Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old August 29th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Re-Homing a Cockatiel and Budgie....

I have a Cockatiel and Budgie, they live together in the same cage and get along great.

My issue right now is with their happiness, They both seem content. Eating well, singing etc. I like to get them out of their cage at least 1hr a day for play time, but i haven't been able to do this evereveryday lately...

I am currently working on a room upstairs being re-organized for a "play" area for the birds but i've got no definate finish date set for this. The problem is my two dogs who would love to have birdie treats if they could get the chance.... With colder weather becoming something to think about again, i can't rely on the time the dogs are in the yard to play, for the time to dedicate to my birds....

I'm torn because i love them SO much and am trying to get things roganized so i can better their lives...but i don't want them to be without the attention they deserve while i'm doing this....

Do i find htem a new home?

will this cause the cockatiel alot of emotional stress, or is this a risk to take in hopes of finding someone who will be able to give them more time?

I want to have someone who can have them out as much as possible, and to use the cage as a resting/eating area, and not as their main place of living....

I want them to be able to explore and play, and hang out and be more free than a cage can offer.
Old August 29th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

As they are small birds, a cage is really not such an awful place to be. You are working on a new setup for them that will be a lot of fun once completed. I would just work with what you have at the moment and imagine the fun they will have in the future.
Old August 30th, 2005, 10:31 AM

Also know, that your birds have bonded together and love each other. So please don't seperate them it might cause a heartbroken bird. It's better that you keep them. If they have to live a few extra months in their cage because you are making them something bigger and better, don't stress. They'll be happier when all is done.
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM

They definitley wouldn't be split up...

but that bond reason is whats keeping me from finding a new home for them as well, the cockatiel is bonded to me pretty strongly and i dont want tobreak HER heart either...
Old August 30th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Then please don't,birds are very sensitive and want to stay with you,in the home they know and love..I've seen a few unhappy,stressed birds and it is heartbreaking.
Old September 5th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

These birds are going to live a long time - a few more months in the cage isn't that bad. They have each other and thats what counts the most.
We have lots of birds and we take them out every day - some days more than others. Certain dogs cannot be out a the same time so we crate them for bird time. In fact the birds get all excited when I call those dogs to be crated, because they know it's time to come out.
So long as they are happy don't put too much guilt on yourself. Things will get better.
We do some bird rescue and the conditions birds can end up in are beyond horrible. You are doing a good job and you care - thats huge. Keep it up. Life is rarely perfect so be happy with how well you are doing with what you have.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old November 9th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Long Term Member

HI,
Keep your birds. Let them stay in their cages for a while longer, it will be fine.
I have 2 cockatiels... and I work at a shelter. I've seen birds who get so sad when they get split from their owners. IF at aLL possible... please keep them.
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:11 PM

So, a little update!

My birds are still with me... I've been buying them lots of new toys to try out every week so they have some xtra stimulation until i get their cage. I found the one i'm going to get.... It's a small aviary type cage about 5'X4'X4'

So after christmas i'm going to save up and get it set up. It shouldn't take that long, so all i have to do is sort out where i'm gonna put this huge thing!

My boyfriend and I are trying to teach the dogs that the birds being out is normal, and not a time for excitement and eating! I'm not going to be able to trust either to be unleashed of un-caged while they are out but it will definitley be better if they are less excited over them!

I'm discovering i live in a house of paradoxical animals.... My budgie often imitates barking, my cat doesn't fuss over the birds at all, in fact i think he is fond of the cockatiel. My biggest dog is the biggest scaredy cat, and my puppy thinks she is a people.
Old December 20th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

unknown,I am glad to hear you decided to keep them.
A friend of mine has a cockatiel and a green parrot+5 cats,the birds are never in their cages.He has things hanging all over the ceiling for the birds,never goes to any store without buying something for the birds.
They love each other and it's wonderful to watch them.
4 of the cats could not be bothered,but a young Siamese is still hoping the birds will come down on the floor.
When nobody is home,the birds are gaged..Here is a pick of the 2 birds..
Attached Images

Old December 21st, 2005, 07:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico2 Please tell me you mean Cage......not gaged
Old December 22nd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

oh,oh forgot spellcheck.. had to check in the dictionary what "gaged"means
Old February 2nd, 2006, 12:22 AM

teehee, I have been putting the dogs in their pen for an hour and letting the birds out, and today it was SO CUTE.

I have the pen covered so the birds don't get in.... but Birry the Cockatiel was sitting with my sister, and the dog's pen was in the living room with us, and she jumped onto the chair right beside the pen and walked right up to the side of it and stood there.... I gave her a peice of toilet paper to play with (her favorite) and she sat there in front of the dogs playing away.... kind of like "NA NA NA, look at meeee"
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:45 AM

Aww, love the pics. Your friends cockatiel looks much like my female (well was origianlly bought as a baby as a male) untill we find the eggs in the cage ....dead giveaway. Her name was alreadt Buddy....so it stayed then(but changed spelling to Buddie) lol. Here is her pic. We also have a rescue cockatiel male.....he doesnt look as good as I would like, but it will take time from his mistreatment days.
Here is my girl.
Attached Images

Old April 4th, 2006, 02:47 AM

And our rescued male.............
Attached Images

Old November 10th, 2007, 10:38 AM

Sounds to me like your birds are getting lots of love unknown I have a budgie and 2 cats Asia wouldn't touch a feather Rocco does the teeth chatter if the Boo-boo bird is out wouldn't trust him with a ten foot pole I am lucky because I have french doors seperating the dining livingroom and Boo-s cage is in the livingroom He has freedom and has his perch in the window where he spends time talking to the wild birds. I love love love my bird nothing better then getting my wolf whistle every morning lol