Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:27 AM
Husky Addict

puppy forgot things he learned

I'm about to totally lose it... Seriously...

Titus (4 months old husky) used to be a very good puppy at home, very clean and almost never peed inside (and never pooped inside). However this all changed... I do suspect some points though...

Two weeks ago, my boyfriend and I had to leave for a weekend and a good friend of ours, who knows Titus very well, even puppy sat him for a while before during the day, took care of him in our apartment while we are gone. He's someone very reliable, though now I have my doubts how responsible he is for taking care of a dog...

He told us that the evening we left, Titus peed on the bed and on the floor of the kitchen, he never peed on the bed before and it's been weeks that he hasn't peed on the floor. He just sits and look at us until we open the door (which we do)

We assumed at first that it was because of change, we weren't there for the night.

When we got back however, those behavior did not change, he peed on the bed two nights ago, and on the couch last night. He pees outside before we get him inside, I make sure of it, but then its like he saves up some for inside....

We also did a major cleaning and changed some furniture of places... I don't know if it might confuse him, its doubtful, all of his spots are at the same place...

I don't know how to deal with this, I want it to change, I'm ready to work with him for that.

Since last night he is now back on a very strict lifestyle, way less freedom, we bring him outside leashed (thing we stopped doing a months and a half ago) and hes back on a leash inside as well. More crate time too.

Anything else I could do?

PS : we cleaned the bed and sheets with natures miracle and did the same with the couch cushion (as best as we could).

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM
Senior Contributor

He is young and any type of change can throw things off balance ESPECIALLY if the same rules did not apply with his temporary care-giver.

Go back to the basics and re-establish routines and be consistant.

It is definately taking 2 steps back - but you will go forward a little faster than before.

Good luck.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:06 PM
Husky Addict

yea, well he told me he would follow all the rules/guidelines i gave him, but Titus really never did that before, and I know my friend is afraid of being "mean" with the dog, so when he says "NO!!!" its more like.. "no.?" not the same tone and everything...

I just hope its not going to be awful to teach him, he used to be sooo good and clean

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtoreth View Post
yea, well he told me he would follow all the rules/guidelines i gave him, but Titus really never did that before, and I know my friend is afraid of being "mean" with the dog, so when he says "NO!!!" its more like.. "no.?" not the same tone and everything...

I just hope its not going to be awful to teach him, he used to be sooo good and clean
Na - don't worry - you will get him back on track. Just keep up the good work and don't get frustrated.
Old October 21st, 2008, 12:17 PM
Husky Addict

hehe I try, hard not to be when he pees on the couch right in front of your eyes

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
He is young and any type of change can throw things off balance ESPECIALLY if the same rules did not apply with his temporary care-giver.

Go back to the basics and re-establish routines and be consistant.

It is definately taking 2 steps back - but you will go forward a little faster than before.

Good luck.

I agree with BenMax. It's back to potty training 101 for Titus. Sibes are notorious for being especially stubborn at that age too so be firm (but gentle) with him.

I've had two huskies that tried to get away with peeing in the house after they were fully potty trained. They knew they were being defiant as they would look me right in the eye while doing it. At least I caught it early so the behaviour was quickly ended.

Good luck.
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Umbilical cord training!! This will ensure that you know every move he makes. If he jumps on the couch - you will know about it before the 'accident' even happens. From there - you take him right outside using your 'key word' and then praise when he relieves himself where he is suppose to.
Old October 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

At 4 months he could be teething and a bit out of sorts. Pups will regress then, sometimes.

There is also a period of time when many seem to forget, whatever their age. Our trainer said it is when things they have learned are in transition from short term memory to long term memory and seem to be temporarily unavailable. She said it was usually around five weeks after they learned something. I studied something similar in humans when I was teaching adult education classes.

Whatever the reason for the lapse in behaviour, patience and a return to basics usually helps pups over this period. Though if he is teething some frozen treats and toys to help soothe his gums may help as well.