Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 8th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Titan goes to a new home

Well I have some bad news, but good all the same. Titan has some issues with children. He almost bit my son again, hubbie got hold of him before he could. Seems my dear boy doesnt like children. He will be leaving our home, but the good news is he will still be in the family. My brother who is single and mad about Titan will be taking him to live on his acreage. I believe this will be best for all concerned. I will miss having him here but knowing that all will be safe makes me feel better. I am not sure who said it before but a child must have hurt him in the past. I am very sorry that I could not keep him as I love him to pieces, but I also have my son to think about. I know that he will be happy at his new home and spoiled rotton if I know my brother. I feel horrible that I have let him down, brings tears to my eyes even though I know he will be in a good home. Never easy saying good-bye.
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Just curious, your brother doesn't have children now but what if he does in the future.

Also if he's living on a lot of land Titan will be free to run I'm assuming. Is this area contained with fencing or no?

What about visiting children?

Has the dog behaved this way only to your son or to other kids as well?

Not to jump on you for your decision, something told you it was the best you could do at the time. However, w/o being properly evaluated to see if this dog has aggression issues in general towards people/kids you've put a possible time bomb in someone elses hands.

What if he bites another child simply riding a bike in the area or walking down the road? Your child is safe but what about everyone elses?
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I just wanted to add a little something ....sorry didn't think of it while typing the other post:

Quote:
Today our newly adopted dog(Titan) we have had about 2 weeks has biten our 6 year old son
You've had him a short period of time, just adopted him.
Where did you get him from? A shelter/rescue/owner surrender?
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM

My brothers yard is fenced 3 acres. He is unable to have children. I have not let a time bomb go as my brothers fondness of children does not exsist. I now that this may seem harsh but I have a very angry husband who would rather lock the dog outside than have him be part of the family. I hope that somewhere deep down you can understand that i have to balance my family. Not fair to the dog but I know that he will be happy. I love that dog and cry now as I write this I have never had to get rid of any of my animals before and would not this time if it were not for the animosty thet rises between my husband and myself. I did not want to do this but the choice I made is one that I know eventually can live with. He will not be put in harms ways, not put put to sleep and that is all that matters. I know not everyone agrees with me and thats ok but I have to live with this and its not easy. I love Titan plain and simple if i did not then I would have just surrendered him and not cared what happened. But I do care.Sorry if not everyone agrees and I never expected anyone to fully understand but this decesion has broke my heart.
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

My point was to try and figure out if Titan is an aggressive dangerous dog.

I'm not chastising your decision to protect your son. Esp if hubby is ready to do something drastic.

Where did you get him from?

Glad the area is fenced, he will be an indoor/outdoor dog right?

IMHO if this dog is evaluated and shows signs of aggression towards humans he should be pts. And as sad as that may be and as horrible as it may sound, it would be the best. HOWEVER he hasn't been evaluated right?
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

IF your brother can keep the dog contained, make sure he doesn't have access to kids and will give him a good life - love, attention and training - then this is probably the best solution.

Is the fenced area behind the house? I mean, will the dog be able to get close to the road where kids might pass?
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:46 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'd like to see a behaviouralist a good one spend some time with him as well.

Be interesting to know his history, where he came from and was he an owner surrender/stray dog?

Though some may not like having kids around, sometimes you're bound to have a child come to your house for one reason or another. He is your childs uncle right so you may even visit.

Sigh these things are never easy but we're here to all think together and come up with ideas and situations that can work IF they can!
Old August 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Mom of Rotties, I think you have most likely thought this through and found the best solution for you and your family and Titan. As he is going to your brother, I'm sure he's aware of any inherent danger and will take this into consideration with any interactions Titan may have. Titan is getting a second chance at a new home and life. I hope that this chance will work out for him and that your brother will consider consulting a positive trainer to perhaps work through some of his social difficulties.
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I'm sorry if I sound like a you know what but I hate myself for having to give Titan to my brother. We rescued him from a farm where is was under fed and left in a dog run his entire life. No training no manners.We thought that we could save him and become his family forever.My brother will continue with obedience classes as well as seeking help with his behavoir. I rarely visit my brother as his tolerance for children is low. He lives in a town of about 20. His closet neighbor is 5 miles away.Titan showed no aggresion with any adult or animal just my son. There was children at his previous home so something may have happened. I know they would not tell the truth so no point in asking. They told us he was trained alas he was not.
Old August 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes people they do lie....

always!!

Glad your brother will keep up with training and behaviour!! Thats great!
Old August 8th, 2005, 12:35 PM
owned by Tucker

Be thankful that he has somewhere to go that you know he will be safe. You are doing the right thing, your family safety comes first, my husband would react the same way and would probably have the dog pts, he wouldn't be patient trying to find out the cause and the solution can be a long way comming if ever. Some dogs are just not good with children and with this dog it could have been teased or beaten by the kids in its past life, who knows. My grandfather had a GSD that had been beaten by its previous owners,he hated children, in its 16 years(he lived a long life) he had biten once, my cousin. We all knew what he was like and precautions were taken, we were never to touch him, he was never left alone with him and so on. Well all but me he loved me, but I was always cautious of what I did around him, but he would lay beside me on the floor and dare anyone to touch me, I guess we had a mutual respect for each other. Maybe your brother will be his saviour. Lets hope, some dogs have baggage that they carry with them and someone special comes along and brings out the best in them.
Old August 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Talked to my brother today and Titan had a wonderful night.He seems to have made himself right at home. My brother has found a behaviorist for Titan and continues with obedience training. I sure miss him but will go to see him on the weekend.
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats great news maybe would be helpful for you to speak directly to the behaviouralist yourself to give them specifics of what happened.

I'm glad he likes his new place
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:24 PM

When he goes I plan on attending so I can help in any way. My brother is spoiling him rotten, spent 150.00 on toys.
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Wow looks like your brother has fallen in love