Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 17th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Exclamation Chewing paws

Both my Labs constantly chew on their paws. I've asked our vet why they do this and she had no answer. Any ideas??
Old January 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM

I have no answer, but I am soooo glad you asked this question. I am curious to know, because our new dog seems to have this little nervous habit also.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sometimes dogs chew their paws due to contact allergies. Our dogs lick and chew their feet when certain grasses are dropping pollen. I've also known dogs that had allergies to carpets or the soaps that were used to clean the carpets.

How badly are your dogs chewing, Babybear? Are they damaging their pads?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Garden nut

Spread their toes apart and looked for irritated skin under the fur. Maybe there is an allergic reaction to their food, or a possible yeast problem.

Other than that I have no idea.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Doggie Wench

Are they chewing on their nails or the pads of their paws? If the pads, it could be a slight fungal infection or an intollerence/allergy issue. Are the roads salted where you walk them?
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
-

I agree with all of the above. Also, what brand of food are you feeding them?
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:55 PM

Someone on another forum posted this issue also with i believe their bernese mountain dog. A french mastiff breeder mentioned that sometimes it irritation caused by a bacteria which can be killed by using a 50/50 vinegar and water solution and dipping the feet. I have also seen in pet stores mild hydrocortisone (spelling?) for minor skin irritations
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Swift Tribe

we finally put Mister on a homemade diet. he has an allergy to soemthing in all of the kibbles we have fed so far. we have since then tried a few kibbles and he gnaws on his feet and rubs his face/shakes his ears a day or two after eating kibble (and thus whatever is common in them that he is allergic to)

we try to keep things simple in the house. the only complex chemical-y thing we use in the house is a swiffer. everythign else is either baking soda, vinegar or ever so rarely bleach.

look into food being the issue! there are several other thigns it could be but food is highly suspect!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 17th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Half Way To Crazy

could it be from bordem??
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:35 AM

All of the above replies are good suggestions

I'd like to add some dogs will chew their feet because their nails are too long & it hurts when they walk. How long are the dogs nails & when was the last time they were trimmed?

If they click on the floor when they walk, your dogs nails are probably too long - a vet or groomer can trim the nails for you & show you how to do them yourself.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM

chewing paws

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
could it be from bordem??

Could be. I know my dog is a wanderer. She has a lot of energy.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM

Chewing paws

Both my labs are on lean beef & rice diet. Neither have allergies and their nails are kept trimmed. They both seem to chew in the nails and their pads but don't damage the pads. Their pads are very dry and I spray daily with a protector spray. They sure don't like me touching their feet either. I take them to a groomer for nail trim as there is no way they will let me do it. The female, Shyanne, will once in awhile but not Bear.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybear View Post
Their pads are very dry and I spray daily with a protector spray.
Maybe it's something about the spray, the taste, the smell, the way it makes their feet feel? thankfully not a problem I have had to deal with, good luck
Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:11 AM

Nell licks her feet due to allergies.In summer we have contact allergies from certain grasses as well as food allergies all year.In the summer she is on one vanectyl p every three days which stops her from chewing her feet.She's also allergic to chicken,beef and lamb so we use the Eagle pac holistic with fish proteins as well as a raw fish base diet.We did six months of exclusion diets as well as allergy tests.If it's just the feet it could be boredom,but if they seem itchy everywere and you've checked out soap left in parasites etc it could be an allergy.
Old January 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM

My two German Shepherds are 5 years old and have had this "paw chewing" habit for the past 2 years, along with recurring ear infections. However, the paw chewing and ear infections didn't occur at the same time. The ear infections were treated with aniti-biotics and one dog had to have her right ear packed. BUT...our vet couldn't figure out why both dogs were chewing their feet all the time to the point the skin between the pads became reddened. He suggested we go to the drug store and purchase "Nizoral".

Nizoral is a "shampoo" that kills the fungus that can cause dandruff and seborrhea.

Our vet told us to wet the paw(s), rub on some of the shampoo, massage it so it goes in between the pads and leave on for 10 minutes, but don't let them lick it. Then RINSE THOROUGHLY to remove the shampoo. We were to do this once every 3rd day and it worked! We only had to do it TWICE.

Also, the vet suggested we try another food and recommended "Wellness" brand, specifically the 'fish & sweet potato' flavour. Because my dogs were having recurring ear infections and the itchy feet, he suggested the food. I was told that some dogs can't tolerate beef and alot of other common ingredients found in the majority of dog foods and could be causing the 'itchy' foot reaction. He said the new food would take about 3 months for us to notice a difference. We changed their food to this Wellness brand and specifically the 'fish & sweet potato' flavour and they haven't had a single ear infection since. We also keep a bottle of Nizoral on hand now for future use.

Also...an elderly neighbour has a black poodle who was also chewing his feet incessantly. Her vet did not know what to suggest. I told her about the Nizoral, she tried it and "Louis" the poodle hasn't chewed his feet since and her dog has been paw chewing for 8 years!!

Hope this is helpful information for you. If you decide to try the Nizoral, I sincerely hope it works as well for you.

Old February 1st, 2008, 08:53 AM
Garden nut

Yeah our vet said to get an anti-fungal shampoo. But I got a doggie version and it doesn't seem to help much. Although Belle's front feet are now almost all healed up but her back paws that were once not affected are now affected and so is her anal area. But she only goes into itchy mode once a day now in the morning after waking up and rarely paws at her muzzle lately and her ears are both healed. She has a vet appt next week I think or sometime soon and I'll let him know what's happened and see what else he says.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:19 PM

Our bichon did the same thing for the longest time. Would chew on his paws and lick almost constantly. He actually licked all the hair from the top of his front legs but he seems to have almost stopped. The hair is growing back now, but he still licks a little.

The dogfood that came with him wasn't great (i realize that now), it was a premium puppy mix of something or other but we let him finish it. But since switching diets and shampoos (got the oatmeal as suggested by members here), he's fine and thriving...

Now if I could just get something to slow him down
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:35 PM

Good luck in getting your Bichon to slow down!

You wouldn't really want him to slow down, you want him to be active and curious but of course, respectful to the fact that it's really MOM who wants to slow down.

Cheers!
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM
-

Quote:
Both my labs are on lean beef & rice diet. Neither have allergies and their nails are kept trimmed. They both seem to chew in the nails and their pads but don't damage the pads. Their pads are very dry and I spray daily with a protector spray. They sure don't like me touching their feet either. I take them to a groomer for nail trim as there is no way they will let me do it. The female, Shyanne, will once in awhile but not Bear.

Do you mean that you are only feeding them lean beef and rice?
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:59 PM

Smile

No, not only lean beef and rice............................i'll try the nizoral and see. Thanks Everyone!!
Old February 6th, 2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
No, not only lean beef and rice............................i'll try the nizoral and see. Thanks Everyone!!

Hey Babybear: Just me buttin in again...I'm almost positive the Nizoral will work for you. Good luck and let us know.

Cheers
Old March 21st, 2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Spread their toes apart and looked for irritated skin under the fur. Maybe there is an allergic reaction to their food, or a possible yeast problem.

Other than that I have no idea.
My oldest cocker used to lick and bite her paws... we talked to Tonka's breeder and she recommended switching to a raw diet.

We switch and sure enough no more licking or biting.
Old March 21st, 2008, 01:09 PM

It could be a variety of reasons. Maybe food? Do you spray your grass? My friends's Collie has an allergy to grass. Do you have a veterinary dermatologist that could run some allergy tests? It is best to get to the root of the problem, so that culprits can be avoided!