Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old August 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM

Exclamation My Dog Stinks... Worse then he should

I don't know what to do! Bo is a cocker pug, was abused, and itches all the time. He wears a flee colour, but chews himself, scracthes, and chews his paws to the point he is limping. He is currently on IAM's dog food, and he get it with acidophilus pills and active bacteria yogurt. Can someone help me? I feel sorry for him because he is so itchy, and he smells so bad to the point my parents want to give him away and get a different dog.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the Board OneDirection. I hope you are able to resolve your issues with Bo, but it seems if you have not already had him to the vet that should be your first course of action. The vet can probably give him something for the itching, and do a culture to see if the smell is a skin disorder. Your food is not the best to be honest. Iams advertises alot, but is not the best on the market. There is a lot of info in our food threads, and you should give it a read through. Bo's odour and itching could be food allergies. Check the ingredients on the Iams bag - is corn way up there on the list?? Not a good thing. Go to a quality pet food store, and look for a grain free food with natural meat proteins. The more natural foods cost more to purchase, but you don't feed them nearly as much and they last longer than the cheaper brands do. I feed my 70 lb lab a 30 lb bag that lasts two and a half month for $62. Really if Bo is that stinky a vet is in order. Good luck and we'd love to see pics of your boy!
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

If the dog's skin smells, he probably has a skin infection. He will need an antibiotic for sure, and then you have to figure out the cause as it will likely re-occur. Try and limited ingredient diet like salmon and potato and get off the Iams. Good luck!
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDirection View Post
I don't know what to do! Bo is a cocker pug, was abused, and itches all the time. He wears a flee colour, but chews himself, scracthes, and chews his paws to the point he is limping. He is currently on IAM's dog food, and he get it with acidophilus pills and active bacteria yogurt. Can someone help me? I feel sorry for him because he is so itchy, and he smells so bad to the point my parents want to give him away and get a different dog.
oatmeal baths are good for itchy dogs , maybe this would help a little with the itching. If your dog smell really bad it could be a health issue , I bring him to the vet. Where did you get the dog from?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

First thing I would do is Vet him and probably agree to a short course of corticosteroid, like Vanactyl P, to stop the itch cycle. If he is scratching to the point of injury and limping his open wounds can allow serious infection. I will guess your Vet might try him on an antihistamine or both.

This summer in much of N. America has been very bad for those with seasonal allergies, human and dog. My dog started itching much soomer this year.

SEasonal allergy is a more common reason for itching than food, in many readings I've done. Google, you will see. Personally, if the food is working I would stay on it and attempt to change only one thing at a time. If you are lucky it is seasonal and will clear up when the weather cools. I am assuming it is a new thing. Then you could try a better food. My dog is on a three food rotation. He will itch on all three in the hot, humid weather, he is fine on all three in winter so it was easy for us to tell it was seasonal and not food.

Many, many dogs are smelly this summer, last summer too. The heat and humidity does it. Oatmeal baths were recommended to me too, haven't tried. 50/50 water/vinegar or a lesser amount of epsom salts/water may also help but do not get either on broken skin. The vinegar one will help with smell too, but for the itch I had to repeat often, like several wipedowns a day.

First step is your Vet.

How are his ears? My Vet says if ears are yeasty it can transfer to feet when they scratch. Too many possibilities to deal with on your own, I think. Vet. Good luck. Poor little guy.
Old August 22nd, 2012, 11:31 AM

Like everyone else who mentioned it I would bring him to the vet. I use lemon grass in my home. The birds love it, the cats love it. Sometimes the birds can get stinky and when I give them lemon grass and a fresh bath they smell like lemons, not to disagreeable. I really got into the lemon grass thing when I got my birds. It's anti fungal apparently if there are no counter indications with dogs you could try it. I have never researched about dogs and lemon grass as I now live in a condominium and have no dog.