Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old September 14th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Exclamation lovebird lovers!! help!

Okay. Here's my semi-quick intro:
I wanted a lovebird, very badly. My parents said no, they're too loud. However, my younger sister wanted a lovebird and formerly had budgies who she loved so I suppose that made her a better candidate for a bird, in my parents' minds. I got her a little young lovebird, hand-raised and precious, for her birthday on March 3. She almost cried because she was so happy, but now...

Scout, her bird, has been moved out into the family room because my sister gets annoyed by her in the morning. She gets the bird out for about fifteen minutes every three days, and my mom changes the cage and toys regularly with complaint. I always offer to take the bird to my room and take care of it myself since she's not getting much attention, but that's when my sister chimes in, "NOOO IT IS MY BIRD!"

On occasion I will try to handle Scout, but she's grown aggressive. Probably from being so lonely. She bites everyone now, though my sister claims she doesn't bite her. How much interaction do lovebirds require? And does anyone have any helpful re-taming tips?

I feel so horrible for Scout...
Old September 14th, 2006, 04:13 PM
owned by Tucker

My daughter has a love bird, yes they are noisy, get your sister to cover the cage at night and then uncover it when she gets up in the morning a dark cover would be best as it makes the cage dark and the bird still thinks its night. My daughters bird is not hand trained but will go on a stick for you and does get out for exercise daily. It probably has gotten agressive due to lack of handling, but they do seem to take to one owner more than another, when there is only one bird as they make them their pair. There are some good sites out there for lovebirds and one great forum here are two that I have on my bookmarks hope it helps you some. They are funny birds at times. http://www.lovebirds.co.nz/main/index.php
http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/communi...splay.php?f=13
Old October 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Females also tend to be nippier than males.My daughter has a little male who's almost seventeen and is a doll.He used to go to riding camp with her every summer and all the girls would play with him.They are really social birds,so need a lot of attention Burford is in my daughter's room and spends 4-5 hours out of his cage.As far as noise he's better than the grays or my other daughter's quaker
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM

It is just how female lovebirds are in their sexual prime are. Only the males are the little cuddle bugs.

I have a female, she's about 3. She loves me, slightly. But everyone else? Forget it. She charges like a linebacker. And bites. Hard.

Not particularly noisy birds under normal circumstances if they are well fed and rested -- unless you have a few or they get bored.