Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 2nd, 2004, 06:23 AM

help?!

Im a bit stuck at them moment, tazz who is coming up to three has never had any agression problems and neither has kash until recently, we were at training on friday night - doing the usual games, musical sit down/lie down etc (which we won by the way!!!) Anyway just before it came to puppy play i was sitting at the edge with her and another puppy walked past on its lead and kasha lunged for it and growled - i took her straight into the corner on her own and ignored her (which is what the trainer said to do) But i cant understand why she would do this when the week before she was playng with this same puppy? If she does this again how should i behave. I want to do everything posible to stop her developing agression as she will be a big dog when she grow up (im only little) She has done this again since training, however i have only ever experienced this with her whilst she is on a lead, if she see's another dog off her lead she is fine and wants to play??

Claire
Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:36 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm not expert but I heard of Dr. Coren talking about this just the other day.

He seems to be taking the leader of the pack approach, trying to protect you as he does not feel you are his leader.

The way Dr. Coren dealt with it was as soon as you see another dog coming from a distance you give him a command SIT and stay.

Let the dog walk by, don't socialize at this time, keep him in the sit position.

After they walk by you give him a treat while he is still sitting.

Do that a few times over the course of several days. then slowly work to socialization for very short periods of times.

Have someone use their dog who knows how to handle their dog on a leash.

Get them to approach you guys, again make him SIT and stay.

As they approach, have the other person make their dog sit and stay. They will look at eachother etc....

After a few seconds, let slack out on the leads and let them sniff but only for a few seconds then call him back to your side and walk off.

This will show him you are in control and he doesn't have to protect you or take leader position.

If you find he still lunges at first, it means you let them get too close too quickly.

The meetings of the dogs should not last longer then 20 to 30 seconds then you walk off, praising him but not making a BIG deal. Simply, good boy then walk off.

Give it a try hope it helps.
Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't let the dog lunge. If you need to, I'd suggest a gentle leader. Walk her on the opposite side that the other dog is on. Its not a very good picture, but like this:

Once she can do that without pulling, let her walk on the other side. Of course, only walk her on the right side when your meeting other people with their dogs on the side that you'll be having two dogs meeting each other on.
Attached Images

Old April 3rd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope you understand, drawing on the computer with the mouse is no easy task.
Old April 5th, 2004, 03:18 AM

Thank you will let you know how we go on !!