Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old May 26th, 2005, 02:44 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

hmmmmm............ ok, I don't think I've seen it. It sounded familiar though!

oh and thanks for filling me in!
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Kitty Consort

oops, sorry, Blaze 01 has already given you the story, Copper's Mom.

"Terms of Endearment", with Shirly MacLaine and Debra Winger. This is an old film, but was really considered a two-hankie tear-jerker.
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:57 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

2 that come to mind are both set in WW2

Life is beautiful - 1998
Sophie's choice - 1982

Both movies are excellent and sad.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:30 PM
Crusader

Okay here's 2 that i can think of for the moment!

Title: My Life As A Dog (Mitt liv som hund)
Year: 1985
Country of Origin: Sweden
Read Review's on Amazon's Website here

In 1950s Sweden a 12 year old boy Ingemar (Anton Glanzelius) is sent to live with relatives. His father is away and his mother is slowly dying of some unnamed disease (I think it's tuberculosis) and can't handle him (he's VERY mischievous and always getting in trouble). With his relatives he grows up and learns how to deal with life, love, feelings of abandonment, sex etc etc.

Title: Pelle the Conqueror
Year: 1988
Country of Origin: Denmark
Read Reviews on Amazon's website here
The end of the 19th century. A boat filled with Swedish emigrants comes to the Danish island of Bornholm. Among them are Lasse and his son Pelle who move to Denmark to find work. They find employment at a large farm, but are treated as the lowest form of life. Pelle starts to speak Danish but is still harassed as a foreigner. But none of them wants to give up their dream of finding a better life than the life they left in Sweden.
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:36 AM
banned user

Marko: I almost forgot about Sophie's Choice. Yup both movies are heart-wrenching.

I revisited another one last night, a cartoon on top of all, but this is not your typical Disney cartoon. Grave of the Fireflies revealed the indifference of Japanese people towards the end of WWII, even though Japan was the aggressor, but ordinary people had overcome so many hardships. The story involved a couple of orphans, an older brother Seita and his much younger sister Setsuko, set in WWII when then entire city of Tokyo was destroyed by fire bombs. I wouldn't call it *anti-war* movie because it's much more than that, and the director was heavily influenced by Yasujiro Ozu's use of "pillow shots" (Tokyo Story), and some very creative imageries.
Old June 1st, 2005, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I found Saving Private Ryan to be quite sad....especially since there were 2 old men sitting in front of me at the movie theater, undoubtably vets themselves. They held each other and cried during the whole film!! Poor old souls!! I cried the whole movie, and felt like having a big group hug at the end!!! :sad:
Old June 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Platoon was probably one of the saddest movies - a feeling of hopelessness and defeat as you're leaving the theatre.

Disney's The Fox and the Hound, when the little Fox gets left in the forest and he's shown retreating in the rear view mirror. That's a guaranteed tear jerking scene!!!

And of course, mentioned earlier, Ole Yeller!! That should be on everyone's list.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old June 4th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

o.k. I thought of a few more, I didn't check if anyone mentioned "Old Yeller", "Charlotte's Web", "Kramer vs. Kramer"(pretty old one)

and..OOh I almost forgot--"Pay it Forward" with Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt!!!! What a sob-fest THAT was!!!
Old June 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
I found Saving Private Ryan to be quite sad....especially since there were 2 old men sitting in front of me at the movie theater, undoubtably vets themselves. They held each other and cried during the whole film!! Poor old souls!!
THAT would have

done

me

in.
Old June 5th, 2005, 03:32 AM

Ooh so many...

Stepmom

With Susan Sarandan (sp) and Julia Roberts. Susan plays Jackie, a divorced mother of two. Julia plays Isabel, the new stepmom of her two children. Jackie doesn't accept Isabel into the family, and Jackie's daughter treats Isabel like dirt. Then, Jackie is diagnosed with terminal cancer. As her barriers fall down, she shares tender moments with Isabel. There is one bit that gets me every time - when Isabel says she doesn't know how she is going to cope when Anna, the daughter, says on her wedding day "I wish my mom was here." There's also the bit on Christmas day where Jackie calls her children into her room and gives them presents and tells them she will love them forever. Now here comes the REAL tear jerker - they are having a family photo and Isabel is standing out, when Jackie tells her to sit next to her - proof she has finally been accepted. There's the song 'Ain't No Mountain Higher' playing - enough to get the coldest of hearts broken!!

Beaches

How can nobody cry at this?
Following the story of two women who met on a beach as children and how their lives go in different directions. And then one woman is diagnosed with a heart condition, which she eventually dies from. She leaves her young daughter to Bette Davis's character, and the song 'Wind Beneath My Wings' just keeps the tears coming.
Old June 7th, 2005, 04:22 AM

oh so many too!! beginning from Bambi and Lassie, ET, Ghost, Life is beautiful, Captain Corellis mandolin, The Notebook, The Green Mile, Patch Adams, Gorillas in the mist... just to name a few special ones that have left a little imprint upon my heart.
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:38 AM

I cry over just about every movie but the movie that this thread made me think of was Ladder 49. I cried ridiculously (like sobbing...lol) for at least a good 15 minutes after it was over!! Armageddon (sp?) is another huge tear jerker for me.
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

The end of the Fast and the Furious when he rolls the Dodge Charger several times. That was a beautiful car! (what?)

Oh, the end of All Dogs go to Heaven...but if you tell my date, I'll deny everything (just like I did then!)
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:17 PM
banned user

Has anyone seen Amistad? Towards the end, when they are in the courtroom, and they start chanting "FREE",......
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
The end of the Fast and the Furious when he rolls the Dodge Charger several times. That was a beautiful car! (what?)

Oh, the end of All Dogs go to Heaven...but if you tell my date, I'll deny everything (just like I did then!)
haha okay if you can so can i...

The Arrow.. what a sad movie about an important part of our
Canadian History..
you know when the plane first lift's off... ohh what a touching moment.
Attached Images

Old June 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I'm the biggest sap. I cry at the drop of a hat, doesn't matter if it's a sad movie or a happy movie.

If I even hear the music from Cinema Paradiso I'll get a tear in my eye!
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:54 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniac
If I even hear the music from Cinema Paradiso I'll get a tear in my eye!
Same here! Unfortunately I watched the director's cut version FIRST, it has a completely different ending and it just kept dragging and dragging. But I must agree that it is a wonderful movie. I think all movie lovers must have loved Cinema Paradiso.
Old June 8th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymph
Same here! Unfortunately I watched the director's cut version FIRST, it has a completely different ending and it just kept dragging and dragging. But I must agree that it is a wonderful movie. I think all movie lovers must have loved Cinema Paradiso.
How does that one end? All the ones I've seen end the same way. I originally saw it at the Toronto Film Festival.

CP has to be one of my favourite movies. I watch it everytime it comes on TV, I really should just buy the DVD.
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
Geez! I can't remember what the movie was called, that I last watched and bawled my eyes out. It was only two or three months ago and I can't even remember what it was about! I think it had Jennifer Lopez in it. Anyone have an idea? It was on satellite, a fairly new release (i think within the last year, maybe 2?)
Bet it was Jersey Girl. I just watched it (finished about an hour ago), and seriously, I don't cry at movies, but I was practically bawling! :sad: Who knew, Ben can act!

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:28 PM

Sob story.. knew it was coming titanic and old yellar

Ok the titanic! I knew what was going to happen and yet i sat with my fingers crossed that it may turn totally into fiction and everyone would be saved....... I bawled forever and then took the tape out and threw it across the room.

Looking back..... OLD YELLAR !!!!!!!! As a child, I was carried out of the theatre in my dads arms screaming with tears running down my face... and didn't sleep that night at all, my parents sat with me all night telling me he was ok....... I still can't watch that movie.:sad:
Old December 18th, 2005, 11:51 PM

There are so many I cry over lol..but I will have to agree with others..the biggest tear jerker was "the notebook"...i cry during the enitre ending of that movie and for a while afterward lol..my boyfriend doesn't want me to watch it anymore ....but sometimes...a good cry is needed. I work with people in the end stages of dementia/alzhimers (can't spell) and it brings so many emotions and thoughts. I also really cried on "the green mile" and the movie "my dog skip"...there are so many more...even commercials get me going lol
Old December 19th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Devoted Dog Member

The WORST tear jerker movie that I have seen was the Passion of Christ. I think I cried for an entire two hours - for those of you that aren't religious, never mind that it has to do with the crucifixion of christ, but the fact that ANY human being can do that to another is truly horrible. The movie didn't hold back, thats for sure...
Old January 24th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Hunter & Bogart's daddy

The ONLY movie that has ever made me cry was "A Walk to Remember" starring Mandy Moore and some guy . I was holding back the tears the 2nd and 3rd time I saw it too.

If you haven't seen it yet...I recommend you do...
Old January 24th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Life is Beautiful...
Steel Magnolias
Mask (with Cher)
Bambi...or any Walt Disneys that kill off the mother in the first 2 minutes
Sophie Choice
Shindlers List
Old January 24th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

My Life had me crying from beginning to end.

Life As A House also had me crying from beginning to end.

I just realized, movies about people dying from Cancer usually get me. I think it's because I've seen so many family members pass away from it and I guess it brings up old hard feelings. :sad:
Old January 24th, 2006, 11:19 PM

Life as a house was pretty bad (not bad as in horrible, but awfully sad). I LOVE the house they build too. It's really beautiful. And the end? Aw.
Old January 25th, 2006, 12:26 AM

The Yearling

Bambi

Dumbo

My Life (buckets and buckets)

My Friend Flicka

Step mom

Steel Magnolias

The list goes on and on.

Spelling is an option
Old January 25th, 2006, 10:19 AM

While reading this thread I was thinking LaBomba "Ritchiiiiiie...."

My Girl

Romeo and Juliet, even though I know the end it, always gets me when she opens her eyes and he just took the poison, darn you irony.

The Basketball Diaries

Requiem For A Dream

What Dreams May Come

Untamed Hearts

Jerry Maguire, when Jerry tells Dorothy, "You complete me."

I agree with Bambi, Beaches, Titanic.
There are probably a lot more, I just can't think of right now.