Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 20th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Question Neo overexcited when people return to house.

Hi, We have just adopted a 14 month old Female Neopolitan Mastiff from the Magayuk dog rescue. She is a beautiful great natured dog who has obviously had some obedience training and is very socialized with humans and other animals. Our problem is that she becomes very very excited whenever anyone comes back to the house after leaving.... and I mean excited, she jumps up (something she doesnt otherwise do) and knocks the person over with excitement she also pees while she is jumping around... she won't calm down at all for quite some time - ***she does this even though she has not been left by herself.. we have made sure that one of the family is with her at all times. She is particularly excited when the men of the house return and goes wild, alternately jumping high then throwing herself onto her back on the floor then back up high again for 20-30 minutes at which point she calms down and becomes her normal self until someone leaves the house and returns... she doesnt do this anywhere else. It's not that she wants out to excersise because she will be exhausted from a walk and will still do this the moment someone from the family comes back inside the house.

I have a 10yr old daughter that I am concerned will get accidently hurt by Shady during these episodes.... Has anyone experienced this kind of behaviour in a large breed rescue dog before? or do you have any advice for me on how to stop this?

This is not behaviour that was mentioned by the rescue when they told us about the dog or exhibited by the dog on our visit... I have left a message for them asking their advice also.
Any help/thoughts would be appreciated....
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I have no experience with large dogs. Obviously she really likes you!
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:09 AM
banned user

Pets.ca has some good tips on the excited/submissive urination:

http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-14.htm
Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I have the same problem with my pit bull. She goes berserk when anyone comes to my home. She never does this when *I* come home though!

The only difference is that my dog doesn't pee when she does this.

I have been advised NOT to allow this behavior. Your dog is getting away with acting like this, so it is encouraging her to do it.

I was told to IMMEDIATELY put her outside on my deck (you can use a crate too) when she starts going nuts, and only let her in when she calms down. If she starts to carry on - back outside/crate.

In this way, she will learn that acting like an idiot gets her the OPPOSITE of what she wants (attention) and that greeting people politely gets her petted.

Make sure no one greets her excitedly when they come home, looks at her or pays any attention to her unless she is behaving. If you crate her, make sure she is has been calm for a minute before you let her out.

I can understand your concern! My dog is only 77 lbs and is bad enough.

Since your dog is SO huge, and potentially could cause injury accidentally, I really suggest you consult a trainer about this problem if you cannot correct it yourself.

Have you enrolled in obedience school? She needs to go anyway.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Ignore her when she does this. It may be hard for you since she is so big, but when she starts jumping use your arm to push her off and head the opposite way. Just ignore her when she does it and she'll get over it. If you can, have her on a leash with a collar that you can control her with on and hold her until she is calm enough to greet the person nicely.
Old July 26th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Ignoring her is the way to go but I have owned a Neo and they are large and heavy so ignoring them can be almost impossible. My suggestion is when leaving do not make a fuss over her just say bye and leave upon returning do not make eye contact say hi to her and if she starts to jump tell her no and put her in the backyard (if you have one) otherwise you will have to ignore her. Do not put her in her crate she will then associate the crate with punishment creating a whole other issue. These dogs are very smart and wil test you so you must remain the alpha dog. My neo was also a rescue and you do have to allow the dog to start to feel comfortable and trust you, once they have really bonded with you they will do anything in the world for you they like all other Mastiffs are the best and bond so strongly with their owners. You will start to notice how she responds to you in more positive ways the longer and more comfortable she is with you and your family. If you have any questions you can always pm me.
Old July 31st, 2004, 09:11 PM

Red face Separation Anxiety

Although this situation is probably not true separation anxiety, we recently adopted a year-old shih tzu mix. While we did not have the problem with his size, he was very excitable. He would jump like crazy, among other things. The first step is to ignore behavior. Keeping the dog crated (if you have crate trained him) while you are away can help. I found that keeping my dog leashed and in a "down" position helped to prevent the jumping, however you may want to invest in a Halti head harness to control a dog that size. Also, be sure to keep the dog under control when your daughter enters the home until the training is complete. Good luck!!
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:07 PM

I recently saw on one of those training-type TV shows (don't remember if it was "Good Dog" or "Pet Guys") that said when a big dog is jumping up, one way to curb it is to lift your knee just as the dog is jumping up so that you catch her in the chest, and say "No!" at the same time. You're not kicking her - she's actually running into your knee, so the force is all hers. A big dog like yours won't be hurt by this, but she'll get the idea that it's not ok for her to jump.

Good luck!