Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old June 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Kitty pimp

I feel sorry

So I talk to people who ask me "what do you see in having a pet?" "they are just stupid animals"

I feel sorry for them. They will never know the feeling of love and caring a pet gives you.
They will never know the joy of having an animal trust and rely on you
They will never know the happiness after coming home from a days work and having a dog greet you with awagging tail.
I get a thrill every time my DU comes over just to say hi and get a pet
She isnt hungry, she isnt sick she just wants to be there with me
how can someone not be affected my that.
So i usually walk away thinking whats missing from that person? Do they not know how to listen with thier heart?
the heart knows but you have to listen.
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
-

You said it all Jim, they are poor souls and have no idea what they are missing
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Jim I feel sorry for those people too that have not experienced the love that a pet brings! I feel sorry that they havent let their hearts be opened enough to let it happen! Sad isnt it?

I feel sorry for those that just dont get it! They just dont understand the true meaning of unconditinal love!

I am so blessed to have all my critters and to have that unconditional love !!!

You have been blessed too with DU and manda!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Jim Hall, this really must affect you because I have never seen you write so well.

All humour aside Jim Hall, this is something that people ask me as well. I get critisized alot about my committment to them and have even been accused of loving an animal more than my own family members. This is simply not true, but what is true is that they (people in general) are able to have control over their feelings, life and destiny. Animals rely on us to protect them, help them, feed them, house them and just respect them...and of course love them to bits!

There are those that don't understand, and those of us that 'gets it' - hence pet forums where we can freely express our feelings about our pets whether happy times or letting everyone know that we are grieving a loss of a beloved pet. No one here judges or minimizes our admiration, love and respect we have for our pets. There is no shame in that now is there.

Just ignor them Jim Hall
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Kitty pimp

cant ignore them i want to show them
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Master of the Drool!

I agree with BenMax, The reason I come on here is too fully express the joys and heartach of being a pet owner. I love having a pet in my life and love how my dogs have always made my family and myself feel.
Anybody who doesn;t understand those joys are very sad and loney people. Plus are tunnel visioned to true joys of life!!!
Well written Jim
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Jim you show them everyday for the love you have given to so many animals. I am afraid to say this but they will not ever learn until such time as they have had a pet to love of their own or at the very least a close friend or family that has one!

Does that make sense!

Take pride in knowing you show them everytime you help an animal!!

Oh I had a great idea! Get a tattoo that says Kitty Pimp on it and show them all!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Most of my friends have come to terms that to me my boys are a part of the family. but i still get the occasional sniger or comment about how my husband and I spend too much time and money on our boys... They dont understand that we love them as family not as 'animals'. When we say 'we cant leave for a week unless we can take Jermy with us' they just say 'cant you put him in boarding or something?'. They dont understand that we WANT to be with our boys and we miss them when we are away from them....

Thats something that no one can understand untill they have a dog or cat... i just dont see how my life can be complete without a cat and dog in my life.... luckily my husband feels the same

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Kitty pimp

i have beena round pets since i can remebr my folks had a boxer and a ghetto shepard after that cant imagone life wiyhout pets
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So well said, Jim, I too have always felt sorry for those who do not allow that love into their hearts or their children's hearts. Pets can make such great best friends for children.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Garden nut

I believe this is a learned behavior and most likely people that don't enjoy pets or gardening probably lived a pretty sterile life as a child in a city and not allowed to get dirty and enjoy nature from the beginning.

And many of those people are the ones that will end up with allergies which will compound their dislike and fear of animals.

There are of course exceptions where someone wasn't raised with animals and yet makes a complete turnaround as an adult.

I feel sorry for those people also for they are missing out on a LOT in life. The joy, life lessons and positive health benefits.

Pets bring people together. Just look how they joined so many wonderful people together on this forum.

Show them the hundreds of examples out there where the dog or cat was a hero!

I knew a family who had a Dalmation and that dog was soooo attached to one of their sons, who had a bad case of diabetes. And when he was a young teen he often neglected his diabetes. If it wasn't for that Dalmation keeping a close watch on the son and barking up a storm when he went into diabetic coma, those parents would have lost their son.

And stories like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96m4f4c6rZM

Two Golden Retrievers stayed with their master as he went out to check the family's horses. He never returned home. The dogs stayed faithfully by his body to protect against scavengers and ignored their own needs.

Or how about a lady walking her little dog when the dog started to act funny and when the owner went to investigate she found someone injured but alive on the side of the road. The dog basically saved a life just by alerting his owner.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; June 5th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old June 5th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
cant ignore them i want to show them
I can understand that Jim Hall. I do so through educating during adoption days, just yakking with neighbours etc.

I have to tell you this though...it's kinda interesting.

I was never a big fan of cats. We never had them growing up so we were never really exposed to them. When I turned 20 and on my own, I wanted a dog, but was not able to have one due to where I lived. So I opted for a cat. In my mind back then, any animal would do - I had to have something with fur. So I adopted a HUGE cat by the name of Alex from the Calgary Humane Society. He was spectacular. Everyone loved him that my sister and parents adopted cats (through me of course.)

Since then, I am a HUGE cat fan. I absolutely love them and I have become more of a cat enthuasist. I now have 4 (of mine) and a foster persian that I think I will just keep since he now fits in famously.

So I guess I am telling you this because sometimes people are just ignorant (as I once was). I did not know better then - but hey - look at me know!!!

Keep doing what you are doing. Someone is listening, and it will domino from there. You may never hear about it - but it's happening.
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM

I agree. I had something happen several years ago that made me bedbound. the thing that got me up and moving was the fact that my animals needed me. For almost 2 years, my 3 dogs slept next to me everyday, all day. THey were so gentle and careful of my feet, and then my wheelchair, then the walker etc. I just lost 2 of them a couple of weeks ago due to old age. One was 15 and one was 18. I was there at the end to help them feel good again. I then went out and adopted another doxi and now I have 2. I also have 3 horses, 2 of which are rescues. People thingk hubby and I are crazy. We give our furkids the best that we can, and are with them all the time. I just rescued a 5 months old feral kitten, had her spayed and ear tipped, as I was going to release her back to my barn where she was found. No way, she is now my first indoor cat, and spoiled rotten. Then I decided that as I had 2 dogs, that Smoke the Cat needed a friend so I adopted another kitten her age for her to be friends with. Yes, We might have more money, (I know we would), if it wasn't for the animals, but our hearts would have an empty hole in it.

Mary
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmary View Post
I agree. I had something happen several years ago that made me bedbound. the thing that got me up and moving was the fact that my animals needed me. For almost 2 years, my 3 dogs slept next to me everyday, all day. THey were so gentle and careful of my feet, and then my wheelchair, then the walker etc. I just lost 2 of them a couple of weeks ago due to old age. One was 15 and one was 18. I was there at the end to help them feel good again. I then went out and adopted another doxi and now I have 2. I also have 3 horses, 2 of which are rescues. People thingk hubby and I are crazy. We give our furkids the best that we can, and are with them all the time. I just rescued a 5 months old feral kitten, had her spayed and ear tipped, as I was going to release her back to my barn where she was found. No way, she is now my first indoor cat, and spoiled rotten. Then I decided that as I had 2 dogs, that Smoke the Cat needed a friend so I adopted another kitten her age for her to be friends with. Yes, We might have more money, (I know we would), if it wasn't for the animals, but our hearts would have an empty hole in it.

Mary
LostMary - bless your heart!
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Kitty pimp

lol mary sounds like you have a great fur family

i am also amazed at the ampunt ofpeoplewho are just afraid of cats
whats with that alotof the peeps in the aprtment building ilive in say my stray gray man looks scarey huh? he just a cat he would rather run and hide than attack as most cats would
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Awesome thread...
Guess who is the first to greet me when I come home and with great enthusiam!!!!!
GUINNESS....not my kids not my husband....they all say hi eventually..LOL especially if they see a bag from American Eagle in my hand.
But Guinness' love is unconditional...I lost my dog Dylan and the heartbreak was unbearable...especially in the way he died. It took a few years till I could bring myself to get another one, for the reason of "cannot replace them" and "wow I cannot go through that ever again. But a pet lover will do it again and I have never regretted it. (well maybe a few times like him eating a new digital camera or that time he decided to chase after that bird while still attached to my hand)
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I am in total agreement. I just don't understand people like that, and really don't try to waste my time trying to figure them out. There is obviously something lacking in their life, some feeling that has yet to be tapped.

I love my cats and they love me. Kiska hates being picked up, and when she's meowing at me like crazy and I pet her, she slithers away, yet she follows me everywhere. If she's asleep and hears me get up from the couch, she follows me.

When I get home, they all surround me and look up at me like, "Hey where have you been all day? We missed you!" That's a great feeling.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 5th, 2009, 02:57 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Kudos to you Jim for loving your girls as much as you do. You are the epitome of a true "man". I am amazed at the love you show your girls all the time. If only we could have more like you...............

I love the stories on here. All of them. It just shows how much love truly is around. Thank you all for what you do for your furbabies.

I bring my pets up many many times. Mostly at work. I have had tons of people look at me aghast and ask why I have that many cats. I say to them I would rather have them all and know that they are happy and healthy and looked after, then the alternative that could/would have awaited them at a shelter.

In all probability they would all have been euthanized. After all, there is nothing special about them. They are just all grey/brown tabbies, a dime a dozen. No special markings, no amazing talents. The shelter near us may be a no kill but won't take more if they are maxed out in numbers. I have adopted out those that I could. The ones I have that are semi feral are quite happy and content where they are. Feel free to come check us out. I think you would be surprised at how happy they are.

I keep telling people who don't understand at the end of my day I know I am going home to a ton of love. Pure and simple. No questions asked.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I keep telling people who don't understand at the end of my day I know I am going home to a ton of love. Pure and simple. No questions asked.
So very true and pure. . Infact, I am packing up and rushing home to my pets to squeeze them, kiss them and just hang out with them. Later Pets.ca! Have a great weekend, and don't forget to tell a stranger that you love your pets!
Old June 5th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

No need for me to add much,you are all wonderful caring people,the kind of people I don't meet very often,with the exception of people I have met from our Forum,14+,Dahmer,Aslan and Grace.
Any animal,no matter what it is,who crosses my path,I will do my best to help,my own cats I love with all my heart+little walking-buddy Bailey and Fate,whom I always keep an eye on.
It's often heartbreaking to care,we've all shed many tears for some unfortunate little soul and anger for the injustices,but what would life be like if we did not care,very,very lonely...
Old June 5th, 2009, 10:46 PM

These people are missing the most importante gift of life: unconditional love.
My dog not only teach me to be a good owner but also to care for other dogs that don't have her luck to have a good home.

Since I have her (2 years),I went at the SPCA to help after the 2 big raids.
I learnd to sew little doggie pjs and beds,not for her but for those in need.
I also drive MTL- Qc to be part of a protest against puppymills.

So I am thankfull for this little 9 lb furbaby cause she the reason of the better person I am.
Old June 6th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Obsessed animal lover

I think some people are just brought up differently. For example, my mom grew up on a farm where she collected the eggs, milked the cows etc. To her and her family, animals were just a source of food whether it was a product of the animal or the animal itself. So animals had more of a utilitarian role to my mom. Others just have that opinion.
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmary View Post

Mary

Bless you.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Lostmary that is a wonderful story. I think many of us here are the same. We could all have a lot more money, I know I could, but I would not change things.

Living alone, I remember I used to miss the company of another body next to me in bed, for nothing more than just comfort. But my cats give me so much comfort. On any given night, I feel at least 2 or 3 lying right against me. When I wake up, and feel Maks settling against me, I smile. When I feel Kiska and Czari moving next to me, it warms my heart. Vlad always has a paw touching me when he sleeps next to me, and even Oksana sleeps next to my pillow now and then. I feel so lucky and blessed to have these little lives, these beings who inhabit my space along with me. I can't imagine someone not wanting that, or not feeling warm at the thought of coming home to loving animal.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:43 PM

I like most dogs more than I like most people... any human who asked a question like that would just reinforce my beliefs..lol.