Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Min Pin help please ( no idea what to do)

For reasons I do not feel like getting into here, I now have a 10 month old Min Pin living with us, who needs to learn EVERYTHING.
I mean it, he knows nothing. I don't think he has ever had to go outside to pee, I don't know why but he seems to not even know what to do with a water dish or food bowl, his name is non existent to him but he has a will to learn.
I Have had him for a day now, and so far I have been doing some contact work with him as he really takes to the clicker.
I have him sorta understanding what sit means, he lays down fine with a treat bribe ( as even his kibbles are the most amazing treats in the world to him)
I don't have many questions about basic obedience training but as for teaching him to pee outside I am at a loss.
Its not at all like a puppy house training situation, he fears the outside and when you go to put a leash on him he pee's.
If you bring him outside, he will do NOTHING until he is back in the house, immediately he pee's.
I am yet to see him drink anything too, this sort of worries me as his urine is STRONG which is understandable if he is not drinking.
He will be going for a vet check next friday and a neuter appointment will be made shortly thereafter.
I really want to work with him to make him acceptable in a home environment before finding a home for him.
Any tips anyone?
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I would think - not being a dog person, you understand - that the main thing right now is to interact with him as much as you can, even if it is just cuddling, so that he learns to trust you. Once he trusts you, everything else will be possible.
I can't imagine what kind of situation he came from, not asking for any details, just thanks for getting him out of there.
Have you tried tethering him inside (and maybe outside, so you can forego the leash for now)?
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Once he is on the leash, he's a perfect little gentleman, but he just wont pee, and the process of crouching down to put the leash on him makes him pee.
He is displaying some serious and I mean SERIOUS seperation anxiety right now, weird how he bonded so fast after a day.
I don't want to over do things with him or rush him in any way, its a whole new life he is experiencing right now and you can tell it just rocked his universe to be in a home environment with other dogs. He walked in here and first off picked a fight with Kita.
I guess he heard the way to make an impression from a prisioner or something, make you're point clear and go after the biggest guy around???
Thankfully Kita is a gentle giant and has since forgiven him of his attempted dominance over her ( she gently but firmly proved to him that he was NOT ever going to be alpha over her)

Its so weird, I have experience with "problem" dogs to an extent but this is a whole new little ball of wax
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:50 PM

I'm not an expert, but experience has taught me that nothing gives a dog more confidence than a solid routine, firm boundaries, rules and regulations. You have to set a tight routine where he is brought out 3 times a day for walks and exercise. One of the outings should include a good hour long run around, preferably with other dogs for socialization purposes. Use a long line if you can't let him off leash. He will eventually get used to this routine and the peeing will come naturally. If you just stand there trying to encourage him to go, nothing will happen. Get walking. The different trees and scents of the neighbourhood will tempt him enough. As far as peeing when you put the leash on - do you have a fenced yard? Bring him in the yard off leash then put the leash on out there. Or pick him up, put on the leash as you are walking out the door. Always try to be a step ahead of the unwanted behaviour by constantly looking for ways to adapt.

Once he gets used to peeing outside start teaching him to sit before you go out the door and once you've come back inside. Make him sit while you get his dinner. Teach him how to use his brain. Hide a cookie inside a Kong. His toy under a blanket. etc.

Min Pins are generally pushy and think they rule the world. I find they aren't too fond of water either. Check the flooring around his bowls. My dog wasn't drinking much either until I realized that he really didn't like the placemat under his bowl. It stuck out where he had to step and didn't like it. I removed it and he is fine now, though still not a big drinker. He also didn't like hard floors at first and preferred carpets, but after a month or two he adapted. He was 9 when I got him and didn't even know 'sit' nor had he ever been on a leash or walked.

Give it lots of time. 8 to 12 weeks at least. Do not expect amazing results in 2 weeks. The breed is quite stubborn but if you are firm he will surrender and learn to enjoy his new life with you. Do not give up!!
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:28 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

When you go to leash him try getting down to his level by getting on the floor and see if that works to get him leashed and slowly start where you can do it standing up,or carry him outside and leash him outside this way he's not peeing in the house.if you do carry him,carry him upside down.

If anyone can get this pup on the right track it's you.
Good luck.
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Thanks for the advice!
RBear, I do not have a fenced yard, so long leads are what I use with him right now ( its only been a day) I am trying to figure out a good solid routine that will not change from work days to weekends. I know he needs structure badly.

As for picking him up, thats worse for the peeing. As soon as you "hover" over him, he just lets it go, he doesn't always cower when you go to him, but sometimes just standst there and lets the flow go. I don't want to jump to conclusions that it is behavioural 100% just yet, this week I want him to settle in and see its not a bad place here, then friday we can rule out health reasons for his lack of bladder control.
I left his harness on this afternoon so its a faster exit ( not fiddling with too many things) didn't help yet, but its only been a few hours since this brain storm.

Angel dogs, I like the upside down idea, but right now fear the Min Pin jet stream that comes out ( wouldn't that just top it off)
Perhaps if I can get him a bit more comfortable with handling and stuff, I may try it.
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:50 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

If it is a fear behaviour getting down to his level with handling will help.
That what we do for fear and earning trust.and thats what i did with our foster Ginger and she has come around really good.
Old February 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM

The good news for this pup is that you seem 100% committed to help him. He is a lucky dog. With all you are doing for him - the medical care, training, patience, and love - he will eventually settle in, learn to trust you, and build the confidence he needs to be a secure happy dog. It sounds to me like you're off to a pretty good start! I hope you keep us all posted on how he's doing on a weekly basis.
Old February 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM

How is the little guy doing? Any improvements or changes at all?
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

He seems to be getting it now.
Its been a few days since he has had any "accidents" and he now will go out with the other dogs on his own free will.
I stopped tethering him, he is glued to Kita who never leaves the yard, and he really doesn't like the snow so he just does his thing and runs back in.

Have some good news, through the friend chain there is someone who is extemely interested in him and is coming out to see him this week.
Will be holding sort of an interview and they are willing to pay me back for his neuter ( next friday)
His check up went well this week, he is healthy as could be and blood work is all with in normal range.
I'm happy he might have a home as of next week ( but we will prolly keep him here until he heals from his surgery just so he isn't dealing with too much at once, healing and moving)
All he needed really was to understand the "rules' of the household!
Old March 1st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

That is all great news.i can just see him being glued to Kita.
Hopefully the people interested in him are the right family for him.
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

They seem great so far, but I really want to meet them and see how they "work" with him here. Since he is great with basic commands from either me or Guy right now ( ie, sit, down, stand, wait) I want to see how they will get him to do it and how he responds to it with them.
I also want to go to their home to see how their set up is. I'm not going to be anal on fenced yards, that really bothers me actually, but just to see what sort of yard is offered for him.
They apparently want to do agility with him too, which I think will be marvellous for this little guy. If I really like them I will talk with Karmas trainer and see if I can maybe pay a portion of the classes through his "adoption" fee to really entice them to follow through with it.
Old March 1st, 2009, 07:30 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan.
I'm not big on the fence thing either,but if people are living on a high traffic area i think it is a wise thing.
Let us know how it goes.
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

good luck to you!!! i have 5 yes 5 rescued min pins, they are a handfull, so many pincers are not understood----, people just-- do not do there homework!!!! high engery dog, hates the rain and snow-- and some , take forever to potty train!! i have a little one that peed all over her self for 6 months because 2 little boys use to hit her with a baseball bat if you need any help at all i would be glad to give you some help, i have pincers for over 10 yrs, brenda and the pins..
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor

ps. pincers need a secure fench , love to wonder too
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It sounds like you're doing a marvelous job with him, erykah!

And he might already have a forever home! What a lucky little guy to have found you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM

Congrats on being so dedicated to helping this little dude. I hope he has a real happy life!!
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

He is a youngster and SO much potential.
He's a handsome guy too, perhaps if I didn't have 4 dogs already and an out of town job I would have kept him, but its just not possible at this time.
He's a smart little guy though and once he trusts someone he wants nothing more than to please.
I just hope this is indeed going to be his big break at having a loving forever home. With out having to be the source of many other unwanted Pins.
Friday the "man bits" leave for good *does happy dance*
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Are going to have them return him to you if it doesn't work at their home so another can be found?.

.That this is his forever home.