Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Tech talk

Old June 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Half Way To Crazy

FireFox vs Internet Explorer

my question is why does FireFox work better than internet explore??

Why is it so much faster??

does it work any better if it the default browser??

how do you do that after it is installed??

Last edited by breeze; June 5th, 2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I use Firefox and I find it easier and a lot better. Not as many pop ups as IE. IE is subject to a lot of issues because many hackers target microsoft.

I also love the tabs, which IE has now adapted into their system too. You can switch all of your bookmarks to Firefox too. And it has a lot of add-ons. If you use blogs, I use live journal, it has an add on making it easier for you to post websites use italics and bold and things like that. And you can also look for interesting themes. But the add ons are one of the neat things.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I use Firefox and I find it easier and a lot better. Not as many pop ups as IE. IE is subject to a lot of issues because many hackers target microsoft.

I also love the tabs, which IE has now adapted into their system too. You can switch all of your bookmarks to Firefox too. And it has a lot of add-ons. If you use blogs, I use live journal, it has an add on making it easier for you to post websites use italics and bold and things like that. And you can also look for interesting themes. But the add ons are one of the neat things.
i know about most of it.. (don't like the tabs....spent most of the day yesterday playing around with it.. but I did not put it as my default browser...
how do you do that now after I installed it..??
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Swift Tribe

You would normally set a default browser using the the options or preference settings within the web browser. For example,

* Firefox 1.5: " "Tools -> Options -> General -> Default Browser -> Check Now"
* Firefox 2: " Tools -> Options -> Main / System Defaults -> (checkmark) Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup -> Check Now"
* Firefox 3: " Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General / System Defaults -> (checkmark) Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup -> Check Now"
* Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey 1.x: "Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Set Default Browser"
* SeaMonkey 2: "Edit -> Preferences -> Browser / Default Browser -> Set Default Browser"

Make sure that only one browser is set to check if it is the default. If those settings don't work, try setting another browser as the default browser, then reset Firefox, Mozilla Suite or SeaMonkey as the default. Other suggestions are listed below.

(FYI i just googled that... i havent used windows in years. ) EDIT- cause im a cool Mac user.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)

Last edited by want4rain; June 5th, 2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: gloating
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

If you go to tools, then go to Main, at the bottom it will ask you if you want to check to see if Firefox is your default. It it's not then you can switch it then. Or in the past, I've found that when Firefox wasn't my default, whenever I'd open it, it would ask if I wanted to make it my default.

I have to say, at first I hated Firefox. I'd been so used to using IE, but I love it now. And the tabs are really a wonderful thing. You don't have to keep opening a new browser window to search for stuff or compare stuff, or just to be on several sites at once.

I have a tab with my yahoo mail open, my yahoo main page AND right now I am typing this in another tab. All you have to do is go to the tab you want. Leaving several sites open at the same time is one of the interesting things Firefox does.

The downside, some sites won't accept Firefox as a browser so there are some, very few these days, which make you use IE.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting, I have both loaded but almost always use IE7. I just tried FireFox at the same time. I loaded pets.ca, then this thread and saw no difference at all, in fact my IE7 was slightly faster.

I will keep an eye on this thread, curious to see what others find out.

Diane
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to take back what I said in my last post - I just tested two of my other links I use often that seem a bit sluggish on IE7 - they opened much quicker on firefox.

So, I stand in amazement and would love to hear why Firefox is much faster. I may change this to default browser in the near future.

Diane