Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old June 11th, 2011, 01:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My guess would be that he's been trained to go outside and is still a little nervous about going inside. He knows he has permission, but it goes against ingrained habit, so he's showing what looks like confusion. I'd worry more about something with his brain if he had just peed inside somewhere with little or no warning. As it was, he signaled that he had to go and when he did finally go, he knew what the pee pads were for (but was maybe still a little uncomfortable using them inside where he'd been trained not to go).

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2011, 04:40 PM

I haven't updated in quite awhile and thought I should. Raggs has been doing well (keeping my fingers crossed after saying it) for the last several weeks. There have been no more weird bathroom behaviours, so it must have been a one time deal. He's been happy, keeping the cats busy by chasing them or barking at them.

With the heat, his hind legs have been weak some days and ok on other days. On the weak days when it is hot, he rarely goes outside even to pee, uses the pee pads instead and poops on them too. His aim has been pretty good most days and I've had no issue at all with him doing this because I think he is afraid he will fall on the stairs when going outside

His gums remain pink even though he seems weak at times but is enjoying his homemade diet thoroughly and a few homemade treats that I've made.

One thing that has happened is my oldest cat, Sam, hasn't been well the last couple of weeks and is obvious about how he feels. I told Raggs that "Sammy is sick" a few times and Raggs no longer barks at him and allows him to sleep on his own bed during the day when Raggs isn't using it. He has even chased the other cats away from Sam when they tried to bully Sam. They know better because Sam is king of the cats, but they still try at times. It appears to me that Raggs is protecting Sam instead of fighting with him the way he used to. Now that Sam is better, Raggs does fight with him now and then when Sam gets in his way. Raggs seemed to know that Sam was sick Surprised me
Old July 4th, 2011, 05:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So glad to get an update--especially such a good one!

Sorry about Sam, though. What's going on with him? Still problems with crystals?

It's amazing how perceptive they can be about their buddies, isn't it? Good boy, Raggs!

Sending for both of them!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

dbg, this is the first time that I have read this thread of yours about your Dear, Brave Raggs. The love, time and effort that you have shown him has helped him to survive 6 mths + from his dx's. Congratulations and I am praying that he has many more days, weeks and months. patti
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:28 PM

Thanks Hazel and Patti I do appreciate the feedback and Patti I'm glad you enjoyed the read, that is the reason I have updated fairly regularly. For awhile there it was very touch and go, but recently he has been holding his own in good shape. I just keep my fingers crossed that things will last. It is awesome how perceptive they are especially since Raggs has only been around for a year and a half.

Hazel you asked about Sam, I have posted about him here: My oldest cat diagnosed with Chronic Renal Insufficiency
Old July 5th, 2011, 10:35 AM

I've been watching for an update. I'm glad it is a good one. And I hope Sam is feeling better. Wonder if sweet Raggs knows he has an international cheer squad!

After Tipper got sick, Mac allowed her to sleep on one end of his favorite bed. And curled up near her. I don't know how they know, but they do know when a family member isn't feeling well. Thanks for the update.
Old July 5th, 2011, 12:53 PM

Thanks scottiedog I think Raggs must know he has a cheering squad because he's done so well over the last 6+ months.. Sam is definitely feeling better this week and Raggs knows it because he's now treating him like he usually does, barking at him and chasing him away from his bed.
Old July 11th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Stopping by to send extra ear scritches to Raggs Glad he is doing well
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
Stopping by to send extra ear scritches to Raggs Glad he is doing well
Thanks Maxalisa

I need to update this thread because it appears with all this heat in southern Ontario Raggs has had another 'bleed'. His gums are pale and the tumour has very little pink skin on it, mostly dark blue like a bruise. He has been sleeping a lot and his hind end has been very weak despite the fact he's been getting his UbaVet and Metacam daily. Two nights ago, I hadn't seen him in a couple of hours. I knew he was in his bed so I went to see him and see if he was hungry. He was breathing so shallowly I thought he was dead but after a few pats he finally woke up and looked like he'd been deeply asleep. His fur was cool from the A/C and I think he was finally getting a sound sleep after the heat of the previous day. He's still eating but about half as much as before but his treats are still very much a hit with him. Last night he ate much faster than the previous night and showed me he was actually hungry. The night before I questioned whether he was hungry at all.

I've kept him inside, pointed him to the pee pads when he has to go and he's been using them most of the time and not asking to go out. He still wants to go out on occasion but I have been really reluctant to let him out in the heat. He is losing large chunks of fur right now, mainly I think because he's occasionally going outside into the heat and coming right back in after he does his business.

Every day seems a little better, two days ago he stayed in his bed most of the day. Yesterday he was out lying beside me for about half the day and today he's been lying beside me since I got up so looks like he's improving every day

I used to update this thread as soon as I noticed that he had a 'bleed' because I thought immediately that we were nearing the end, now I am waiting a couple of days to see if he improves or goes downhill. So far he's been improving and since I have my each time I think he's had one, I am not as scared as I once was. I think he's also having the severity of symptoms of the 'bleeds' as much as he did shortly after he was diagnosed or maybe they just aren't as large a bleed as they once were.

Raggs is still arguing with the cats and tends to pick on Smokey the most because Smokey is the one who rubs his muzzle all over Raggs's muzzle every time he gets a chance. Raggs has been good to Sam lately because when Sam is around I always say: "Sammy's sick, Raggs" and Raggs even let's Sam lie on his bed at times. Sam has been fighting with the other cats because they seem to be pushing their luck with him for alpha status. Bailey has been lying on the stool that Sam uses to get on my bed, preventing Sam from getting up and Tiger has been trying to eat Sam's food both wet and dry at meal time. So I find I have to supervise their meals and again later at night when they all want to get on my bed. As for Sam, Smokey doesn't really bother with him at all, just does his own thing. They are a constant source of entertainment for me. especially when Sam and Raggs seem to be improving.

I would say today that Raggs is holding his own while improving slightly every day
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Great news What a worry they can be.

Lots of hugs and kisses to all your furbabies

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:58 PM

Thanks Sylvie I appreciate all the good wishes for Raggs, I believe that is what has kept him going for so long since his diagnosis.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

dbg,that's great to hearhopefully Sam will be hanging in there too
and they will both continue doing good.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the good wishes Chico2 I really appreciate them and as I said to Sylvie I believe all those good thoughts and prayers has kept Raggs going for all these months.
Old July 24th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Senior Contributor

You guys make such a wonderful team

This weather is so tough, I have to imagine how difficult it would be for Raggs. I"m glad that he is getting better after this last bleed, just amazing

I don't know if this is something you're interested in, but this is an herb that some have used with hemangio, it's to help stop the bleeding. I don't personally have any experience with it, but my vet said that it's used a lot: http://www.shopsuigetsu.com/Yunnan_B...baiyaocaps.htm

But I have to say, you've done a great job

Always more ear scritches and hugs for Raggs
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:54 AM

Keeping you, Raggs, and Sam in my thoughts. Glad everyone is hanging in. I know it is hard, but just a day at a time. We are all cheering for you all.
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxaLisa View Post
You guys make such a wonderful team

This weather is so tough, I have to imagine how difficult it would be for Raggs. I"m glad that he is getting better after this last bleed, just amazing

I don't know if this is something you're interested in, but this is an herb that some have used with hemangio, it's to help stop the bleeding. I don't personally have any experience with it, but my vet said that it's used a lot: http://www.shopsuigetsu.com/Yunnan_B...baiyaocaps.htm

But I have to say, you've done a great job

Always more ear scritches and hugs for Raggs
Thanks so much for the suggestion Maxalisa. I read about this drug when I first tried all the different herbs and additives in his diet and I know there was a reason I decided not to use it, but I honestly can't remember what it was, now. I'll go back over the information about it, to see if I remember what it was. I think the fact that he stared barfing and having diarrhea as I added the different things made me decide that a plain cancer diet without any additives other than vitamins and minerals, flax seed, olive oil and sardines, had as good a chance as any to help him. So far so good, He seems to be holding his own. The tumour appears almost smaller than it was originally, but of course I have no idea what's growing inside. He still seems happy and contented, eagerly eats two meals a day plus a few home made treats.

The only thing I see right now is he seems to be molting even more than he was in the spring. His entire coat seems to be coming loose in chunks, but there is healthy shiny new fur replacing it. His new coat looks good. There is another thing that I've noticed in the last month or so, every time we have a thunder storm he gets really frightened, especially if it's in the middle of the night. His Thundershirt has helped get him through those occasions and me leaning off the side of my bed, patting him continuously, It seemed an odd thing to start so late in life, but maybe he just didn't feel comfortable enough to show his fear before now.

All in all we are beyond 7 months since he was diagnosed and he is definitely still holding his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post
Keeping you, Raggs, and Sam in my thoughts. Glad everyone is hanging in. I know it is hard, but just a day at a time. We are all cheering for you all.
Thanks Scottiedog for your continued thoughts and prayers, we really appreciate them. I do believe that the forum thinking of him and praying has been one of the reasons Raggs is still with us. I also updated Sam's thread today and he seems to be improving too.
Old August 9th, 2011, 12:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Has the thyroid been checked lately? Sometimes thyroid issues can get worse with illness.

Hope Raggs is doing well today, and I wish him no thunderstorms!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM

Sorry for the delay in answering you MaxaLisa but he seems to be going slowly down hill. He has had no blood work done because my vet believes he is nearing the end and doesn't believe anything we do now will improve his life expectancy. We've now made it to 8 months since diagnosis but I also think he may be nearing the end.

The other day I noticed that he had blood in his urine but it seemed to clear spontaneously the next time he went. I've been forcing him to use the pee pads by not letting him out, but he also doesn't seem to be going as often as he was, nor peeing the volume. In other words he's not soaking the pads any more. I expect he's heading into renal failure so I have increased the rice in his diet and reduced the protein, by reducing the amount or beef/chicken and the amount of chicken liver per day. He is definitely weaker than he was in the hind end but seems happy still. He's still arguing with the cats, and participating at treat time. He just seems to be slowly going downhill and other than the bloody urine, there have been no other major signs. He was seen by the vet a week ago for weight and nail clip and that's when she told me she thought he was nearing the end. He has been sleeping more than he was, but is happy and eager to meet anyone who comes to visit. He's been out for his car rides about 2 times a week.

My sense is that he is nearing the end and from his reactions at the vet last week I think it would be hard on him to have blood drawn or any further examination. His weight was up and I think because I haven't increased his food or treats, that it is the tumour growing. He didn't want to be there at all and tried to leave on several occasions. She also had to muzzle him for the first time when she cut his nails. So sadly I spend as much time as I can with him, knowing we're probably on the last leg together.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 05:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

awwwww, dbg, Raggs has outlived the vet's expectations and he just may again.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Crap!! I am sitting here in tears. I am so sorry to hear the news dbg but so proud of Raggs and his accomplishments. He has surprised a lot of people. What a pup!!
Please know my thoughts are with you and Raggs as you continue down this path. It is so hard having seniors. I am facing the same with both of mine.
Be strong for Raggs - as hard as it is. Know others are thinking about you both.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Raggs has a wonderful mom. I know this journey will be difficult. I am facing this with Annie also. I fear this will be her last summer. The vet figures she is now 15. Sigh. Well wishes for your pup..

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm hoping for yet another rally, too! But even if it doesn't happen, what a run you and Raggs have had! I don't think he could have been in better hands!

Old August 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg10 View Post
So sadly I spend as much time as I can with him, knowing we're probably on the last leg together.

I am so sorry to hear this. You two have done amazing things together, and he has made such great rallies under your care.

After such a close and hard fought disease process, I have to think that you are very in tune with him. I too am hoping for another rally, but I hear that change in your tone and not just your words, and I'm sure it reflects the changes in him that you are observing.

I hope that you are able to make the most of the time that you two have left together. He sounds like he is still happy and enjoying the extra time that he has been given.

Do keep us posted on how the both of you are doing.
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:55 AM

We can find beauty in the twilight through our tears.

I know you are cherishing each moment with Raggs. You and Raggs are in my thoughts, heart and prayers each day. He has a remarkable spirit and that spirit will stay with you.

I have to say, with my two, I also had the feeling you are describing, so I know how this feels. I also am hoping for another rally, but sweet Raggs has defied the odds so many times. He is such and inspiration. Sending you strength.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Critter Lover

Just caught up with you and Raggs, sending hugs and prayers
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:36 PM

Thank-you everyone for your prayers, good wishes and hugs from both Raggs and I. I am a little more upbeat today than I have been and I neglected to mention something the other day that I should have said. I love that phrase you used Scottiedog.

When he had the 'bloody urine' he was running around with his leash on waiting to go out for a car ride. His hind legs were weak and he had dropped down onto his belly a few times while he was waiting for me. One time I noticed some bloody, watery drops on the carpet under him. That is what I thought was bloody urine. Later he left a streak of bloody watery substance on one of his pee pads when he dropped down onto it. Again I thought it was urine but when I thought back on it, it could very well have been discharge from the tumour from when he dropped onto his belly and his leash that was hanging down between his legs. When we got back from the trip to the store I tried to look at the tumour and washed his entire belly but there was no blood there. I wasn't able to see the bottom of the tumour because it is larger now and hangs down from his belly. I could only examine it by feeling and I couldn't feel anything that might be a scab or point that would allow the tumour to drain. I do know there is definitely blood in the tumour. it is hairless and the upper part closest to his belly is a blue/black colour like a very dark bruise. There was no further bloody drainage from anywhere that I could find. So I still don't know where it came from.

Until last night he had been peeing small amounts onto the pee pads buit no where near as much as normal. Then all of a sudden he came running out of his bed into the living room and squatted on a pee pad to pee about the same as he had been. I went into my bedroom and low and behold his sheet that was on his bed and the pee pad under it were absolutely drenched with pee to the point that I had to wring them out. He must have been holding all that pee for days and only peeing the overflow on the pee pads. The reason he came running out was he always does when he has peed on his bed and wants it changed. I congratulated him and gave him a treat for going pee hoping to make sure he doesn't make a habit of holding it (if he has control over it). His hind legs had been extra weak and I'm sure that's why he didn't go out to pee, he was probably afraid of falling on the stairs (that's why I keep all the pee pads around)

Then a few hours later he went to a pee pad and peed a fair amount again - not a large volume but about a normal amount. He was thoroughly treated and told he was a good boy. I'm hoping we're beyond this now, his behaviour last night was normal and he relished all his treats and his second meal so keeping my fingers crossed that we have found the problem for now

I had assumed when I posted the other night that he was going into kidney failure and that's why I was so pessimistic. He appears to have fooled me again even though he does look like he is deteriorating I hope we have passed the crisis point again for now

Thanks to everyone for helping me keep him going, we appreciate everything you've done
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg10 View Post
I had assumed when I posted the other night that he was going into kidney failure and that's why I was so pessimistic. He appears to have fooled me again even though he does look like he is deteriorating I hope we have passed the crisis point again for now
I am so glad to hear of the upswing. I sure hope this is all about the pee pads, and that he's passed this issue!
Old August 26th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

What a good boy Raggs is,going on the Peepads
Every time I open your posts I am worried,but so far it's relatively good news.
It must be so very difficult watching Raggs struggle,but elating when he picks up again.
You are both very brave and in my thoughts every day
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:46 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Still sending and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers! Yay, Raggs! Way to rally!

Old August 29th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Just passing through and sending my best to Raggs...