Josie was fine with the kennel, although I suppose it was unfair to her to see Canem have free run of the house, so she did begin to act up. She too would wake us in the middle of the night crying as she was lonely. She also started to chew the inside of the kennel (despite having numerous toys, bones and a kong in the kennel). I also had concerns about her liquid intake during the day so provided her with a water bowl, which she promptly started chewing and tipping over. The times before the water bowl she was drinking insufficient amounts of water during the day and suffered a few episodes of urinary infections.

Part of the reason we got Josie was because Canem is a nervous dog and needs company, so to have her in a kennel all day just emphasised his loneliness, he could see her but they couldn't play together. I too had problems and issues with putting her in what appeared to me a very restricted space.

Now they both have free reign of the lower floors. They are not allowed entry to the bedrooms during the day. Josie's kennel is still up and the door constantly open - she rarely if ever enters the kennel. Canem has never made an attempt to enter this kennel. I could not see myself ever using this method again.

Restricting Canem to one room worked well when we were training him - he actually retreats to the kitchen when he wants 'quiet time', certainly I wish we had used the same method for Josie.
Old May 16th, 2002, 07:37 PM

crate training

I think crate training is great!!! The dogs like their crates and its a good place for a
"time out". Living in California...I'm much more at ease and confident that my dogs will
be safe in their crates if there is an earthquake and I'm not at home. If im gone for
some time...i just throw a bunch of ice cubes in there. They lov'em
Old April 5th, 2003, 02:15 PM

I used to be one of the people that thought a crate was cruel until I got my newest dog. He's never had a problem with using the bathroom in the house so that wasn't a problem. However, when I would leave he would find something to tear up. I already couldn't leave him outside because he could jump/climb a 6-foot fence. And, he just walked right through the screen in our screened-in-porch. He was driving me crazy! I tried a tie-out, but he kept getting loose from that too.
Finally, I had to try the crate. It's been a life-saver! He only goes in it when I'm gone and doesn't sleep in it at night unless he's staying somewhere other than home.
Also, my other dog has actually taken over his crate when I leave it open. She feels safer in it. They will both go in it on their own as long as there is a bed in it.
Anyway, the point is, I believe that crates are fine, but I probably would only use it as a last resort. Mainly because they are expensive and heavy since my dogs are very large dogs.
Old April 22nd, 2003, 10:52 AM

Thumbs up Crate

I think it's a good idea ! Myself, getting a shis-tzu and people told me to get a crate that it will be easier to get the puppy trained.... and it will become thier home. I'll let you know how things are going later on
Old August 8th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up I Love Crate-Tranning Done Correctly

I have used a crate on both of my dogs and it makes them, in my opinion, all around better pooches. They are comfortable being in "there space" when I have to be gone or must leave them with a sitter(usually my MOM).

I do not feel that the crate should EVER be used for punishment and that the dog should always know that it is a safe and loving place to be.

With my Boston Terrier, We used the crate when we were from him for a few hours and the first few months at night. Once he was eating fewer times per day and sleeping all night we moved him to his "big boy bed". We never had any problems with potty tranning either but NEVER used the crate as punishment if he did have an accident.

With baby #2, An American Bulldog we are just starting. He LOVE's his crate! I am also a BIG fan of scheduled feeding and potty breakes. My dog's are like clockwork! The Crate becomes like a safehaven for the dog's once they learn what it is for. We have only had our AB for a few weeks so he is still sleeping in there. He always goes to his crate at 10 pm ready for bed after his last snack of carrot and Peanut Butter and his last sip of water.

It also makes it great when I have to leave them with a sitter or the kennel that we leave them at. They always have their crates so that they can really fell like they are at home!