Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Unhappy Cat has SEVERE itching on face & ears...HELP!

Hello,
I have a 2 yr old calico, Roxxi, and have exhausted all of my resources trying to help her . . . thought I'd give you guys a try!

I've taken her to the vet a million times, she's been checked for ear mites (it truly looks like a classic sympton, but no ear mites to be found). We've put her on hypoallergenic food, we've done Frontline, we've tried natural ways with fish oil, flea bath, etc. She itches herself soo bad her "eyebrows", ears, etc bleed, become swollen and she is desperately uncomfortable. The only thing that has been keeping her happier is she has been receiving cortizone shots once a month for the past 4 months or so. Around that third week or so, it wears off and she goes at it again! Now my problem is that the shots are working as well anymore. We had put a cone on her recently, however I woke up one morning and she had worked herself out of it and there was blood splatter everywhere . . .it's just killing me watching her like this. The vet suggested doing the whole blood work, skin test, allergy test, etc, but I just am not able to do that financially (we have 2 other cats that by the way, are just fine) Plus, he said it may not really help her scratching in the long run.

I am at a loss. A friend of mine came over the other day and noticed she had worms - which we have now treated. Anyway, she's had cats that are allergic to fleas and thinks this might be an answer. Again, the vet has checked previously for fleas, etc (which I've read is pretty easy to diagnose) and it didn't seem to be it.

It's almost come to the point of her absolute suffering and I just don't want to see her suffer anymore.

Sooo . . . any suggestions would be so GREATLY appreciated!!

Connie