Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 10th, 2004, 09:35 AM
banned user

I thought that when my daughter moved out I could turn her room into the Lizard room.

I understand your feeling on this issue and respect them. I have the same feeling about Birds. I don't think they belong in the house.

I am very frightened to get anything I don't know about.....this is my biggest concern. I would hate to be responsible for its death or illness. This is why I am pretty sure I will not get one because they take allot of work and you really have to know what you are doing to insure it's survival.

Thanks for the tune up though I really never thought about the pet trade. Now I feel really bad. I don't want to harm anyone or anything. But you got to admit Lizards are cool lol!

Old February 10th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,Amaruq they are,but that does not mean i would buy one
I think just about everything is beautiful in it's own way esp,wolves,any big cat,cheetahs,tigers etc,bears even a little spider,they all serve a purpose and if left alone in their own environ,will survive..
The capture and transportation of big Iguanas,especially from Mexico should not be encouraged,half of them die on the way,the same as with tropical birds etc..
I am sure you would do your best to be a good Iguana-mom,try to do all the right things,but your best bet is to travel to Mexico,if you can and see them in their habitats,they can sometimes be up to five feet long(tail incl)and they are amazing.
Old February 10th, 2004, 11:43 AM
banned user

Chico..if you love wolves... know a great book for you..Secret Go The Wolves by R.D. Lawrence.....I loved it! It's a true story about R.D. raising 2 wolf cubs. Get a box of kleenex both for laughing and crying.
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i totally agree, reptiles are the coolest of species, and i am soooo glad that you wont be getting one, one less that needs to be captured, just remember demand=supply, no demand no supply. and if you look hard enough there are reptiles to be enjoyed everywhere. good decision
Old February 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM

Melanie because of your sense of humor I thought of you as I was reading this!

A rancher from Texas goes to Australia to study their way of ranching.
The first thing he asks about is their hay.
After the Australian rancher shows him some examples of
8 foot tall haystacks, the texan says, "Thats nothing! In Texas, we roll hay
8 feet wide and 15 feet tall!"

Next, the Texan asks to see the horse coral.
Before the Australian rancher can open his mouth, the Texan says,
"Our coral is this big and this wide!"

Suddently, a kangaroo goes bouncing by the two ranchers.
The Texan says, "Well, what in the heck was that?"

The ozzy says, "Don't worry mate! Thats just a mouse!"

The Texan's eyes look like basket balls.
Before he can respond, the Australian says,
"Don't worry, mate. The cat will get 'em."

New fun stuff brought to you by Hotbar.com - everyday!
Old February 10th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Funny 44
Amaruq(indian name????)
Yes,I do love wolves and have studied a lot about them,although I have not read the book by RD.Lawrence but I know of him,I have seen documentarys.I will look for the book in the library...
Once a long time ago there was a documentary about a pair of wolves,the female got caught in a leg-trap,the male stayed with her and they both died of starvation,now,that's love and devotion!
The problem with documentarys,is they show the ugly truth and I don't handle it very well
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

ha ha ha ha ha, oh 44 that is very funny, and suprisingly similar to many tales we tell tourists and children and a good reflection of aussie humor, tall tales are our speciality such as the python that eats humans, drop bears, and that old simpsons favourite of catching a ride in a roos pouch. but have you seen the size of some feral cats, wow you could just imagine it chasing down a roo. thank you for that one, i will send it on to my mum, she will love it oh and we dont call it ranching, we have cattle stations and farms here
Old February 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

oh and funnily enough, we were walking to the park the other day, we live in a small country town but still a busy little place non the less, and we came around a corner and here were 2 male red kangaroos (they are the biggies, about the same size as a grown teenager or woman) standing in the middle of the road. well we need to go for a run so we had to walk past them. as we got closer (poor dog was looking at me with little faith) one big boy came up to us, about 3 meters away and started hissing and carrying on (they sort of growl and hiss, quite scary). well i was thinking "no one will belive me if i tell them we got beaten up by 2 reds on the edge of town", so we started to walk a little faster and he just stood there watching us. oh he was soooo beautiful, but he didnt move, just watched us and showed us his chest and dominance. well havent seen him since but i actually think that was a close one, thank goodness the dog is not a barker or it could have really gone pear shaped, i really hope we see him again.
Old February 10th, 2004, 09:30 PM

That is to funny. I am not sure I would have been so determined to get the run in! I might have turned around and gone back home and had a nice ice cream sundea!!!!!!!!!!1
Old February 10th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Chocolate

ladies.... I'm a little worried we haven't read anything from Frenchie today...

Old February 11th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry that you felt that people where rude to her.

But understand something,WE are not vets.

WE did suggest something.We suggested that she take the poor suffering puppy to the vet.

If it's something non life threatening,then we can try and help.

We were not upset with her.We were upset with her Grandfather.

How can we advise any medical care on here if we are not licenced to?

We had a guy come on here who's Rottie was VERY ill.He,not being a vet,diagnosed Kennel Caugh.Why,cause he read it on the net.Without taking him to get checked.

We all told him to take the poor dog to a vet ASAP.

He argued with us and was VERY nasty.In all the time he argued,he could have taken the dog to the vet.He didn't.

This dog was very sick,lathargic,loosing weight and not eating.

Guess what?The dog died the next day.Once he finally took him to the vet.After being sick for days.

So please don't come on here and say people where being rude.
We are tired of hearing poor animals being sick and people can't afford a vet.

There is no price tag on owning an animal.

We are not all rich.But those of us who have dogs/cats will ALWAYS make sure we can take our sick pets to get medical attention.

As for this being the "ask a vet"....the vets on here are only backup.They are very busy.And will not get back to you as soon as you post.

If you notice on the ask a vet board,it will tell you to seek help ASAP if your pet is bleeding,has diharrea,vomiting,ect.

We try our best to help.But like I said,WE are not vets.

As for your first post,No one was rude to you.

Do you know the effects of not having your dog neutered?

it's called testicular and prostate cancer.

Look it up on the net.
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Nothing makes me more upset then to come to a forum and find that someone has asked what to do about their pets illness because they don't have or don't want to spend money on a visit to the vet.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought I was going to loose my beagle. She was throwing up constantly and lethargic. Having been layed off in August, money is tight in my house. I took my poor dog to the vet, where she recieved medication and after one more scary night she recovered beautifully. I don't know what I would have done had it been more serious and required surgery, but I would have done something.

At no time, when she was sick, did I get on my computer and ask people what they thought was wrong and how I could fix it at home. I did talk to a couple of people who know my dog and have years of doggy experience. You can bet that they didn't offer me any over the phone advice. One of them did give me the number to their wonderful vet, who is now my vet.

I, personally, hate to see an animal suffer and it galls me when people can think that their computer can be a substitute for a vet visit. And yes, I will probably let you know.
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:57 AM

I agree that certain things need to be taken straight to the vet, but I am one of those that likes to treat things as naturally as possible. I try to use home remedies before going to the more drastic route. I do the same with myself and my humand children. I don't run to the doctor when I have a small fever, or a cough, and I have learned through many years as a fur child owner that certain things can be taken care of by me, without the traumatic trip to the vet. I have also learned that some things CAN NOT be treated by me and should go straight to the vet. I think that frenchy was scared and if you aren't used to finding the money to go to the vet you don't know what to do, you reach out anywhere you can. I went through and read some of the comments and some did come on awfully strong. I think sometimes we have to remember that we can catch more flies with honey then with oil!
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I too was thinking about Frenchy and her puppy,I don't think anyone was rude,but sometimes it's difficult to envision someone with an Internet-service and a PC being soooo poor.
Frenchys grandfather is in the old-time-farmer kind of state,I doubt he even buys dog-food,I am not sure why he kept dogs in the first place to have one litter after the other.
That's what we objected to!!!
I believe the puppy is more than likely dead,one way or the other..Frenchy did say she had no transportation,no money,no heat in the house other than wood-stoves and 9 months pregnant....but she had Internet?
It came through,that she cared about the puppy,but I don't think they would really bother,what's one little puppy,when there are soo many every year.
She said they were taking the little puppy to the vet,but probably mostly to ease our minds,that's my opinion.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:44 AM

You are probably right. I doubt they took him to the vet. I think the grandfather probably had the dogs around because of habit. You get a puppy because he looks sooooo cute, and it goes from there. A lot of the old farmers and even the next generation don't think about having the animals fixed. Far to often they are seen only as property, not family.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:04 AM

My post was in reply as to why the old farmer would have the dogs running around in the first place. I don't know anything about your dog and whether it is or is not spayed or nuetered.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:07 AM
banned user

Chico:

Ever see the movie "Where the Red Fern Grows"? Oh man I cry so hard at that movie.

R.D has field studied wolves for a long time. I have enjoyed many of his books.

I also love wolves and the big cats....oh wait and Bears. I always wanted to be Grizzly Adams...me a cabin...the forest now there's the life.

Amaruq is inuit for wolf.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:15 AM

You have to remember that most of these women work with abandoned dogs daily. They see the horrible reality of what happens when dogs are left to breed without care. Starvation, and abuse, and abandonment. Then the lucky ones are found and adopted out, less lucky ones are put to sleep were they at least aren't suffering, and the unlucky ones continue to suffer. They are trying to help control the problem by convincing as many as theycan to fix their dogs. Sometimes they don't come of as easy as they could, but I don't think anyone could when theyhave seen what they have to see daily. In addition to the overpopulation of these dogs, you have to think about the health issues. My grandfather bred his doberman twice, and then never had her fixed. He watched her carefully and she never got pregnant when he didn't intend for it to happen so he felt it wasn't necessary. Well, it wasn't in order to prevent puppies in his case, but due to not being fixed, she developed cancer in all of her mammory glands. Can you imagine that pain? So please stop and remember that these women see stuff that I thank God I don't have to see, and sometimes that can make you a bit angry and less then forgiving!
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

MizzErica.Actually it is our business wether you n/s your dog or not,many people in this Forum are there to pick up the pieces after unwanted dogs/puppies have been thrown to the way-side.
If you are a responsible registered breeder,I might see a difference,but even then we don't need any more dogs in our shelters.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Amaruq,I know what you mean,I feel the same way...Oh,to live with a cuddly"little" Grizzly or a pack of wolves Heaven!!
I will look into RD.Lawrences books..
I did not see the Red Fern movie,but if it is sad,I rather not,I like happy endings,with the wolves walking into the sun-set happily ever after...they are magnificent animals.But then again,I am amazed at the Red-Tailed Hawk coming to pick up a well-fed sparrow in my back-yard....
Nature is a wonderful thing,maybe not for the sparrow
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:29 AM

Where the red fern grows in one of those mixed happy, and sad. The poor puppy dies, but it has a good ending.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:55 AM

You don't have to be a vet to have some commen sense! My degree is in accounting. I have never taken a class on vet medicine, but commen sense tells me that there is a dog population problem, so my dog doesn't need to have babies even though she is a full blooded lab! Second, after having dealt with one dog who had cancer because she never got fixed, commen sense tells me that I should have my future dogs fixed so that I don't have to do it again!!!!!!!!!! I took my child to the doctor for a fever, doctor told me to give them tylenol and no big deal, second child comes along, I don't have to run to the doctor for advice, I know what to do. COMMEN SENSE!!!!!!!!!
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:11 AM

I am not harressing you about it. I am trying to let you see that there are valid reasons for having it done. Your dog is male so you won't have to deal with the puppies, but no fence in the world is completely escape proof. I have a keashound that never tried to escape, but one day he smelled a female dog, and even though my back yard has a 6 foot fence he got out. I thank God he was fixed so I don't have to worry about any little puppies out there. Second, lets say for sake of this thread, that he can't get out of your backyard, so you never have to worry about any puppies, but what abouthis health? What about the cancers that can be prevented by having him fixed? Why would you not want to help prevent that pain and suffering in your dog?
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:14 AM

Apparently you don't have kids. Fevers can be caused by several things. When a child has a fever, it can be caused by the flu. Not much the doctors can do for flu. So you give them tylenol and wait it out. Second, my daughter has allergies and she often times runs a fever when they act up. Been there enough times to know it, and it simply takes one dose of tylenol and she is back up and running. Commen sense is knowing my children well enough to know the difference between a commen fever and something more serious.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Ear infections as well as other infections have certain symptoms that you learn to watch for. It is people like you who run their kids into the doctors for antibiotics at every sniffle that is causing problems. Now this commen little problems are changing and becoming far more deadly. It is natural and healthy for a body to fight the infection of on its own if it can. This helps to build the immune system up. Funny thing is that since I don't rush my kids in for everything, they rarely get sick. The people I know who do rush them in, are for ever dealing with their kids illness's
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Well, this thread has degraded quickly. I will not allow myself to be drug down with it anymore. I am truly sorry that you are upset at anything I have said, and even more sorry that I lowered myself to this level. I will pray that you will gain some understanding and knowledge to the wisdom of having your dog fixed, and for your children. God Bless.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

The assumptions we make are based on the posts you post. While argument is a good thing, you are stepping over the line when you start calling people nasty names and start using foul language on a public forum.
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I did make an assumption that she had no kids. But that was my mistake and I take full responsablity for it. However, I can tell when I am just going to get drug down a path that I don't want to take so I give up. Good luck if you can get through!
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

MizzErica.. Wow! Nobody is telling you what to do,we just told you a little about reality out there..it is a cruel world for unwanted animals.
So calm down....
Most of the time we have fun in this Forum,trade experience with each other,but we have one thing in common,we love our animals which I am sure you do too.
Then we get questions like"Frenchy's"imagining this little puppy who can't even walk..and it is difficult to give advice other than,get him to a vet ASAP...
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah chico we usually do have fun on here.

BUT it only takes a few to screw that up.

And name calling is not neccesary on here.We are adults on here.Or I would like to think so.

My 17 year old acts more adult then some on here.

No guys,not you regulars.