Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM

Looking for a reputable doggy sitter

Well, I have booked a vacation to Las Vegas!!!!! I would love to feel very excited about it, but I am sooooo worried about Buster that I am having a hard time getting overly happy.

So....how does one go about finding a good dog sitter??? I have been given the name of a company in Ottawa that matches up your doggie with a family and the dog goes to that persons home. (I don't think I am allowed to post the website???) They have a very good questionnaire which covers pretty much everything one would need to know about the dog, including where does he sleep at night.....duh....on my bed of course

I will be gone for 9 days so that is too long to leave Buster with my Dad (age 84). I don't really know a lot of dog-friendly people around my place....

Any ideas?? Would you trust a company that matches up your dog with a doggy care provider??

EDIT: WOOHOO.....I just reached the 1,000 post!!!!!!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
-

WOW, nine days in Vegas ......that will give you lots of time to hit the jackpot.

Does the company let you contact people that have used their services so you can get their opinions? Or try googling the company for user reviews.

And ....

Congratulations on 1,000 posts.
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM

Actually, once they have found a family....we have a meeting at the family's place to see how I feel about the place and of course, how Buster likes the family. I asked if I could have more than one visit and they said it was up to the care giver, but if they don't mind, then no problem. Obviously if I asked for a second visit and they said No, I wouldn't leave Buster.

The company is registered with the Better Business Bureau of Canada....Buster's agility coach leaves both her dogs there and has no complaints. The company also gives a portion of the $$$ they make to the Humane Society.

I need to bring a letter from Buster's Vet to say he is UTD with shots and isn't on any meds or anything like that. It all seems good....but I know I will worry.....:sad:

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:31 PM
-

Of course you are going to worry .....you wouldn't be a good mommy if you didn't.

From what you have just said, it sounds like a good company. And since Buster's agility coach has never had a problem then that should help to ease your mind.
Old March 7th, 2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks Rainbow......

I just checked them out on the BBB and they are an Accredited Business with an A rating.....not sure how reliable that is, but it makes me feel better. LOL

They aren't cheap but that's ok....as long as my Buster is happy! (it only means less $$$ to spend on the slot machines )

Old March 7th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Too bad you are not closer to me. I could sneak him in here.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I suggest you speak with your vet to ask if she/he has heard of this company - and for any feedback. If you have a Groomer - ask her to. Although I am in Toronto there is a company that provides services exactly as you describe, so could be same company - and I have heard good and bad things - guess it depends which home your dog is placed in. Too bad you aren't in Toronto because we have a WONDERFUL home boarder where our little devil stays - he considers it his second home - and the only place I have ever boarded a dog. But just double check to be sure. I worry anyway when we are away but not about the care our guy will be given - just the normal worries that one has with one's pet.