Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old December 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Well, you seem to be looking for a fight, so I guess so.
Oh no no no, I'm not like that. Are you? I'm just speaking the truth. You gave yourself your answer right there. Too new to establish pack order. It comes with time, give the woman a break. She rescued a dog and saved a life.

I see why so many people only post here a few times and then leave. They get attacked for no reason and that's a real shame.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:50 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Are you responding to me?
i am too by the way...open discussion for all

Greaterdane needs all the advice she can get for te best outcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1 View Post
Sounds very odd from the rescue,I didnt even know it was legal to have that many dogs in one home in Ontario.
I'm outside of the city limits, so its ok here. The new house is also just outside the city limits.

Saved a life eh? I don't know how you can say that without seeing pictures.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
We only want what is best for him. My MIL is more then willing to take him if needed.
that is good news... poor phoenix. after all he's been through, and now this. you are VERY lucky the dogs only got a few stitchable injuries - you could have come home to one dead dog, or a dog with pieces of his face missing :sad: I hope you make the right decision and save everyone alot of stress and burnt energy, place Phoenix with your MIL (he will then still be "part of the family") and restore peace in your home. Like was stated before we're human and all make mistakes, you wouldn't want another one like this happening again... why take the risk? Good luck with everything...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
i agree with that pack order thing. In the wild when there's 2 alphas they fight until the death or until one leaves. And perhaps...I don't know i'm only speculating, the presence of 2 humans around 6 dogs isn't strong enough to dominate over an alpha dog, and chances are Phoenix too wants some reign in his new home. It's only fair for him, i'm sure he wishes for some pampering only for himself I'm sure. He's probably jealous. Who knows....
This is incorrect information in my opinion. If 2 dogs are dominant, the other 4 have nothing to do with it. It's the humans place to be alpha, the rest should all be viewed as equals. There are too many dogs who need homes to give up so quickly. If greaterdane wants to try and make things work is she wrong for that? Seriously.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Saved a life eh? I don't know how you can say that without seeing pictures.
Would you like to enlighten me? Afterall I must not know all that you do.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:53 PM
cat slave

Quote:
It comes with time, give the woman a break. She rescued a dog and saved a life.
ok so mistakes do happen. We hear you greaterdane. We just want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

And rescuing a dog goes way beyond just taking some animal in your home. You need to follow up and make sure you keep that animal safe otherwise you're only doing half the job.

Sorry if you feel intimidated by our answers. We're just very concerned about this dog, and the dane and the chis and Ozzy.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM

It's not my place to enlighten anybody, I'd say.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:54 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

I know I'm really lucky too, mine :love: each other C
Attached Images

Old December 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

That is crucial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
ok so mistakes do happen. We hear you greaterdane. We just want to make sure this doesn't happen again.

And rescuing a dog goes way beyond just taking some animal in your home. You need to follow up and make sure you keep that animal safe otherwise you're only doing half the job.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Sounds very odd from the rescue,I didnt even know it was legal to have that many dogs in one home in Ontario.
I think it depends on each cities bylaws, not sure where greaterdane is but here in London, the bylaw is 3 dogs per owner so if my hubby and I were just bf/gf I could have 3 and he could have 3.

Are ya really going to consider the chi's into the dog factor? there so tiny they should count as one
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Just wanted to lighten the thread a bit

But really GD said she doesn't usually allow them alone, she admitted to fault and took them to vet with follow up. What else but learn from it, that's it
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:57 PM

I feel that crating them when alone IS making sure they're safe from now on. Don't you? If aggressive behavior begins it can be immediately corrected.

I'm sure a NILF-type method would be used with the pack for a while until they adjust properly.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:59 PM

I guess we differ on what's best. IMO, it's best that this dog be an only dog in his home.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Just wanted to lighten the thread a bit

But really GD said she doesn't usually allow them alone, she admitted to fault and took them to vet with follow up. What else but learn from it, that's it
I agree. I think the tone here by some is very threatening and unpleasent. Isn't everyone here to support and help one another?
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterdane View Post
We only want what is best for him. My MIL is more then willing to take him if needed.

Does your MIL have other dogs? I also think he would be better in a home without an alpha male. And, like TD said, he would still be in the family. After all he's been through already he deserves that.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Actually that is not the case in London if you live together,it is a maximum of 3 dogs per dwelling,regardless of whether the person is the owner of the dogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyP View Post
I think it depends on each cities bylaws, not sure where greaterdane is but here in London, the bylaw is 3 dogs per owner so if my hubby and I were just bf/gf I could have 3 and he could have 3.

Are ya really going to consider the chi's into the dog factor? there so tiny they should count as one
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

What was "very threatening and unpleasent"?
Quote:
I agree. I think the tone here by some is very threatening and unpleasent. Isn't everyone here to support and help one another?
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Very well said,
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Actually a lot of us are here because we want to help animals, which is what we're trying to do.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:03 PM
-

Originally Posted by jiorji

Well said, jiorji.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow
think the tone here by some is very threatening and unpleasent.
i think it's just the way you perceive things, as you are new and don't yet know the "personalities" on this board... we all have different ways of communicating but are all on the same side: the side of the dog (or cat)

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Actually a lot of us are here because we want to help animals, which is what we're trying to do.
Is that what you're trying to do here? Seriously, I'm not trying to start a fight or have a problem with you. I NEVER post here. I saw this thread and it's sad to me. Are you trying to help a dog who is already being helped? The owner is doing the right thing.

A mistake was made. Can you tell me you've never made a mistake? She learned and is going to do the best thing for the dog now.

Please, save your energy for the animals who REALLY need it.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
An Honest Contributor

Maybe there's more to this story, I don't know but GreaterDane rescued Pheonix and made a mistake today. All's I know if my dog ever fight, I'm not telling you
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM

The dog isn't being helped, IMO- that's what I'm saying. Having a home with good intentions isn't everything if the dog's safety is in jeopardy.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:07 PM

I'm sorry I messed up. They should have never been left out together. They were doing so incredibly well, that we didnt think there would be an issue. I'll call my MIL and see what we can do.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM
-

Quote:
Yes we are always here for each other. That's why we're trying to help greaterdane.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Actually that is not the case in London if you live together,it is a maximum of 3 dogs per dwelling,regardless of whether the person is the owner of the dogs.
Then we must have been very lucky, having a single family home split as a duplex(not really) 2 upstairs on the main(not really) and 3 in the basement(not really)(5) living in the same house with acouple fosters here and there. Bylaw officers didn't have a problem.
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Prin is,as are many others who have posted.
Quote:
Please, save your energy for the animals who REALLY need it.
Closed Thread