Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 24th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Half Way To Crazy

faux fur is real dog hair

I could not belive what I was reading. unbelievable !!!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/02/...fur/index.html
Old February 24th, 2007, 04:56 PM
-

The Burlington coat factory used to sell these kind of coats years ago. I saw a story about it on Dateline nbc.
Old February 24th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

We discussed this a while back,dogs/cats are killed by the millions every year in China kept in horrible conditions,often skinned alive to supply"faux-fur".
We had a horrific video(which I did not watch)showing the incredible cruelty in China,I cant find it now though
Many western countries have banned faux-fur or any fur from China,even some states in the US.

However Canada will not,saying it would damage our own fur-trade,mainly sealfur,which to a large extent goes to China and Russia.:sad:

Last edited by chico2; February 24th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:00 PM

Aweful! I won't even buy/wear fake fur. IMO wearing fake fur is just promoting the idea that fur looks good and is trendy. Poor animals. If I want to wear fur I will just wear a black shirt and pet my dog for a while.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt_danish View Post
If I want to wear fur I will just wear a black shirt and pet my dog for a while.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Contributor

What I can't understand is how a retailer would not realized that the fur is not faux fur, there is an altogther different texture in real fur compared to the acyrlic hair, from a distance they may look the same but not close up as you seperate the hair plus the feel is different Even in wigs the difference between faux hairl and real is very noticable
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

O-G,since the world was made aware of the fur-business in China a year or so ago,I cannot help but check furlined jackets etc..in stores.
For the average person,it would be difficult to tell,dogfur is at times rough and could easily pass for faux-fur,unless you check really close.
Fur lined gloves,furhats and full lining in jackets have been proven to be catfur,very similar to rabbits,which catfur is described as.
Not that wearing rabbitfur is any better,but is more widely accepted,by some.
Then there are those very lifelike cat-ornaments,found in many variety and giftstores:sad:
I questioned one Asian lady,having a booth at the large market in Hamilton,selling only these "cute"cats in all shapes and sizes.
She said they are made of rabbitfur!!
How often do we see orange tabby rabbits,brown tabbies,calico rabbits,Siamese blue-point rabbits....
There is plenty of animal-cruelty all around the world,but China takes first pricewheter it be cats,dogs,bears,monkeys,sharks,dolphins etc,etc....
Here is an example of the cat-ornaments I am talking about,my son bought them for me,not knowing what they were made of,they are now buried in my backyard...
Attached Images

Old February 25th, 2007, 09:04 AM

The Hallmark here has those. They're obviously made of real cat fur . . . sickening.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Why wear fur anyway, they make you look big/ fat Seriously though, unless it's fur from an animal we've already bred for food (sheep, rabbits, goats) I'd rather not wear fur at all. However, no one worries about leather coats/ gloves/ shoes/ wallets ... because there's no fur on them and they don't remind us of a cute animal?

I have a pair of fur boots - cowskin boots with the hair left on. They look really good, and I would think that skin came off of a cow that was slaughtered for her meat anyway, so I don't feel bad about wearing them. I do wonder about my kid gloves though, was that kid killed for the skin or for food too? My moose-skin mittens I know, the skin is off a moose hunted and killed for meat within a strict quota (Norway), no animal is lying skinned in the forest with its flesh rotting or scavenged in order for me to wear warm mittens!

I agree Chico2, those little "rabbitfur" cats are super cute, but not really rabit colored! I never buy them, I have a live cat instead, and she gets fed, does lots of "betises" and purrs like crazy. Much better than these poor little dead creatures.
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM

I always figured leather came from cows being killed for meat, too . . . I don't mind so much if the animal's being consumed anyway. But killing an animal just for its fur is wrong, IMO. Unless someone NEEDS to, like they live out in the middle of nowhere and are killing wild animals to clothe their children, etc. But for most people these days it's just a fashion statement.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I suppose I am a hypocrite,I would never in a million years wear a fox,wolf or any coat made from dead wild animals,but a few years back,I bought a shearling knee-lenght coat,the warmest wintercoat anyone can have.
I also love soft leather and suede:sad:
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Chico, rabbit isn't any better because a few months ago there was a similar story to this saying rabbit fur from china was really cat fur. So your instincts are right. It's so sad to think these little toy cats might actually be real cats- can you imagine? Just sickening really.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM

I heard about the dog/cat fur thing a little while ago, makes me sick. Pdiddy's fake fur clothing line came from china from what I heard and he didn't know it was dog fur, he stopped production. I don't know what esle when't on.

OMG my varitey store around the corner sells those cat ornaments, I never really paid attention and don't go there often, I feel sick now and will never go there again.

I won't wear fur of any kind fake or not. With all the new and improved synthetics why kill an animal just for it's furr.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Dustybird,next time you go to this store,tell them,you think it's disgusting they are selling fur-ornament,made from tortured cats.
I did with a flowershop in my local mall,where they had the bigger ornaments for sale,almost lifesized cats.
The owner actually reacted in a good way and said she would investigate the origin and sure enough,a few weeks later those cats were no more on display.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM

chico, good idea and good for you; I will see what I can do. I have a feeling they won't respond very well though.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I suppose I am a hypocrite,I would never in a million years wear a fox,wolf or any coat made from dead wild animals,but a few years back,I bought a shearling knee-lenght coat,the warmest wintercoat anyone can have.
I also love soft leather and suede:sad:
This is where conflicts occurs,(the culture clash) if you were in india with a cowhide Jacket is would be considered horrible as many there view the cows sacred, in China cats are used as a source of food much like a cow is here, so the cats furs becomes a waste product of their meat industry just like a cow hide.( I am not going to get into barbaric methods of killing, there is bad here is north America as well.) Because view cats as pets to us it is offensive, in France horsemeat is considered a delicacy.

It is are individual cultures and upbringing that make view certain things as offensive, if you had been raised elsewhere your views would be different.

Quote:
much if the animal's being consumed anyway. But killing an animal just for its fur is wrong, IMO. Unless someone NEEDS to, like they live out in the middle of nowhere and are killing wild animals to clothe their children, etc. But for most people these days it's just a fashion statement.
Not to many aboringinals which kill and animal just for fur for its clothing, they tend to make full use of the animal and most aboringals also view animals as gods and having souls so there is also a ceremony that perform for the animals soul and prays of thanks for providing for their needs, they have a high respect for the animals they take.
Quote:
For the average person,it would be difficult to tell,dogfur is at times rough and could easily pass for faux-fur,unless you check really close.
yes but a place like Macy's or The burlington fur factory or any of the upper retail chains should know the difference between fur and faux fur in long haired trims should be even easier due to undercoats and al one needs to do is split the fur and look at the base fabric most are knits that the faux fur is weaved into, yes it can be more difficult to tell which fur came for which animal unless you have had a lot of exposure to furs
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old February 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Furball Farmer

You guys should check out PETA's website, watch the videos....some of them made me cry.
It is definitley alarming to see how some people in our world treat animals, to many an animal is nothing more than a dollar sign.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Furball Farmer

Here's the link:
http://www.peta.org
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

O-G,I wish the whole world would respect all animals as the creatures we share this earth with.
It's not only France who eat horsemeat in Sweden,Holland they do too,I have.
I understand different cultures chosing to eat foods we do not see as acceptable.
IMO,it is not the fact animals are slaughtered,but the way it's done and the miserable life many animals have before death.

I am well aware of the goings on in our slaughter houses,the new Bill currently numbered 373 on animal-cruelty is once again on the table.
I doubt it will pass(again!)but if passed could possibly change some of the methods in the way we treat our food-source.
Different cultures should never be an excuse for cruelty,whether its about a bear spending his life in a cage,his life slowly beeing sucked out of him,while the bile from his liver is used for some outdated beliefs(China),or a shark drowning because his fins are chopped off to make a very expensive soup,cat/dogs skinned alive and discarded for their furs for $$$$,or a Bull "fighting" a brave human,while he is skewered with swords,it's a never ending horror..