Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 7th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
I like the halti when used properly, but for a small dog like this (lhaso apso mix) i would rather use a harness than a halti, i dont think that a halti is necessary or useful with smaller breeds... imo its more to help control the larger and stronger breeds...
We were using a harness, but I switched to a collar, thinking it would discourage the pulling, even with my little guy. So you think harness is better? Should we switch back?
Old April 7th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I am a fan of the "Gentle Leader" it's a harness that attaches the lead in front of the chest.
Old April 8th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Thanks Marty. It turns out I won't need to buy a Gentle Leader. We're fine with the equipment we have, namely a standard collar and a harness with the o-ring up top. I've made some very interesting observations today and yesterday concerning Max pulling. Whether I use a collar or a harness, it makes no difference. What really makes the difference with Max is food rewards for desired behaviours, as well as doing the quick reversals and direction changes suggested by a few members in this thread. Once I rewarded with food more frequently, Max was very attentive to me and very cooperative. Before, I just wasn't carrying enough treats on our walks; I was relying too much on verbal and physical praise. But Max already receives a lot of that type of attention. Food was key. Interestingly, he really gets into the direction changes. I think it's like a game to him. I say "This way Max," and he obliges, all the while watching to see what I'm doing and where I'm going and whether I'm getting another treat for him.

So thanks to everyone who gave excellent advice in this thread. Max and I will keep working at it!
Old April 28th, 2011, 09:42 AM

Question

Just out of curiosity Maneater, why do you think the retracable leashes are garbage? I've heard that from a few folks lately......
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:38 AM

GENTLE LEADER works for me
My husband can manage taking Lucy for a walk
I cannot - as soon as I put on the Gentle Leader she is "perfect" on the walk
I take it off as soon as we get home as it leaves a ridge in her fur, but I don't have it on tight
Try it !!
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy49 View Post
Just out of curiosity Maneater, why do you think the retracable leashes are garbage? I've heard that from a few folks lately......
I know that the question was directed elsewhere but I'm feeling nosy

The reason I don't like retractables is that, because they retract, there is always tension on the leash - in effect you are teaching the dog to pull so they can move forward. You can lock it, but then it is really easy to tangle youself because the line is so fine.
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Since this thread has been resurrected ( just after Easter you know ) I will chime in with the - ta, da, Butterfly harness. My neighbour has one on her little Puggle. When the dog pulls the harness makes her front legs go wider apart and then she can't walk properly and stops pulling. It looks like two simple sliding loops around the front legs, attached behind the shoulders.

If anyone is able to find this please post back. I have never been able to find it and I've told a couple of other neighbours about it and they want to see it. I suspect it must also be known under a different name 'cause I haven't found anything called butterfly harness. I'm not endorsing either, you can check it out yourself, but my neighbour loves it.

ETA: When I google butterfly I do find dog harnesses but they're only called butterfly because they have butterflies woven into the webbing or perched on the shoulders and none look anything like my neighbour's.
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Longblades, could it be the Lupi harness? http://www.google.ca/search?q=lupi+h...w=1366&bih=574

We tried it with Lucky not long after he arrived (I think we tried everything ) and, although it sorta worked the first few times, it still didn't stop him from going nuts when he saw something he wanted to chase after. That had more to do with me relying on the harness to teach him rather than myself though.

Buddy49, another reason I personally don't like the retractable leashes is because a dog can quickly dart out into unsafe places ie. the road, at another dog, towards cyclists, etc. The leashes can also quickly entangle with another dog or it's leash. We've used them when walking through fields and on the beach while camping and I don't mind them so much in places like that but, the locking mechanism broke easily.
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

YES, thank you, that's it. I wonder why her's had a different name? She really liked it. I've never used a harness but I looked at her's and it seems to me your dog could get burns from the cord under the front legs. Anybody find that happened? It's not working properly then, I suppose, so you go on to try something else.
Old April 28th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
YES, thank you, that's it. I wonder why her's had a different name? She really liked it. I've never used a harness but I looked at her's and it seems to me your dog could get burns from the cord under the front legs. Anybody find that happened? It's not working properly then, I suppose, so you go on to try something else.
Yes, that happened with Lucky (he still pulled after awhile, totally my fault). The one we got came with this fleecy material that wound around part of the rope to prevent chafing/burns but it would slide down all the time.
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:37 PM

Personally, I'm a fan of these
http://www.softouchconcepts.com/prod...on_harness.php

I find that front-connecters discourage pulling very well, but they are minimal and comfortable for the dog.