Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 27th, 2006, 09:10 AM

How do you introduce your pup dog into training!

Could I get some advice on training my dog, I can never get her attention like if I was out in an open feild with her, I have never done this before so i am a willing learner. I need to know certain basics like what "command" to start with, "treats or meat", Has anybody been ever trained a GSD and how?

I feel its best if i start now. is she too young at 5 1/2 months for basic to hard training.....?
Old May 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there anywhere near you where you could take her to school? Puppy classes are great, they learn basics such as sit, down, stay and healing. They also learn how to be with other dogs and distractions. Comming when called is a hard one but something they need to learn so they can have the freedom to run and be trusted to come back to you.

I have my current foster a 3 and a half yr old in school now, he is also a GSD, he has been picking things up very fast, I think it was more me that needed the training than him, he loves going and it is good for both of us, it helps to have a trainers direction.
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:07 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

come and sit are good ones to start with. when she learns sit, you move to down and for treats, it can be whatever she really likes. If she knows you have a treat that she loves, the getting attention is easier.

Have her on a long lead and call her name with a slight tug on the laed to get her attention.

When she does what you want, big smile treat and tons of praise. make it an awesome experience for her to obey you.

And 5.5 m is not too soon to start.
my melei is only 5 months and we already have drop it, leave it, sit, down, recall, speak, shush, go to bed, up up (get into the van), dance, reach for the sky, and which hand learned. we are making great progress with shake but she has a problem with rollover but we are working on it.

The sooner you start the better. I have trained dogs before, but if you are new, get into a puppy class. you will not regret it. I presonnally learned most of my dog training from my dad and then my son wanted to join 4-H and a dog club was included in our local here and we learned so much, including some starting points for agility.

Read, Research and advice from pros is the best for new owners.

I am not a pro, or an expert. (maybe an amatuer with some experience?) but I will help anyway I can.

Last edited by Melei'sMom; May 27th, 2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Performance Spaniels

You need to start small scale. What sounds like offleash in an open field is stuff that a lot of people can never fully master.

It's like university, when your dog hasn't done kindergarten yet. You need to start indoors, low distraction level, and slowly work from there. Far too many interesting things to occupy a dog in a field.
Old May 27th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Puppy classes is something I just cant afford, Im approching this training business without these methods, which sound great but its not for me. How does this sound, Shes already been getting out ALOT nearly everday to parks to play, shell have to brought to remote places and has to realise that it is no play, but work, where she is kept on a lead, taught, sit, down, heel,.....ect with treats and verbal praise.....This is possible without the method of obedience classes!!!

I beleive that if taught right these German shepherds can do almost anything...and enjoy it too...
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:22 PM

If you can`t do classes, there are a lot of books that have detailed methods for training. I don`t have any particular ones to recommend (although I`m sure other members might) but if you could spend some time in a library or book store checking out a few, you might find some good tips.
Old May 28th, 2006, 01:22 AM

I think when you said "I've never done this before", the automatic response is to bring her to obedience. It's not just their techniques. They teach you how to teach a dog- what gets through, what doesn't, and so on.

And a lot of places teach kindergarten free or at a reduced rate, hoping you'll go back for the other lessons.

5 1/2 months is actually getting late to start training, IMO. You should have started gradually from day 1. It's never to early to be your dog's leader.

As for commands, the best ones are the simplest ones and the ones that come out first. If your dog is eating garbage and the first thing out of your mouth is "drop it", then use that because in a pinch, that is what you will say. You know?
Old May 28th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Schnoodle lover

re training your puppy

Hi I also have a puppy i am training and i am also new to this but i have read a lot of books on training .They all say the same thing basically you should start of with the basics sit ,stay, come and you have to be diligent and keep on top of them.They learn similar to children by repetition .Have you ever heard of a clicker .I have used it on many ocassions and have had good results with my puppy thus far .The first step in clicker training is to do what they call loading the clicker . you would click it and watch you dog for him to pay attention to it when he does praise him or her and reward if that is the way you choose to do it if not praise works just as good once he comes follow up with the command and remember lots of praise . Remember they want to please you because you are the alfa male to him or her. repeat this until the puppy comes to you every time you click the clicker after that you can use the same technique to train him to obey every command you put forward.Also remember hitting does not work but ignoring him or her does when puppy is bad if you have a place to put him like diligent in a room this will help him or her to understand right and wrong .Iam no expert buy any means im just outlining what worked for me at this time .Feel free to i.m me if you need some advice and let me know how you are making out thanks .
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Long Term Member

I don't think she is too young for training, however I think you may want to try a puppy training school... obidience classes...
Shyla did extremely well in classes and I think its good for all dogs to try that.
Good luck
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old May 28th, 2006, 11:57 AM

You need to start at kindergarten, and then work up to university (in a busy park). Begin at home, inside, dog on leash. Once you have a 90%-100% response there, take it to the backyard. Then the front yard.. Then on a quiet street. Then a busy street. Then an empty park. Then a semi-busy park. Then a busy park on a sunny sunday. Then outside an elementary schoolyard at recess time. Etc. You can't expect perfection at level 8 when you haven't put the foundation levels 1 through 7.

Good luck!