Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM

Question Dogs swollen ear

Hi, my name is Vessy, and I have a wonderful 8yr old dachshund, mixed with pug and chuhuahua(probably spelled wrong). Last week I noticed her left ear had some browny kind of stuff in it(she's on regular mite medicine-revolution)this week her inner ear is very clean but her outer ear is swollen and seems filled with some liquid. A friend suggested wiping her ear out with camomille tea. As anyone ever had this happen with their dog/cat??? If it does not clear within a day/two I will take her in to see a vet. Vessy
Old September 6th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Sammi

If the outer ear flap, (the Pinna) is fill with fluid, it sounds like it might be a aural hematoma. There is normally an underlying ear infection, which causes the dog to shake its head, resulting to trauma to the Pinna and filling with blood. This is something that has to be seen by a veterinarian for surgery.

The ear would be drained under anesthetic and "buttons" are normally placed to allow for continued drainage. The underlying ear infection has to be treated, to prevent this from possibly happening again.

Good luck
Old September 7th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Take her to the vet now. Why wait two weeks to see if it clears up. Obviously it's not clearing up, its spreading. Poor pup.
Old September 7th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

i would not reccomen cammomile tea, i would not use anything that is not recomended by a vet for such a serious problem. go to the vet about the swelling and while there have a chat about the ear mite drops you can get, they are inexpensive and very effective and safe.