Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old April 6th, 2010, 07:37 PM

Unhappy Ill cat

My cat, 6 years old, is acting weird. Three days ago she was perfectly fine & out of nowhere she got sluggish. It started with her not moving from the bathroom floor. She was curled up on the towels for 12 hours. I've been by her side now for three days. As I pet her she slowly turns to look at me. When she sits she sways from side to side. She'll fall over if she walks too fast. When she lays down she just stares off into space for hours, no sleep. Today she was laying on the floor staring at me for half an hour. She didn't take her eyes off of me once.. she didn't move even when I'd pet her. She cannot jump onto/off of the couch anymore. I booked her in to see a vet but there is no open spots for 14 days! She has lost a lot of weight. She is nearly skin and bones now because she stopped eating. I think she's having trouble drinking as well. She'll sit by the water bowl, front legs in the water, just staring at it. I've seen her drink though... but she wont move out of the water and when she finally does she doesn't try to dry herself off. Today she was sitting there for over an hour until I wrapped her in a towel and held her. Her poor paws are always wet. She still walks around from time to time, very slowly. She'll use the litter box but wont cover her poop/pee (you know, cover it with the litter like cats always do.) I've noticed a lot of mats around her neck. She doesn't meow anymore... but honestly my biggest concern is that she will not eat!!! She's an indoor cat & I have never seen her act like this before. I am scared and extremely worried. I watch her as the days go by and I can see her getting worse. I'm afraid she's going to die if someone doesn't help A.S.A.P. and I think it's extremely rude that the vet wont even look at her for 14 days. Please, is there anything I can try to do to make her eat. Anything to make her feel better?? I don't know what to do!!

Last edited by xo1love; April 6th, 2010 at 07:40 PM. Reason: had to add something
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Doggie Wench

You're vet won't see her knowing this is an emergency ? Did you explain your cat's condition to him/her? Is there not another vet or emergency vet in the vicinity?
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

A cat that isn't eating is a medical emergency. Does your vet know she hasn't been eating for so long?

LP is right--you need to find another vet or emergency vet who will see your cat right away!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 6th, 2010, 08:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Where do you live in Canada? I am sure if you let us know we can find an emergency vet for you. I have never ever phoned my vet with an emerg and been told to wait for two weeks. This is an emergency. Your kitty may not be around in two weeks without intervention.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:03 PM
-

I agree with the others , you need to take this cat to the emergency animal clinic , this cat can't wait !
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:16 PM

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, sick, sluggish, stopped eating, wont eat